Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests

Honorverse - Snotty Row

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse - Snotty Row
Post by The E   » Tue May 17, 2016 7:48 am

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:At All Costs
"A good point." She nodded. "But that means the defense pods deployed around Sphinx are going to be coming into range of them, too, and the system reconnaissance platforms are going to give the defense pods very good accuracy."

I don't understand how the recon platforms can affect accuracy. These are not Apollo systems and they are not feeding telemetry to the missiles. The platforms are FTLing telemetry back to the platforms that then have to course correct the missiles but from platform to missiles is FTL free. No?

Even if the pods can't handle FTL comms on their own, placing a Hermes buoy near them is not hard to do.
Post by munroburton   » Tue May 17, 2016 8:28 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:I can't remember if my memory is accurate but I think the Apollo missile is larger than the other brood of missiles (nine I think). But I wonder if it would be somewhat trivial for the RMN to begin deploying two Apollo missiles per brood - as backup for any navies getting technologically "uppity." Is that doable if the need arises?

It seems RFC is going to have to reveal a chink in Apollo's armor if the future battles are going to be entertaining.

The simpler backup plan is to pair two pods worth of missiles. Apollo bird A runs the attack plans for the sixteen missiles, Apollo bird B sits there as the back up. Indeed, depending on how bad wedge interference is or whether non-FTL MDMs can relay commands to each other from the Apollo bird, it may be possible to run an enormous salvo with even fewer Apollo birds than they currently do.
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue May 17, 2016 9:41 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:I can't remember if my memory is accurate but I think the Apollo missile is larger than the other brood of missiles (nine I think). But I wonder if it would be somewhat trivial for the RMN to begin deploying two Apollo missiles per brood - as backup for any navies getting technologically "uppity." Is that doable if the need arises?

It seems RFC is going to have to reveal a chink in Apollo's armor if the future battles are going to be entertaining.

A standard Mk-23 pod holds ten missiles. An Apollo Control Missile displaces two of the missiles, leaving eight.

http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/art/P ... -465723504

http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/art/F ... -465723294

Return to Honorverse