Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Is the entire Madras sector colonised by Scots?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Is the entire Madras sector colonised by Scots?
Post by munroburton   » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:12 pm

munroburton
Admiral

saber964 wrote:IMHO the first couple of colonial expeditions would be very, very expensive and would likely be a multinational effort, with multinational colonists. IIRC Beowulf was the first extra-solar colony. If you look at the last names of the people you get a multi ethnic mix of names that are IIRC German, Russian, Spanish, English, Chinese, Japanese, Polish etc. in origin. Later as more and more colony expeditions depart it would get less and less expensive to mount expeditions. As the colonizing efforts get less expensive it would get easier for single nations, ethnic groups or other groups e.g. Grayson or Pontifex to mount expeditions.

Aye. I really don't think the rich folks will pack up and bugger off on the first ships - colonisation has to be proven as viable. See Manticore, which launched well into the Diaspora.

I figure the first few colonies will be "proof-of-concept" efforts. That means public backing, not private. Technology may make it viable to ship millions of people off and if it's relatively cheap, then there's your answer to the climate crisis. Richer countries already pay poorer ones to reduce environmental damage - why not get people to leave the planet entirely?

Let them ride off into deep, dark unknown space in ships built by the lowest bidders. A scattergun of experiments. And if any prove remotely viable, pull out the stops for the third generation of colonies.

Part of the issue is the unknown - there's far more incentive to go somewhere you know can home you. The Manticore colony launched late with the benefit of improved technology, left behind a trust to send forth any advances and went to a surveyed system with three habitable planet. They were immensely well funded and actually did pay for a number of top-up colonists whilst simultanously selling land and titles to wealthier and skilled colonists.

Compare with the Grayson colony, which launched much earlier into the unknown with crude technology, no backup and only the barest confirmation of a planet orbiting in the habitable green zone based on telescope observations. The majority of rich people aren't going to do that.

As for the Madras sector, all I can say is we Scots love our curries. ;)
Post by Annachie   » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:53 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Honor and her mother (naturally) are of Asian stock.

As to diversity there are supposed to be more people of Greek extraction in Melbourne than Athens, but being of Greek extraction doesn't mean solely that.

Regarding the spread of Scots and Irish around the world you can blame the English aristocracy for that. When they wrote the laws to enable themselves to have the clearances (getting rid of the rural residents to free up estates to make money) they sentenced whole peoples to emigrate or starve.

Not quite.
Melbourne was second behind Athens, but I think has now dropped to third behind Thessaloniki. Was the basis for an Olympics bid at the time.
Does have over a million Itallians, or their kids, or around 20% of Melbourne's population.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
In short, who is sending colonization ships will vary with who has the cash. And since we know there may be hundreds of years worth of generation ships still underway, it could very well be that many of those ships are from the places which are considered the poorest nations now - because they will be the richest nations left when they left Earth.

With the addition that there will also probably be some occasional "expeditions" that goes off on pure random luck(scrapyard rocketry for dummies and the like) and probably some more "political projects", which will be noticeable when they are done by nations that would otherwise not really be in the running for sending off colonisation efforts.

For example, Brazil as a nation might be able to manage, even if it lacks the assets to do it easily. South Africa the same but at a worse starting point.
While places like Malaysia or Taiwan, places that has the tech and money, just not big enough to do fullscale projects, might either cooperate, or try to do downscaled projects.

And of course, there´s always the enthusiasts and the weird ones. Some of them are bound to be successful sometimes. :D

Not disagreeing, just adding onto it.
Post by jtg452   » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:37 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

BobfromSydney wrote:As far as my brief research can discover, the percentage of the current world population that is Scottish is somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 a percent.

I'm just re-reading Shadow of Freedom and it feels like every single planet we encounter is populated by Scots/Scotch-Irish! To me it feels so unlikely that it is dissolving my suspension of disbelief.

What's going on? Why are there so many Scots in the verge/near Meyers?

See what the Scots and Irish are capable of when they can get away from the English? :D

If it wasn't for the English and whiskey, the Scots and their Irish cousins would have ruled Earth, too. :lol:
Post by Louis R   » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I suspect that the whiskey had rather more to do with it than the English.

Or has it escaped your attention just how many of the people actually running the British Empire were Scots? And an astounding percentage of them from Orkney, as it happens.

jtg452 wrote:
BobfromSydney wrote:As far as my brief research can discover, the percentage of the current world population that is Scottish is somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 a percent.

I'm just re-reading Shadow of Freedom and it feels like every single planet we encounter is populated by Scots/Scotch-Irish! To me it feels so unlikely that it is dissolving my suspension of disbelief.

What's going on? Why are there so many Scots in the verge/near Meyers?

See what the Scots and Irish are capable of when they can get away from the English? :D

If it wasn't for the English and whiskey, the Scots and their Irish cousins would have ruled Earth, too. :lol:
Post by BobfromSydney   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:40 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

Sorry for the thread necro but having struggled through reading a planet of Polish names I certainly appreciate sectors full of Scots far better.

The reason why I started the thread in the first place was not because I've got anything against Scots (one of my groomsmen was a Scot) but rather that is seemed statistically unlikely that there would be so many Scots in the storyline.

When I came up with the figure of 0.33-0.5% of the world population that was including Scots living outside of the UK based on what figures I could find for places like the USA, Canada, Australia etc. I forget how I counted Scots-Irish but I think I included them in that figure too.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:34 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:
dscott8 wrote:... don't you think that a lot of ethnic, cultural or religious groups would choose to have their own planet?

Another point is any group who is going to go form a colony by definition has 2 items going for them
1) they doesn't want to be here
2) they have the financial means to leave.

Refuge (Where Abigail got her ground combat merit badge punched By Matteo Guttierez) Was colonized by religious isolationists who swapped their aveny possessions for a 1 way ticket off. yes textev says the gov't. made a bit off the trade. But Prichard paid foe the last thou+/_ to depart on the "lost transport" haven's First republic was doing well, colonized other planets.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Honorverse