Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Haven - cutting welfare

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Haven - cutting welfare
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:
Relax wrote:When people get things for free, they waste them. They have no work value for what they receive and therefore they do not respect what they are given. Basic human nature. It defies logic all these utopian idiots running around ignoring basic human nature.

Why a swift kick in the ass in the long run is better than a hand out.

Basic human nature, yeah right... Problem for you is that reality keeps on disproving your definition of "basic human nature".

What you refuse to notice is that "human nature" is highly differentiated between individuals.

Base human nature is not different between individuals. Individual moral choices are different. Human base nature is the same. IF there is not a countervailing pressure against our base nature, it wins. The countervailing pressure in this case is that individuals have to work for what they own and therefore conserve what they own.

Look no further than rental equipment verses owned equipment. Rental equipment is abused and destroyed. Owned equipment is not.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

DDHv wrote:
Thomas Sowell wrote:In both England and the United States, the massive expansion of the welfare state since the 1960s has been accompanied by a vast expansion in the amount of crime, violence, drug addiction, fatherless children and other signs of social degeneration.

Coincidence or causation?

Neither. If anything, the rise of problems was the reason for trying to improve the "welfare state". And it´s rather a disnomer calling it that considering how inept it was.
In USA, it´s probably more correct to call it the "malfare state".
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

feyhunde wrote:
I worked as an engineer in a fab right before automation took away about 70% of the jobs due to the switch to 300 mm. We had a bunch of employees whose jobs were to move wafers around the fab or put them in tools. Some of them who were motivated might be able to make the jump to process or equipment tech, but it was hard. Everyone but the senior techs are out of the industry.

Hell, I've got multiple engineering degrees, and my field of engineering has collapsed due to the 200mm to 300mm jump removing the need for as many engineers.

Which ironically raised some parts of the manufacturing costs so much that there will probably not be another industrywide jump for a long while, possibly "ever".
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Relax wrote:
Base human nature is not different between individuals. Individual moral choices are different. Human base nature is the same. IF there is not a countervailing pressure against our base nature, it wins. The countervailing pressure in this case is that individuals have to work for what they own and therefore conserve what they own.

Did you know that it has been shown by now that egoism isn´t human nature, but a learned trait?

And the first study that came to that conclusion went into the study with the expectation to find "growing up" to reduce egoism in children, instead they found the youngest to be the least selfish and most "same for everyone".

Your "basic human nature" is about 90% cultural indoctrination.

Relax wrote:Look no further than rental equipment verses owned equipment. Rental equipment is abused and destroyed. Owned equipment is not.

That depends on where you look. And your claim actually proves nothing at all as you distort reality by not taking all variables into account.

If you count by how much rental equipment is used, it is generally less "abused and destroyed" than owned equipment.
If you count by number of users, and remember to consider how many of those users are inept users, it would be strange if rental equipment did not get damaged drastically more often than owned equipment.
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:00 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Selfishness is learned eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is amusing is that you actually believe that.

I take it you have never observed human behavior nor been around children.

What is a child's first or second word they say? NO! MAMA! DADA! or MINE!(If they have older siblings)

2 of those 4 words are completely SELFISH. I would easily argue that all 4 are selfish as MAMA/DADA is a source of food and other needs to be met.

Your "study" is as brilliant as a child's dirty diaper.

Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control are all learned.

I can't wait for your reply. It will be hilarious.
Last edited by Relax on Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Sorry Tenshinia, but he has got you there.
Much as I loved my kids and then grandkids they had to be civilised by much discipline over time. At first they were totally selfish little savages, then with much effort turned into the caring people they are now

As to the rental versus owned debate, I own several rental houses, that turn over every year or so. The one I'm refurbishing right now has wall to wall 16 months old quality carpet full of cigarette burns, a multitude of minor maintenance tasks that any owner would have fixed as they occurred, and just plain neglect. About par, we've had better and worse. When buying a home to live in it pays to check if there are rental houses nearby, as often they don't care.

Relax wrote:Selfishness is learned eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is hilarious is that you actually believe that.

SO, I take it you have never observed human behavior nor been around children.

First word or second word they say is: NO! MAMA! or MINE!

2 of those 3 words are completely SELFISH. You could easily argue that all 3 are selfish as MAMA is a source of food and other needs to be met.

Your "study" is as brilliant as a child's dirty diaper.

I can't wait for your reply. It will be hilarious.
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:39 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Speaking of rental houses, I have one, and last renter had a dog that smeared its diarrhea butt against every wall in the place and its tongue over every window and window screen as high as it could reach. So much drool in fact that the window sills were coated as well. Did the renters ever clean up after the dog?... Was the fenced in yard full of dog turds when they left?(so full there was not a single square foot that did not have a "pile" in it)... :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Didn't even mention all the scratched up doors, destroyed window screens, scratched up kitchen floor. No, they did not get their deposit back. Spent 4 weeks cleaning the place.

Rental homes are generally quite easy to see when driving through a neighborhood. Their yards are trashed and there is as much rock and pavement as possible with little or no grass. Some neighborhoods have home owner associations who require a nice looking front and therefore rental owners put in lots of rock and pavement so the renters don't have to mow as the renters in question will usually NOT mow, water, weed. (I have an electric mower for my renters) I doubt it gets much use judging by all the HOA complaints I have received over the years. :?

PS. I have not changed carpet in 20 years. Previously I had done so. I learned otherwise. Why bother. It will be destroyed in 3 years by renters anyways even if they allowed you in to clean carpets once a year as it is a guarantee they probably do not even own a vacuum cleaner or use the vacuum cleaner you TOLD THEM IS there IN THE HOUSE FOR THEM TO USE! I have placed more and more tile though. Get rid of all linoleum. Renters destroy it in a heart beat as they think dragging who knows what sharp heavy object across it is perfectly acceptable behaviour. I am now down to just the bedrooms and living room that are carpeted. Everything else is tile other than the kitchen which is wood(dumb I know) but it came that way. Next kitchen resurface job will be tile. Basement is throw rugs only left over from previous renters. I do keep a large section of identical carpet in a locked closet for repairs as renters don't give a damn about spilled coke, gum, candle wax, cheetos, cat urine... etc. If I thought I could get renters who do not have pets into my home on a regular basis, I would demand no dogs or cats as well. I have so far managed to mostly get away with NO CATS and no old dogs as they urinate in every corner of a home. A carpet iron/hot melt glue and a self made carpet stretcher will save you a LOT of money due to the lazy schmucks who rent.

PPS. I don't allow anyone to smoke in the house period. A lot of lazy schmucks smoke and it is one way to weed out(pardon the pun) the dope heads and complete dead beats.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Sorry Tenshinia, but he has got you there.
Much as I loved my kids and then grandkids they had to be civilised by much discipline over time. At first they were totally selfish little savages, then with much effort turned into the caring people they are now

That´s because you´re almost certainly ignoring the first 2-3 years in favour of when you can for certain understand them.

The studies i referred to investigated from a few months old and up.
With the children showing either puzzlement or unhappyness if presented with a show of bias or egoism.
(they basically came up with some extremely simplified theater plays to show individual children comfortably placed in their mother´s arms while watching, filming the face of the infant/child to be able to determine reactions)

Selfishness peaks somewhere around age 3-4. When children have learned to be selfish from their interaction with surroundings(if they have siblings, to a clearly higher degree, especially if their siblings are older), but before they get a more conscious level of empathy.

While not unbiased, this article is a halfdecent starter if you want to actually get into the subject:
http://www.vipoa.org/neuropsychol/1/1
Certainly it is clear that human egoism is insufficient in explaining all aspects of 'altruistic' behaviour. It thus follows that the assumption of universal egoism must be replaced by a more complex assumption allowing room for both egoism and altruism

Unfortunately it is not recent enough to include the results of the studies i referred to.

And a common failure of logic in regards to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycholog ... ircularity

Some minor additions:
http://www.parentingscience.com/newborn ... world.html

Oh, wait, i finally managed to find an article that refers to at least some of the studies i referred to, it´s a bit too old(2010) to include the most interesting ones that were done only a few years ago, but it says pretty much what i said, more or less.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/magaz ... .html?_r=0

A growing body of evidence, though, suggests that humans do have a rudimentary moral sense from the very start of life. With the help of well-designed experiments, you can see glimmers of moral thought, moral judgment and moral feeling even in the first year of life. Some sense of good and evil seems to be bred in the bone. Which is not to say that parents are wrong to concern themselves with moral development or that their interactions with their children are a waste of time. Socialization is critically important. But this is not because babies and young children lack a sense of right and wrong; it’s because the sense of right and wrong that they naturally possess diverges in important ways from what we adults would want it to be.

For many years the conventional view was that young humans take a surprisingly long time to learn basic facts about the physical world (like that objects continue to exist once they are out of sight) and basic facts about people (like that they have beliefs and desires and goals) — let alone how long it takes them to learn about morality.

I am admittedly biased, but I think one of the great discoveries in modern psychology is that this view of babies is mistaken.

And well before their 2nd birthdays, babies are sharp enough to know that other people can have false beliefs.

This was something that is considered an absolute truth that it could not happen before around age 4. It has effectively been disproven by now, but psychology as a subject still considers the old truth the ONLY truth.

In addition, scientists know that certain compassionate feelings and impulses emerge early and apparently universally in human development. These are not moral concepts, exactly, but they seem closely related.

Human babies, notably, cry more to the cries of other babies than to tape recordings of their own crying, suggesting that they are responding to their awareness of someone else’s pain, not merely to a certain pitch of sound. Babies also seem to want to assuage the pain of others: once they have enough physical competence (starting at about 1 year old), they soothe others in distress by stroking and touching or by handing over a bottle or toy. There are individual differences, to be sure, in the intensity of response: some babies are great soothers; others don’t care as much. But the basic impulse seems common to all.

Some recent studies have explored the existence of behavior in toddlers that is “altruistic” in an even stronger sense — like when they give up their time and energy to help a stranger accomplish a difficult task. The psychologists Felix Warneken and Michael Tomasello have put toddlers in situations in which an adult is struggling to get something done, like opening a cabinet door with his hands full or trying to get to an object out of reach. The toddlers tend to spontaneously help, even without any prompting, encouragement or reward.

So nope, he did not "get me there". And your statement is essentially irrelevant due to not looking in the "right direction".
Post by darrell   » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:53 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:
Daryl wrote:Sorry Tenshinia, but he has got you there.

That´s because you´re almost certainly ignoring the first 2-3 years in favour of when you can for certain understand them.

The studies i referred to investigated from a few months old and up.
With the children showing either puzzlement or unhappyness if presented with a show of bias or egoism.
(they basically came up with some extremely simplified theater plays to show individual children comfortably placed in their mother´s arms while watching, filming the face of the infant/child to be able to determine reactions)

Selfishness peaks somewhere around age 3-4. When children have learned to be selfish from their interaction with surroundings(if they have siblings, to a clearly higher degree, especially if their siblings are older), but before they get a more conscious level of empathy.

I take it you have never seen a couple of 2 year olds fighting over a toy. it is not a pritty sight and my nephew had to go to the hospital because of it.

your refrence http://www.vipoa.org/neuropsychol/1/1
Results
Of a total of 1881 potentially eligible records, 97 original theory articles were included in the present systematic literature review.

in other words, they looked at over 2,000 reports, more than 99% were not used because they proved you wrong.

Your refrence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycholog ... ircularity
The debate
Psychological egoism is controversial.

Your reference: http://www.parentingscience.com/newborn ... world.html
and the fact that newborns prefer their parents dosen't sound like they are altroistic to me.

your favorite refrence: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/magaz ... .html?_r=0

Psychologists like myself who are interested in the cognitive capacities of babies and toddlers are now turning our attention to whether babies have a “naïve morality.” But there is reason to proceed with caution. Morality, after all, is a different sort of affair than physics or psychology.

So even your strongest refrence dosen't even know if babies know right from wrong, nor can he show that babies and toddlers are not selfish.

the only act of altruism that he claims is that a baby will crawl to an adult for attention. He calls it altruism, I call it selfishness, born from boredom.

Baby's may be drawn to the nice guy, but lets call things like they are, they prefer the person that gives them things, which is a selfish trait, not an altruistic trait.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:49 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The notion of infants with a moral sense seems a bit counter-intuitive, but I suspect that it can't be completely dismissed. It's a fascinating discussion, but not one that can be brought to a clear conclusion on the basis of what we currently know. So caution is indicated. All of us face the temptation to hunt scientific evidence for our own viewpoint rather than simply searching for the truth.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse