Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 103 guests

The 5 Most Dangerous Things You Will Hear in the Navy:

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The 5 Most Dangerous Things You Will Hear in the Navy:
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ncwolf wrote:Well, maybe not dangerous, but unpleasant--Is there a naval equivalent to "This is just a courtesy inspection?"

Dangerous? Depending on the culprit, can be handicapping or even fatal if left untreated.

Remember yourself as a precocious bio-scientist in your youth when your mother told you that the onanism you'd accidentally discovered can blind you -- she was sort of on the right track -- or rather, we were. ;) :oops:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:06 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Erls wrote:I would imagine that getting a brand new (and just recently promoted and unknown) CO of the ship addressing a veteran crew before setting off on a 6 month deployment saying "And last but not least, this is going to be a routine, easy mission."

I just think karma bites that in the ass 9 times out of 10, and sailors know it.

Yup, every damned time. :lol:

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by robert132   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

In the middle of February we were preparing to cross from the U.S. to Norway via the Denmark Strait and Arctic Ocean in a 40,000 ton FLAT BOTTOM amphibious assault ship.

I know my naval history and warned my work center guys to "secure for sea," that is tie down, tape down, screw down or otherwise make certain loose gear won't go flying around when the ship starts to get "lively."

My Chief (first time at sea after a career ashore) said "don't bother, this ship won't roll." :roll:

Our second night above the Arctic Circle winds were hurricane force, seas running 40 feet high (no exaggeration, I checked the deck log) with the ship rolling about 10 degrees (very mild to an old destroyerman) when we got hit by two 60 foot rogue waves in close succession.

Ship rolled 36 degrees first to port and then starboard quickly. Crap went flying, people thrown to the deck and heavy gear came loose. Damage all over the ship EXCEPT in my work center.

Think I could get an apology from the "know-it-all" Chief? I'd have been shocked if I did.

And I didn't even slop my coffee. :P

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by saber964   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:11 pm

saber964
Admiral

robert132 wrote:In the middle of February we were preparing to cross from the U.S. to Norway via the Denmark Strait and Arctic Ocean in a 40,000 ton FLAT BOTTOM amphibious assault ship.

I know my naval history and warned my work center guys to "secure for sea," that is tie down, tape down, screw down or otherwise make certain loose gear won't go flying around when the ship starts to get "lively."

My Chief (first time at sea after a career ashore) said "don't bother, this ship won't roll." :roll:

Our second night above the Arctic Circle winds were hurricane force, seas running 40 feet high (no exaggeration, I checked the deck log) with the ship rolling about 10 degrees (very mild to an old destroyerman) when we got hit by two 60 foot rogue waves in close succession.

Ship rolled 36 degrees first to port and then starboard quickly. Crap went flying, people thrown to the deck and heavy gear came loose. Damage all over the ship EXCEPT in my work center.

Think I could get an apology from the "know-it-all" Chief? I'd have been shocked if I did.

And I didn't even slop my coffee. :P

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. My first deployment we went through the front quadrant of a typhoons and took a 42 degree roll and the AOE (fully loaded) we had with us to a 25 degree roll.
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

"We believe there are enemy subs operating in the area."

- suggested by a Romanian friend.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:26 am

GofyTomcat1
Commander

RHN one:

"Shannon just pressed a button."

:mrgreen:
Post by Vince   » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:22 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

GofyTomcat1 wrote:RHN one:

"Shannon just pressed a button."

:mrgreen:

Also known as: "Oops."
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by zuluwiz   » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:29 pm

zuluwiz
Commander

Heard this one myself, from my Captain. "Don't force it, use a bigger hammer." (On the CG-12)
Post by saber964   » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:00 pm

saber964
Admiral

zuluwiz wrote:Heard this one myself, from my Captain. "Don't force it, use a bigger hammer." (On the CG-12)

Been there done that, got the T-shirt. We were trying to install the lower platform on a accommodation ladder.
Post by darrell   » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:04 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
zuluwiz wrote:Heard this one myself, from my Captain. "Don't force it, use a bigger hammer." (On the CG-12)

Been there done that, got the T-shirt. We were trying to install the lower platform on a accommodation ladder.

my great grandfather, who has been dead more than 50 years has been there, done that. :mrgreen:
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.

Return to Honorverse