Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 47 guests

Last Honor Harington book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Last Honor Harington book
Post by richardinor   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:24 pm

richardinor
Commander

Last night I listened an interview with RFC on last week’s BAEN pod cast. Near the end of the interview RFC stated that he has a goal of completing the Honor Harington saga and have the last main line Honorverse book done by April 2018. That is the 25th anniversary of OBS.
Re: Last Honor Harington book
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:44 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

interesting.

a tough challenge but doable if there are no more then 2 books and he doesn't get sidetracked by other projects
Post by Theemile   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:interesting.

a tough challenge but doable if there are no more then 2 books and he doesn't get sidetracked by other projects

Notice he said "done" - not published. 3-4 could be possible in ~30 months if he sidelines some other commitments, especially if the writing just flows and he's already started book #1. If he did stretch it to 4, the last would probably be published in mid 2020 or so.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:58 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

There are a lot dangers in an author finishing a series to finish a series.

Look at Ringo's Black Tide Rising series. personally I could have done without rush at the end of book 4. But IMO he wanted to complete a series too many fans belabor the point that Ringo never finishes a series.

So had this wonderful series ends it in a way that is a disaster, again IMO, just to finish it.

Sometimes it is better to just let the reader finish the story with the readers own imagination.

RFC less likely to do that but ... be careful what you wish for.

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by boballab   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:03 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

thinkstoomuch wrote:There are a lot dangers in an author finishing a series to finish a series.

Look at Ringo's Black Tide Rising series. personally I could have done without rush at the end of book 4. But IMO he wanted to complete a series too many fans belabor the point that Ringo never finishes a series.

So had this wonderful series ends it in a way that is a disaster, again IMO, just to finish it.

Sometimes it is better to just let the reader finish the story with the readers own imagination.

RFC less likely to do that but ... be careful what you wish for.

T2M

Well he isn't exactly done with the Black Tide Universe...Can you say ax wielding Keldara loping off Zombie heads? I knew you could. Also his wife has forbidden him from completing a series because of what happened after book 4... he went into mourning for the series and couldn't write until he caught the MHI bug, which led to a cross of the Ghost series to Black tide.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by Erls   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Not knowing how RFC writes, I can't comment on his style. But, I do know that GRRM (Song of Ice and Fire) typically ends up cutting a ton of material he has already written from a book as it goes towards publishing and that material then serves as the base of the following book. Not every Honor book could go that way, as there are certainly some that have clear splits between them. But others are much closer in time/continuity and the first chapters of the second could have been at the end of the first.

I guess what I'm saying is it is always possible that if he gets into a groove he is just going to write - disregarding when a 'book' ends, and once the story is done go back and split it into separate books. That would lead to a longer gap before the next one, but have the rest of the story come out in tighter sequence.

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong. Perhaps BeauNine has an insight as to his style and how many more books are expected.
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:17 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

richardinor wrote:Last night I listened an interview with RFC on last week’s BAEN pod cast. Near the end of the interview RFC stated that he has a goal of completing the Honor Harington saga and have the last main line Honorverse book done by April 2018. That is the 25th anniversary of OBS.

Depending on how it ends he could easily skip to a point in the future when Honor has be dead for some time. One of her decedents could be dealing with the repercussions of the fall of Solarian League and what ever Mesan Alignment did during Honors time.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:52 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Just heard that the last book will be called "The Steel Crown of the Shadow of Honor", and will consist of 372 pages of politics, 188 pages explaining Honorverse technology, 162 pages of battles, 34 pages of characters making jokes about Victor Cachat's sex life, and a final 8 pages of treecats eating Detweilers.
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Only 764 pages? :(

And will the battles be actual challenges for the GA or more of the curbstomps like the majority of the battles in the last couple of main-series books
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Only 764 pages? :(

And will the battles be actual challenges for the GA or more of the curbstomps like the majority of the battles in the last couple of main-series books

The battle will be 4 RMN pinnances and an unarmed 2 M-Ton freighter filled with rusty nails vs the entire remaining SLN wall of battle. Historians will later refer to it as one of the most evenly sided battles in history.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse