Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 102 guests

Stories you wish were told?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Stories you wish were told?
Post by Tmerser   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Tmerser
Midshipman

I would like to see the store of how Alfred got his Osterman Medal.
Post by cthia   » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I wish RFC would declassify this to readers! It should have had member states tripping over each other to hyper out from under League control. It should serve to annul and destroy any binding legal arbitration.

Secret contingency plans
In cooperation with the OFS, Frontier Fleet had prepared secret contingency plans for Solarian League protectorates and Verge systems in case of widespread emergency. They were quite brutal, and included actions which showed no respect for law or the sovereignty of the targeted planets and systems.

◾ Case Buccaneer — a surprise piratical action against Verge star nations, specifically designed to destabilize them, permitting the OFS to take them over to stabilize matters

◾ Case Fabius — preemptive demolition actions against orbital facilities at protected systems, in cases in which local authorities denied economic concessions to commercial enterprises colluding with the OFS

The contingency plans above became known to the Star Empire of Manticore when the RMN's Tenth Fleet captured intact databases in the aftermath of the Second Battle of New Tuscany from squadron flagships of the SLN's Task Group 3021. (HH12)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:05 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:I wish RFC would declassify this to readers! It should have had member states tripping over each other to hyper out from under League control. It should serve to annul and destroy any binding legal arbitration.

Secret contingency plans
In cooperation with the OFS, Frontier Fleet had prepared secret contingency plans for Solarian League protectorates and Verge systems in case of widespread emergency. They were quite brutal, and included actions which showed no respect for law or the sovereignty of the targeted planets and systems.

◾ Case Buccaneer — a surprise piratical action against Verge star nations, specifically designed to destabilize them, permitting the OFS to take them over to stabilize matters

◾ Case Fabius — preemptive demolition actions against orbital facilities at protected systems, in cases in which local authorities denied economic concessions to commercial enterprises colluding with the OFS

The contingency plans above became known to the Star Empire of Manticore when the RMN's Tenth Fleet captured intact databases in the aftermath of the Second Battle of New Tuscany from squadron flagships of the SLN's Task Group 3021. (HH12)

I wish the Manticoran government would pass the contents of those databases to all the newsies in the HV, that would really stir up an ants nest.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by munroburton   » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:20 am

munroburton
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:I wish the Manticoran government would pass the contents of those databases to all the newsies in the HV, that would really stir up an ants nest.

They might, though I suspect the MAlign will do it first and blame the GA/SEM, just to throw sand into any possible negotiations with the League at this point or otherwise to discredit Frontier Fleet. Heck, a jealous Battle Fleet might leak the details if Frontier Fleet pulls off the impossible and scores victories against the GA.

Wouldn't be surprised if th MA and GA did this simultaneously. That would be amusing, if certain systems receieved two "official" notifications from the GA regarding those secret contingency plans.
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:57 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

we badly need a new story told from a treecat POV

the last one was set inbetween books 6&7 and there have been huge changes since then, the immigration of cats to other worlds, the learning of sing language and true 2 way communication established. and nowhere in any of this near decade have we any feel for how the cats see it.

it would also be good to catch up with Nimitz and Sam's kittens.

given how they were named out of greek legend surely they are expected to do great things.

and much later down the line I would not be at all surprised if one of them adopts Roul given the cat's penchant for those descended from Death Fang's Bane.
Post by Rincewind   » Fri May 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:How many Nimitz class carriers do you think should be stationed off the coast of Somalia to keep the seas free of the threat of 4 guys with AKs in a 20 foot speed boat?

None, but what about an America class Assault ship? Or, if you are wanting to go for something a smaller navy might operate, how about a Mistral class LPD equipped with attack helicopters? Even smaller navies are getting in on the act with aviation capable ships. They may not be big flat tops but they would still be functional. I believe a Honorverse variant of this is what was being proposed.
Post by kzt   » Fri May 13, 2016 7:23 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:None, but what about an America class Assault ship? Or, if you are wanting to go for something a smaller navy might operate, how about a Mistral class LPD equipped with attack helicopters? Even smaller navies are getting in on the act with aviation capable ships. They may not be big flat tops but they would still be functional. I believe a Honorverse variant of this is what was being proposed.

So , sutting the chase, you are in favor of putting 25% of the US navy off of Somalia to deal with the threat of 4 guys in 20 foot speed boat?

Oddly enough, the US Navy's deployment plans don't include a spare 25% free to suppress the deadly threat of 4 guys with AKs in a 20 foot speed boat, so are you planning on surrendering the Pacific to China or the Persian Gulf to Iran in exchange for suppressing the threat of 4 guys with AKs in a 20 foot speedboat?

The point is none of this is cost-free. There are always a lot more missions you would like to accomplish than you have hulls to assign. So assigning hulls to low value missions means that missions of national importance, the missions that people fund the navy to accomplish, don't get done. Or you get to spend a whole lot more money to build the navy that can do both at the same time.
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri May 13, 2016 10:50 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I want Honor's crew from Hawkwing to be returned to service, since a HUGE contingent of the RMN got whacked at the BofM. I'm thinking that the "sailing master" probably made captain of his own merchie and would be in a good position to captain a light cruiser or even sag-C pursuing the MAlign or working with the RTN.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Maldorian   » Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 pm

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

I want to know more about Bolthole!

What about a Spystory placed there? Remember the solarian Agent from the shortstories? I say: Crippler and the fake whormhole.

Has Bolthole a habitable Planet? Is there a chance, that Treecats settle down there?

What about a treecat Genius? A treecat intrested in science, who understand human tecnology and has some ideas.....

I want to see the first reaction when the new scientist at Bolthole will be intodruced, "a six leged piece of flur".
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping, hopefully keeping the bits lined up--
cthia wrote:I wish RFC would declassify this to readers! It should have had member states tripping over each other to hyper out from under League control. It should serve to annul and destroy any binding legal arbitration.

Secret contingency plans

George J. Smith wrote:I wish the Manticoran government would pass the contents of those databases to all the newsies in the HV, that would really stir up an ants nest.

Actually, why bother to release it to all the newsies, takes a long time and then you have to prove the case. How about releasing it in every system under OFS control? any system with a Frontier Fleet presence in the Protectorates? Oh, and do it from the command deck of a CLAC accompanied by a half dozen Rolands, a couple Sag C's, an ammo ship, a Manticoran plenipotentiary, and a freighter or two full of system defense pods. Feller by the name of Terekhov might be good for that.

Oh wait. That's the plotline re: Mobius. Plus more ships and permission to play OFS/FF mosquito obliterator at large.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse