Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S, tlb and 170 guests

Attack missles

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Attack missles
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:09 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:Actually Harold, you may wish to count again. There's only ten laserheads.

You need to work on your spacing then; I counted three in each of the two quarters I could see and interpolated another six for the two quarters I couldn't see. :D

Still, whether ten or twelve, the point stands: The lasing rods are effectively the "MIRV" element to OP thinks they need.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Relax   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:30 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:You need to work on your spacing then; I counted three in each of the two quarters I could see and interpolated another six for the two quarters I couldn't see. :D

I suggest a trip to your optometrist.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:36 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:I suggest a trip to your optometrist.

Scheduled for Feb 2016. :shock:

Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:48 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Weird Harold wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:Actually Harold, you may wish to count again. There's only ten laserheads.

You need to work on your spacing then; I counted three in each of the two quarters I could see and interpolated another six for the two quarters I couldn't see. :D

Still, whether ten or twelve, the point stands: The lasing rods are effectively the "MIRV" element to OP thinks they need.

They are spaced as they are because of the mounting brackets that can barely be seen between each laserhead. Also, the horizontal space is taken up by a reaction mass tank (one on each side) for the forward RCS systems.

Here's a wireframe of the mesh taken head on:

http://i.imgur.com/Vok1vof.jpg

The black is the laserheads, the light green is the mount for the laserheads. The ends of the locks (the long arms) retract to release the laserhead and the LH's RCS thrusters kick them outwards, then forward. Yes, the missile has stopped accelerating at that point. The short arms are the data and power connectors.

Sure, I could fit more in there, if you don't mind them rattling around because there's nothing holding them in place. Tie-downs, locks, clamps, whatever take space and it was already tight enough getting ten in there, with the dimensions I was given to work with.
Post by DrMegaverse   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:08 am

DrMegaverse
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I wonder perhaps if it'd be possible, and useful, to make a MIRV type missile which could release multiple CMs with which you could smack a ship and cause some kinetic damage to the armor. A "real" Dragon's Tooth as it were.

I can't see such a weapon being useful except in some very specific circumstances and I'm not even sure how much damage a purely kinetic weapon would do to HV armor though.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:14 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

DrMegaverse wrote:I'm not even sure how much damage a purely kinetic weapon would do to HV armor though.

None at all if the sidewalls and wedge are up.

In previous discussions, I think it was determined that three to five CMs would fit in a Mk23 sized "Canister" round; that means you would have a choice of five "warheads" with a stand-off range of zero vs ten lasing rods with a stand-off range of thirty-million kilometers. I know which I would pick. :D

Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:34 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:In previous discussions, I think it was determined that three to five CMs would fit in a Mk23 sized "Canister" round;

We argued that, I think expert opinion was no, it won't fit.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:56 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:We argued that, I think expert opinion was no, it won't fit.

The Viper won't fit. Possible the most modern CM won't fit. The CMs that were loaded in pre-war and first war Canister Rounds at five per canister should fit.

It still wouldn't make an effective anti-ship MIRV warhead, though.

Post by Maldorian   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:54 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

Maybe I couln´t follow the whole discussion! I thought, a Laserwarhead and a normal nuclear warhead have the same size and are exchangeble.

My Basic thought was, carry more warheads to the enemy and release them outside the defense range of the enemy. The warheads would use a small engine like the Chupacapras to reach their target.

But the Point is, I think I had a wrong imaginaion about the Honorverse missles! Maybe it is a translaion mistake or else. I thought, multi Level missle in Honorverse are the same as in reality. You know the our big missles? You start them and if the first part is out of fuel you cut it away and start the second Level of the missle.

The Picture
http://img15.deviantart.net/babc/i/2014 ... 7pa3gf.jpg
don´t look like such a missle.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:34 am

munroburton
Admiral

Maldorian wrote:Maybe I couln´t follow the whole discussion! I thought, a Laserwarhead and a normal nuclear warhead have the same size and are exchangeble.

My Basic thought was, carry more warheads to the enemy and release them outside the defense range of the enemy. The warheads would use a small engine like the Chupacapras to reach their target.

But the Point is, I think I had a wrong imaginaion about the Honorverse missles! Maybe it is a translaion mistake or else. I thought, multi Level missle in Honorverse are the same as in reality. You know the our big missles? You start them and if the first part is out of fuel you cut it away and start the second Level of the missle.

The Picture
http://img15.deviantart.net/babc/i/2014 ... 7pa3gf.jpg
don´t look like such a missle.

You are thinking of a multi-stage missile(or rocket), where used engine stages are simply jettisoned when they expire.

In the later Honorverse, they use a multi-drive missile. Each individual drive is only capable of a X amount of acceleration for Y time before it burns out, which is why they use several of them. They don't decouple any parts until the end of their run when they blow the sheaths and kick the lasing rods out before the warhead goes off.

The SLN's cataphract is kinda a multi-stage missile, using a separate countermissile drive and power system for additional range and run-time. It does not drop any stages or parts, however, as the first activated stage also carries the warhead assembly.

Return to Honorverse