Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 15 guests

Most favorite Honorverse tech

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Most favorite Honorverse tech
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. I simply love the MWW when he introduced Manticore's hellishly fiendish ECM. The Ghost Rider program is and will always be my cat's meow.

Apollo is a war winning piece of tech but barring that, IMO, with advanced Manty tactics and ship handling, Ghost Rider will still allow them to win lopsided engagements (battles) against the SLN even minus Apollo -- with casualties of course, but the survivors will be of Manticoran descent.

What is your most favorite Honorverse tech turned out by our loveably Horrible Hemphill or even Shannon Foraker?

Perhaps I've overlooked a cog or sprocket or two.

I wonder if the Andermani has a piece of tech exclusive only to their Navy? They never actually fought anyone beyond that one skirmish with the RMN. May be... there's a bit of tech under wraps.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Most favorite Honorverse tech
Post by Theemile   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:05 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Mine would be the impeller wedge - it twists everything we physicists know about gravity into a pretzel, but creates a believeable method of transportation that isn't based off throwing hot gasses out the back of the ship. Without it, there would be no Honorverse.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:23 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

I like Theemile's answer; the wedge.
But going for more directly military tech I'm going to give a nod to "the baffle". The magic ingredient at the heart of practical multi-drive missiles (and yes this falls under the much broader "ghost rider" umbrella cthia mentioned but I wanted to narrow down to a single tech)

Without pods layers, micro-fusion plants, improved stealth, or any of the other ghost rider toys, the baffle alone would allow a significant advantage to the side that had exclusive access to it.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I like Theemile's answer; the wedge.
But going for more directly military tech I'm going to give a nod to "the baffle". The magic ingredient at the heart of practical multi-drive missiles (and yes this falls under the much broader "ghost rider" umbrella cthia mentioned but I wanted to narrow down to a single tech)

Without pods layers, micro-fusion plants, improved stealth, or any of the other ghost rider toys, the baffle alone would allow a significant advantage to the side that had exclusive access to it.

I like Theemile's answer as well, especially the part about nasty hot gasses for propulsion.

I also like your answer. In fact, you sort of answered a question that I almost posed this thread as... the single most important piece of tech, barring Apollo that slices the RMN a cut above the rest. I always thought their ECM significantly sets them apart.

I even like the name, Ghost Rider - which will always remind me of Top Gun.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:02 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Being an architect (of sorts) by trade, I'm personally most fascinated by the idea of counter-grav in the same way Theemile likes the impeller wedge. It's almost entirely glossed over because most of the action and story takes place in space, but every so often you get a mention of stuff like hundred-story towers being considered 'small'. Honorverse civilians basically live in massive arcologies, at least on the developed planets, which does as much as any other single element in the setting to make it sci-fi for me.
Post by Relax   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Partially solidified Handwavium Bull, so we can all bicker about how many angels can dance on the tip of a pin endlessly without being 'Right' or 'Wrong'.

All of his other series you cannot do this.

:o :shock: :? :twisted: :mrgreen:
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by munroburton   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:51 pm

munroburton
Admiral

The opposable thumb, upon which the entire inverted-pyramid tech tree rests. ;)
Post by Senior Chief   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I even like the name, Ghost Rider - which will always remind me of Top Gun.

I think of Johnny Cash's "Ghost Riders in the Sky"... but as far as tech... has to be everthing that has to do with Electric Warfare (EW) which is all about ECM and ECCM... in my naval career I dealt with alot of EW that suckered the enemy into wasting valuable resources (time, money, equipment, and lives). A soft kill is just as viable as a hard kill.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My conscience also demands that I mention the sweet little tech given to Honor designed by Paul Tankersley for Nimitz that gave me a cause to smile - a treecat skinsuit.

The biggest hurdle, which has been hurdled, was explaining the plumbing to Nimitz.

Now that that hurdle has been cleared, has the suit been adapted for and explained to female cats? :geek:

Post by Relax   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Surely Honor got Sam one?
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse