Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Why so little Manticore Ascendent?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Why so little Manticore Ascendent?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

That faction does not want to disarm.
They want to build **lots** of corvettes! :D

HTM

biochem wrote:
Erls wrote:I would assume that the very first thing that the SKM did after the battle was to speed up the refit on the rest of the battle cruisers. As well as increasing the supply of active ships to 100% missiles and auto-cannon rounds.

Of course, that would just be my natural reaction if I was attacked for the first time in a hundred years or so when I thought I was perfectly safe. Re-arm everything I can to full readiness just in case.

Actually that's not a certainty. There appears to be a faction in the house of Lords including Travis's brother that wants to unilaterally disarm so as not to look like a threat to the Andermani. Hopefully they get overruled. Actually we know they will get overruled or Honor would have been born in a Solarian Protectorate not in the free Kingdom of Manticore.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:20 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:That faction does not want to disarm.
They want to build **lots** of corvettes! :D

HTM

I can make a real good case in logic for a hi low mix of Fortresses and Corvettes.

Breakwater would pursue it as the universe is not a safe place and we need what Admiral Truman would call a citadel defense and MPARS should be in charge of it. Optimum bases limited mobility.

Pretty much a win all the way around as far as he is concerned. More budget to his office less available to the Navy.

Which leads to a stupid(American) question. Why the heck is MPARS Under the Exchequer and not the Home Secretary?

Having the check writer also the recipient seems ... stupid. To me anyway.

Enjoy,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:38 am

Fox2!
Commodore

thinkstoomuch wrote:

Which leads to a stupid(American) question. Why the heck is MPARS Under the Exchequer and not the Home Secretary?

Enjoy,
T2M

One of two things:
1. Horsetrading within the Lords.
2. MPARS started as Customs Patrol, just as one of the ancestors of the US Coast Guard was the Revenue Cutter Service. Which is why the USCG was part of the Treasury Department until the post-9/11 reorganization resulting in the Department of Homeworld Homeland Security.
3. Horsetrading in the Lords.
Post by saber964   » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm

saber964
Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
thinkstoomuch wrote:

Enjoy,
T2M

One of two things:
2. MPARS started as Customs Patrol, just as one of the ancestors of the US Coast Guard was the Revenue Cutter Service. Which is why the USCG was part of the Treasury Department until the post-9/11 reorganization resulting in the Department of Homeworld Homeland Security.

Actually the U.S. Coast Guard was a combination of three U.S. agencies the aforementioned Revenue Cutter Service followed by the Rescue Lifeboat Service and the Lighthouse Service.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

1 Because, as Fox2 said,
the USCG belonged to the Treasury.

2 Because DW knew that the USCG was part of the Treasury!

3 The only other Department that CG might have been
assigned to, was State. Certainly not Interior.

HTM

Fox2! wrote:
thinkstoomuch wrote:

Enjoy,
T2M

One of two things:
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:07 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:1 Because, as Fox2 said,

HTM

Yep and thank you both for pointing out that matter of Brain fade.

Brought up a bunch of other issues in my mind I should have remembered.

Putting on his duncecap in the corner,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

[quote="Howard T. Map-addict"]1 Because, as Fox2 said,

HTM

The Lighthouse Board and its successors until amalgamation with the Revenue Cutter Service were also part of the Treasury Department. The Lifesaving Service was administered by the Revenue Cutter Service. The marine inspection and certification function was the only part to come from Commerce.

Q.E.D.
Last edited by Fox2! on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:
Howard T. Map-addict wrote:1 Because, as Fox2 said,

HTM

The Lighthouse Board and its successors until amalgamation with the Revenue Cutter Service were also part of the Treasury Department. The Lifesaving Service was administered by the Revenue Cutter Service. The marine inspection and certification function was the only part to come from Commerce.

Q.E.D.

I should qualify this further that USCG was part of the US Department of Transportation between assignments to the Treasury and Homeland Security.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Nekomando wrote:
My understanding is that because of the time lags still involved in space travel, once the Volsungs left the whole plot is set in motion, Llyn didn't wait around, and the occupation fleet is on the way. Should be fun.

Once the Volsungs left the rendezvous system, Llyn headed off towards wherever his Axelrod overlords were holed up. From whence the occupation force, or orders for the occupation force to deploy, would be dispatched.

Presumably, the occupation force would be keeping station someplace not too far off the rendezvous system - Manticore course, so that the occupation force would arrive shortly (a few days? a few weeks?) after the Volsungs had neutralized the RMN and secured the SKM's surrender.

While allowing a modest period for the traditional plunder and rapine of the conquered territories and people.

But before a SL or RH freighter would be expected to arrive, to possibly carry word of the change of control before it could be totally secured. Inviting a visit from a squadron of the SLN or RHN, to "assume control and settle all disputes."
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:04 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:
thinkstoomuch wrote:

...snip....

Enjoy,
T2M

One of two things:

At least in the 1540s, Customs was still a separate service.

A Call to Arms, Chapter 12, musings of the Baron Fairburn, as HMS Salamander is investigating the status of the SL merchanter Izbica:
And without anything more solid, Customs certainly wouldn't have called in their big brothers in MPARS to board the vessel.

It may be that Customs is limited to the edge of sensible atmosphere, while MPARS is responsible for every thing else in the system. Much like the division between the Manticoran Army and the RMN under the East Quay agreement.

Where have I head of a division of roles and responsibilities before? I know, Kokomo! Or someplace in the Florida Keys??

Return to Honorverse