Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

Expressions of Manticoran wealth

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Expressions of Manticoran wealth
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:There is a planet in the Honorverse that converted to lisp, and generated a device to summon all the resources needed so that they could use LISP for everything. They also have an errorfree complete set of computer programs. Alas, the resource summoner in order to make the code work had to summon all the parentheses...in the universe...so that all the places you think you see a parenthesis in David's writing you are actually seeing a { or }.

Yes. Parenthesis. Lots of parenthesis. But not just any old parenthesis. Beautiful, sophisticated, simple, powerful parenthesis. And the software manages them for you. Matches them all up. And even closes them for you when you inadvertently leave the door open.

Most Lisps can easily be set up to accept {} as parenthesis as well. Auto substituting where found. If it doesn't, it can easily be extended to do so. I've found Lisp to be the fastest prototyper around. You think of a subroutine that you need and in less than a half hour, tops, you have it. Error free. First run. You want to change it. Change it on the fly. See the results immediately! You can begin coding a program top down, bottom up or inside out. You can begin coding any part of your program that you want at any time. Code as you are feeling. There is no top or bottom of a Lisp program. If you can think it, you can accomplish it yesterday in Lisp. In half the code. Half the time. None of the headache, and none of the errors. And you can do it without premeditated thinking. Spontaneously. Without so much as even a thought given to a flowchart. Lisp logic is its own flowchart. What a refreshingly powerful language and a powerfully refreshing one too.

And again, you can program it to write its own code when the time is right. Get your favorite language to speak with that kind of lisp.

It'll even turn a light on for ya.

The admiralty can't figure out how Sir Horace keeps getting into their computer. He uses an anonymous lambda function.

First... Let there be Lisp. Then there will be light.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hornblower   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Somehow the thread has been captured by LISP ;)
Post by biochem   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:50 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Having the students number their own cards was a good idea on paper, but it neglected the human element.

Ahh. That human element again. More good ideas have failed because of that than anything else.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

So this is where they go.

Forget about the filthy rich. This is where the sordid opulent go to break bread. Back undergound, in caves. The disgustingly dirty rich simply carve a restaurant out of the earth.

How is this for romance? Can we say bucket list?

A friend of mine read this thread and sent me the particulars on this. He is an American living in Italy. He married a lovely Armenian girl. He fell in love with her beautifully long and luxurious hair. Yea, and she's beautiful and sweet too - one of my sister's besties. What's with Armenian girls and their hair? They have so much of it -- and are renown for their beautiful locks. As beautiful as my sisters' (Native American).

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/foodand ... spartandhp

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

biochem wrote:
cthia wrote:Having the students number their own cards was a good idea on paper, but it neglected the human element.

Ahh. That human element again. More good ideas have failed because of that than anything else.

It is said to be the most prolific element on Earth. It can be found anywhere - with an atomic number that is assumed.

Return to Honorverse