Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Last Honor Harington book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Last Honor Harington book
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Meshakhad wrote:First, I think we can assume that by "two mainline books" he means "not counting the accompanying Saganami Island and Wages of Sin books". So really six books left.

That would be a bad assumption since RFC has said the Saganami and Torch series are done and anything new will be "mainline."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cnrd22   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:41 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Meshakhad wrote:First, I think we can assume that by "two mainline books" he means "not counting the accompanying Saganami Island and Wages of Sin books". So really six books left.

There are no more separate Saganami/Wages of Sin books, everything from now on is mainline, DW only; second the series will not necessarily end with the (total) defeat of the Alignment, but end at the point where further action would happen a few decades down the line - which DW may or may not write depending on health, energy etc; also, in the same podcast DW hinted that he may throw Haven in disarray (he said he isn't decided at least officially) by having President Pritchart incapacitated/killed as he purposefully didn't include a Vice-President office on Haven for that twist - so it may not be all smooth sailing for the GA, not to forget the rumored tens of millions of deaths on Beowulf in the next book...

So, I can easily see a wrap-up in 2-3 books, with the Alignment supposedly destroyed (maybe the known Detweillers killed but as they are clones...), the Solarian League splintered and the Mandarins meeting their well deserved fates, the GA victorious and a settlement including the Renaissance Factor as one of the successor states of the League with all quiet for the moment...
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:58 am

roseandheather
Admiral

cnrd22 wrote:

There are no more separate Saganami/Wages of Sin books, everything from now on is mainline, DW only; second the series will not necessarily end with the (total) defeat of the Alignment, but end at the point where further action would happen a few decades down the line - which DW may or may not write depending on health, energy etc; also, in the same podcast DW hinted that he may throw Haven in disarray (he said he isn't decided at least officially) by having President Pritchart incapacitated/killed as he purposefully didn't include a Vice-President office on Haven for that twist - so it may not be all smooth sailing for the GA, not to forget the rumored tens of millions of deaths on Beowulf in the next book...

So, I can easily see a wrap-up in 2-3 books, with the Alignment supposedly destroyed (maybe the known Detweillers killed but as they are clones...), the Solarian League splintered and the Mandarins meeting their well deserved fates, the GA victorious and a settlement including the Renaissance Factor as one of the successor states of the League with all quiet for the moment...

SO HELP ME GOD

IF HE KILLS MY GIRL

YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW HOW I WILL REACT

*throws self bodily in front of Eloise Pritchart because she is a pure shining gem who must be protected at all costs*

DON'T DO IT RFC

I BEG OF YOU

TAKE LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE IN THE SERIES

LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE

BUT PLEASE DON'T TAKE HER
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by kzt   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

You have to be strong!
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cnrd22 wrote:

roseandheather wrote:
SO HELP ME GOD

IF HE KILLS MY GIRL

YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW HOW I WILL REACT

*throws self bodily in front of Eloise Pritchart because she is a pure shining gem who must be protected at all costs*

DON'T DO IT RFC

I BEG OF YOU

TAKE LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE IN THE SERIES

LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE

BUT PLEASE DON'T TAKE HER

I'm not going to say 'I told you so' in several posts scattered in the past. I'm not even going to reference my post in a discussion long ago that questioned (and answered) 'how long can an alliance last?' -- to depend on how long Pritchart lasts. Assassinations are Haven's playground, and the assassins gun can and will be trained on domestic soil as well. He or she who 'rises to power by the gun' also 'dies by the gun.' Oh, I won't say any of those things because it isn't nice to say 'I told you so.' Uh uh, no way.

If Eloise is assassinated then Elizabeth is right. "The leopard never changes its spots." With Eloise 'only the brain changed its spots' and not the heart.

If it happens rose, you have my shoulder to cry on. I'll be crying along with you. The difference being that I may have been the only Honor Harrington to conceive of it, so I stocked up on my favorite tissue before Lacoon II killed the import of the ultra softs. I'll share the case.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:09 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Soon as I read the remark above, I wondered immediatley "how would rose react?" Just about as expected... ;) :)

cthia wrote: I'm not going to say 'I told you so' in several posts scattered in the past. I'm not even going to reference my post in a discussion long ago that questioned (and answered) 'how long can an alliance last?' -- to depend on how long Pritchart lasts. Assassinations are Haven's playground, and the assassins gun can and will be trained on domestic soil as well. He or she who 'rises to power by the gun' also 'dies by the gun.' Oh, I won't say any of those things because it isn't nice to say 'I told you so.' Uh uh, no way.

If Eloise is assassinated then Elizabeth is right. "The leopard never changes its spots." With Eloise 'only the brain changed its spots' and not the heart.

I would slightly disagree with out, citha, in the "leopart never changes it's spots". Haven can ride out a crisis if Tom Thiesman is still there as the focal point. It might be bumpy, but he will stay loyal to the idea of democracy, and will pull Haven with him.

Which does not mean, of course, that certain...unsavory...politicians come to the fore...happens all the time in our world.

We shall see, eventually.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:17 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

so if pritchett dies but Thiesman survives they stay on course?

ok, i can see that but who would he chose to replace her, because no matter what the constitution says it WILL be his choice.

Kevin Usher? no he's too useful running internal security, though if he drops the ball on this he may be forced out but that would just make him more dangerous if there are no rules to hold him.

so that means they would probably have to take him out at the same time which puts VICTOR in charge! oh boy talk about out the frying pan into the fire!!!

so who would take over?
Post by cnrd22   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Dauntless wrote:so if pritchett dies but Thiesman survives they stay on course?

so who would take over?

I think that if DW chooses to go that way, he may just incapacitate her rather than killing her outright; I am fairly sure we haven't seen all the dirty tricks of the Alignment and that would be the place for most effect as of now. Definitely would make things interesting.

Imho the main take from the recent podcast (and the previous long interview from Poland?) is that DW clearly understands that the way things evolved (GA so superior to everyone else since those decades when the Solarian league was supposed to start catching up until the Alignment was revealed had to be skipped) cannot be artificially reversed, so there needs to be quick, seemingly final ending but (some of) the bad guys will escape and get those decades to prepare...

I think DW clearly states that the ending he wants to have in print in April 2018 is a (major) modified form of his original planned ending in AAC, so not a fully final (whatever that means of course) one, so in this context again the 2-3 book ending makes sense.
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:38 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

cnrd22 wrote:

so who would take over?

I think that if DW chooses to go that way, he may just incapacitate her rather than killing her outright; I am fairly sure we haven't seen all the dirty tricks of the Alignment and that would be the place for most effect as of now. Definitely would make things interesting.

Imho the main take from the recent podcast (and the previous long interview from Poland?) is that DW clearly understands that the way things evolved (GA so superior to everyone else since those decades when the Solarian league was supposed to start catching up until the Alignment was revealed had to be skipped) cannot be artificially reversed, so there needs to be quick, seemingly final ending but (some of) the bad guys will escape and get those decades to prepare...

I think DW clearly states that the ending he wants to have in print in April 2018 is a (major) modified form of his original planned ending in AAC, so not a fully final (whatever that means of course) one, so in this context again the 2-3 book ending makes sense.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. They've found and dealt with Boskone (Darius,) but have no clue about Ploor, let alone trying to dig Lintel out of the woodwork.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:15 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

ok, i can see that but who would he chose to replace her, because no matter what the constitution says it WILL be his choice.

Kevin Usher? no he's too useful running internal security, though if he drops the ball on this he may be forced out but that would just make him more dangerous if there are no rules to hold him.

so that means they would probably have to take him out at the same time which puts VICTOR in charge! oh boy talk about out the frying pan into the fire!!!

so who would take over?

Probably Leslie Montreau, if their line of succession is remotely similar to ours - wait, do we know who their Speaker and President Pro Tem are?

Otherwise I'd love to see Ninon Bourchier in the role.

But all of this, you understand, is hypothetical because it's not happening.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse