Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Stories you wish were told?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Sonja and Shannon Girl Talk ...
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:35 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Sonja and Shannon getting together one on one for girl talk then comparing engineering notes about everything, then finding out that she has 'that' and she has 'that' and if put together then they can have ... THAT! Hee hee hee.

This might have already been discussed. :)
Re: Stories you wish were told?
Post by Klaatu   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:54 am

Klaatu
Midshipman

For those fretting about Ginger, a brief out of order snippet from after the Yawata Strike:

She thought about ignoring it — Captain Mathis had been right; she had a lot of reading to catch up on, she was due to go aboard [i]Charles Ward in less than an hour, and her baggage hadn’t caught up with her — but for all she knew sanity had broken out at the Admiralty and one of Mathis’ superiors was screening her to tell her it had all been a mistake.

Part of her hoped that was exactly what it was.

The signal pinged again and she hit the acceptance key, opening a window in the corner of her display. Then she twitched upright in her shuttle seat.

“Ms. Terekhov!”

“I’ve told you before, Ginger. Ms. Terekhov is Aivars’ mother. My name is Sinead.”

“Well —” Ginger began, then stopped, closed her mouth, and smiled. “Sorry. I’ll try to remember, but it’s hard. I still think of you as ‘the Skipper’s wife,’ I’m afraid.”[/quote][/i]
[/i]

Dear RFC,

Firstly, thanks for [finally!] relieving our frustration at wanting to know what the hell happened when Mike got to Mesa. After finishing the first half [via Baen Bundle] I was, I admit, especially after reading so many grumpy reviews after the eARC came out, pretty pissed off that the storyline hardly seemed to have advanced at all!

But, being a faithful fan, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, took a deep breath, bought the eARC as well, and (holding my nose) waded into the second half. And was pleasantly surprised. Not so much by how far the story progressed so much, as how many loose ends were tied up and gaps filled in.

I think the problem for the grumpy ones (including, initially, me) was that CoG, SoF and ART were all converging back to a single story line and that, if the 'rumours' of only TWO more books to go to cover both war with the League AND the demise(?) of the MA, then, by golly, there'll have to be a LOT of rollicking, Hornblower-ish action. And then everything seemed to be going with the rapidity of treacle!

But then, by the end, that treacle had gotten into a lot of cracks and filled in a lot of gaps. I'm sure you can appreciate why some people got a bit grumpy?

Secondly, RFC, you were almost SO going to die, with that low trick you pulled with Sinead in the shuttle approaching HMSS Hephaestus. I started to get one of those feelings of approaching doom ... thought "Oh no you don't, RFC - if you kill off Sinead I'm never going to speak to again, EVER! After all Aivars has been through, to do that!? I don't CARE if you're the goddamned author!" :shock:

Then you redeemed yourself - just in the nick of time! :D

And thanks for finally getting Helen and Paulo together - it's about damned time! :P

And finally, thanks for a couple of decades of quality reading pleasure.

Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Klaatu wrote:
For those fretting about Ginger, a brief out of order snippet from after the Yawata Strike:

She thought about ignoring it — Captain Mathis had been right; she had a lot of reading to catch up on, she was due to go aboard [i]Charles Ward in less than an hour, and her baggage hadn’t caught up with her — but for all she knew sanity had broken out at the Admiralty and one of Mathis’ superiors was screening her to tell her it had all been a mistake.

Part of her hoped that was exactly what it was.

The signal pinged again and she hit the acceptance key, opening a window in the corner of her display. Then she twitched upright in her shuttle seat.

“Ms. Terekhov!”

“I’ve told you before, Ginger. Ms. Terekhov is Aivars’ mother. My name is Sinead.”

“Well —” Ginger began, then stopped, closed her mouth, and smiled. “Sorry. I’ll try to remember, but it’s hard. I still think of you as ‘the Skipper’s wife,’ I’m afraid.”
[/i]
[/i]

Dear RFC,

Firstly, thanks for [finally!] relieving our frustration at wanting to know what the hell happened when Mike got to Mesa. After finishing the first half [via Baen Bundle] I was, I admit, especially after reading so many grumpy reviews after the eARC came out, pretty pissed off that the storyline hardly seemed to have advanced at all!

But, being a faithful fan, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, took a deep breath, bought the eARC as well, and (holding my nose) waded into the second half. And was pleasantly surprised. Not so much by how far the story progressed so much, as how many loose ends were tied up and gaps filled in.

I think the problem for the grumpy ones (including, initially, me) was that CoG, SoF and ART were all converging back to a single story line and that, if the 'rumours' of only TWO more books to go to cover both war with the League AND the demise(?) of the MA, then, by golly, there'll have to be a LOT of rollicking, Hornblower-ish action. And then everything seemed to be going with the rapidity of treacle!

But then, by the end, that treacle had gotten into a lot of cracks and filled in a lot of gaps. I'm sure you can appreciate why some people got a bit grumpy?

Secondly, RFC, you were almost SO going to die, with that low trick you pulled with Sinead in the shuttle approaching HMSS Hephaestus. I started to get one of those feelings of approaching doom ... thought "Oh no you don't, RFC - if you kill off Sinead I'm never going to speak to again, EVER! After all Aivars has been through, to do that!? I don't CARE if you're the goddamned author!" :shock:

Then you redeemed yourself - just in the nick of time! :D

And thanks for finally getting Helen and Paulo together - it's about damned time! :P

And finally, thanks for a couple of decades of quality reading pleasure.

____________________________________________________________[/quote]
:lol: Quite an amusing post. I'll be hard pressed not to carry the thought into my own maiden voyage when the hardback finally lands with a thud -- not a dud.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Sonja and Shannon Girl Talk ...
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Sonja and Shannon getting together one on one for girl talk then comparing engineering notes about everything, then finding out that she has 'that' and she has 'that' and if put together then they can have ... THAT! Hee hee hee.

This might have already been discussed. :)

It most certainly has. I can speak for myself personally. Thing is, it seems to be so intuitive that it should happen exactly like "we've" said; the "two heads are better than one," adage. It is so obvious that RFC should consider including it.

Never grows old, this thought. Gives me goosebumps and chokes me all up. Thanks again for the goosies.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Someone brought it to my attention that there is a distinct possibility that at least one generational ship is yet to touch down. Mindboggling!

Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:I'd like to see Shannon Foraker finally get away from Bolthole and get a combat command. And if that is not possible, then getting to see a simulator engagement between her and Honor would be a nice consolation prize...

Ain't that the truth. We all know that Shannon Foraker just has to be hiding some serious tactical acumen.

If not her own command, I always imagine some scene where she ends up as Honor's tac witch, and the banter between the two of 'em...

"I always wished you were my tac witch."

"Or at least not theirs?"

"Touche!"

"We can always trade places you know. I hear you were quite the witch yourself."

Oh the possibilities.

Post by saber964   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:19 pm

saber964
Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:I know there was already a lot of tear jerker scenes in the beginning of AoV with Honor's return from the dead. But I kind of wish we had gotten one more in the form of the reunion of Jesus Ramirez and Tomas Ramirez.

That meeting would define the phrase, Bone crushing back slapping bear hug.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:I know there was already a lot of tear jerker scenes in the beginning of AoV with Honor's return from the dead. But I kind of wish we had gotten one more in the form of the reunion of Jesus Ramirez and Tomas Ramirez.

Saber, that is absolutely hilarious.

OTOH, if you're an opportunist...

"Wait a sec! Let me just slide this nice chunk of coal in-between 'em. We can really test the myth of coal to diamonds."

Post by saber964   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:33 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote: quote="saber964"]

"Wait a sec! Let me just slide this nice chunk of coal in-between 'em. We can really test the myth of coal to diamonds."[/quote]

I wouldn't do that. If someone placed fissionable materials between them you might have a really big bang.
Post by Vince   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:50 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

saber964 wrote:
cthia wrote: quote="saber964"] quote="Henry Brown"]I know there was already a lot of tear jerker scenes in the beginning of AoV with Honor's return from the dead. But I kind of wish we had gotten one more in the form of the reunion of Jesus Ramirez and Tomas Ramirez.

"Wait a sec! Let me just slide this nice chunk of coal in-between 'em. We can really test the myth of coal to diamonds."[/quote]

I wouldn't do that. If someone placed fissionable materials between them you might have a really big bang.[/quote]

Fissionable materials being compressed wouldn't be a problem.

Any element that can be fused into heavier elements though...

I really hope that they can save any tears of joy until the hug is over.

3.34 sextillion hydrogen atoms = 835 quintillion helium atoms plus a whole lot of energy (ignoring the oxygen and any other minerals in a teardrop). :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.

Return to Honorverse