Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

The 5 Most Dangerous Things You Will Hear in the Navy:

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The 5 Most Dangerous Things You Will Hear in the Navy:
Post by Maldorian   » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

The classic one:

"Ice ahead!"

Has someone say "Titanic"?

"Can someone go to the Radio and ask someone for the way?"
Post by Fireflair   » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Having served many more years than bear considering, and being subject to numerous casualties while at sea and in port, I can assure you that some things you sort of shrug at. At least after hearing them the forth or fifth time.

Fire in xyz item wasn't uncommon. It's troublesome, no doubt, especially onboard a submarine, but not something to go crazy over. You learn, through a lot of experience, to calmly analyze the problem, accept what it is and take action.

Though sometimes... Well, sometimes you just shake your head.

Upon a loss of depth control, the sub took a very steep downward angle, but was going in reverse. No danger of exceeding our depth limit, as we were headed for the surface. However, the bowl on the mixer wasn't designed for angles exceeding forty-five degrees. The mixer bowl broke free and impacted the face of the oven.

The first announcement was: Fire, fire in the galley. Fire from number one oven.

The second announcement was: The fire in the galley is out. The soup has put out the fire.

The second mixer bowl fell out of it's rack, and was holding 10 gallons of vegetable soup for supper, which fell all over the burning oven, dousing the fire.
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:55 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

That's about the best 'sea story' I've heard in many years!
Cheers
John

Fireflair wrote:Having served many more years than bear considering, and being subject to numerous casualties while at sea and in port, I can assure you that some things you sort of shrug at. At least after hearing them the forth or fifth time.

Fire in xyz item wasn't uncommon. It's troublesome, no doubt, especially onboard a submarine, but not something to go crazy over. You learn, through a lot of experience, to calmly analyze the problem, accept what it is and take action.

Though sometimes... Well, sometimes you just shake your head.

Upon a loss of depth control, the sub took a very steep downward angle, but was going in reverse. No danger of exceeding our depth limit, as we were headed for the surface. However, the bowl on the mixer wasn't designed for angles exceeding forty-five degrees. The mixer bowl broke free and impacted the face of the oven.

The first announcement was: Fire, fire in the galley. Fire from number one oven.

The second announcement was: The fire in the galley is out. The soup has put out the fire.

The second mixer bowl fell out of it's rack, and was holding 10 gallons of vegetable soup for supper, which fell all over the burning oven, dousing the fire.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

"Shitstorm, incoming!"
Post by zuluwiz   » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:37 pm

zuluwiz
Commander

And who would not have wanted to be on deck during a dangerous assault and hear the admiral cry: "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun May 01, 2016 8:03 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

How about the most dangerous thing you won't hear in an Honorverse ship? Thandi Palane aboard, and entering the bridge in full assault mode [see Crown of Slaves]. Because if you're in the crew, you're dead before you realize she's entered the room.

Oh, and don't try to tell her how to do mayhem either.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Sun May 01, 2016 2:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Here's one that also actually happened. And I'm sure it was rather unnerving to say the least...

British navy heading for Sierra Leone Ebola zone.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Fri May 06, 2016 12:27 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

Nimitz: "BLEEEK!!!"

This generally means one of three things:

1. "Honor, look out, someone is going to hurt you!"

2. "I don't like this person and I want to hurt them before they hurt you"

3. "I need attention because I am really upset and if you don't feed me celery I might want to hurt someone (never mentioned in-canon, but he is a cat so...)
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

1. Donald Trump is your Commander-In-Chief.
2. Donald Trump has the launch codes.
3. Donald Trump is phucking with the North Koreans and Kim Jong-un.
4. Kim Jong-un is as crazy as Donald Trump.
5. You are NOT dreaming. Repeat, this is NOT a drill!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:1. Donald Trump is your Commander-In-Chief.
2. Donald Trump has the launch codes.
3. Donald Trump is phucking with the North Koreans and Kim Jong-un.
4. Kim Jong-un is as crazy as Donald Trump.
5. You are NOT dreaming. Repeat, this is NOT a drill!

Torpedo 3 points off the starboard bow at 1 5 0 0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse