Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 38 guests

Interactive Honorverse Map

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Interactive Honorverse Map
Post by Valinor   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:36 am

Valinor
Midshipman

Joat42 wrote:Seems that I'm not alone in the quest for an interactive map.

Valinor, look here for my project. I've got all the stars locations neatly recorded in an Excel document if you want them. I know how tedious it is to manually register all the locations.

Wow, I can't velieve I didn't see that. For my part i wrote a script that "scanned" the stars in SWM map automatically, might have incorporated OCR but was not lazy enought... the best programers are the lazy ones... Nice work, i will take a look and see if I can "import" your data.

JohnRoth wrote:I'd avoid trying to do "factions" whatever they are. They probably belong to some game or other, but they don't correspond to anything I know of in the Honorverse.

As I mentioned above, I've been thinking of doing a series of maps to correspond to what we know of the Honorverse after each story. I was thinking of two series: a "p" series that corresponds to the known map after each book and anthology in publication order, as well as a "t" series that takes it after each story in timeline order. I didn't get very far because of the data entry; besides which I don't have the Ad Astra games maps, which appear to be canon. What you're doing with the JSON file would help if my project ever gets off the back burner. BTW - I was planning on doing them in SVG, which would allow decent scaling without having to have javascript or suchlike.

Well, I call them factions but all they really are is the equivalent of the diferent colors on the map. They also serve to set the banner and a bit of "lore". Might as well have called them "Star nations" or something else.

I was thinking on doing the same "Historical" maps down the line, as it is I want to put all the data I can in the JSON file and not have it harcodded in the viewer.
Post by Valinor   » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:33 am

Valinor
Midshipman

The data introduction is complete and took les than anticipated.

You can download the last version from here.

And if you don't want to download you can see what this is about on some images. (click to enlarge)

ImageImage

What I am working on:
- Star locator : infraestructure done, needs UI.
- Integration with wiki : can't reference directly, pesky Same-origin policy complicates things...
- Puting Linx terminus in its own star.
- Looking for typos...

Near future:
- Incomplete juctions, there are more than the ones on the maps avaible, even ones from stars that do appear on the map.
- Split silesia : need info but seems like it is there.
- Calculate distance between stars, even if only aprox.
- Diferent maps, historical etc...
- Puting all on a web page... and refactor the JSON files to be true json wich they currently are not, same origin policy strikes again for local execution.
Post by RedBaron   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm

RedBaron

19chickens wrote:Wow! This looks amazing, if a bit barren. I'd suggest looking at this map for the names of many unnamed stars.

That map doesn't list Mesa or Beowolf. :(
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

RedBaron wrote:
That map doesn't list Mesa or Beowolf. :(

Yes it does.

Beowulf is listed as Sigma Draconis -- the star Beowulf orbits.

Mesa is bottom left-center -- at about 32 minutes on a clock face near the edge of the map.

What isn't shown is Mesa's wormhole terminus or the Visgoth WHJ.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Another "WOW" from me! At both you and SWM for his orginal work. Why haven't I seen this? This should be included somewhere on this forum as a Sticky. With this the Honorverse is complete — Batteries Included!

Kudos! Seriously, why haven't I seen this? Why isn't it a Sticky?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:52 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Beowulf is listed as Sigma Draconis -- the star Beowulf orbits.
I think RFC has mentioned (though it hasn't shown up in the text) that he's considering retconing this because the distance from real-Sol to real-Sigma Draconis is not the 40 light years of Honorverse-Sol to Beowulf.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:43 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

[quote="Valinor"]
ID:0 Name:Neutral
ID:1 Name:Solarian League - Core
ID:2 Name:Solarian League - Verge [quote]

For some consistency (maybe you typoed it?)

ID:1 SL Core
ID:2 SL Shell
ID:3 SL Verge.

Since mesa is described as physically within the SL shell worlds while not A member of the SL.

Factions get crazy out of hand. Maya-Erewhon-Congo/Torch would, to me be a faction, as would the Renaissance factor when iot deigns to come out. The collections of stars comprising Haven and The Anderman Empire would not be factions, But SEM, Haven and Grayson would be a more formal faction aka Alliance
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:48 am

Joat42
Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:
Valinor wrote:ID:0 Name:Neutral
ID:1 Name:Solarian League - Core
ID:2 Name:Solarian League - Verge

Since mesa is described as physically within the SL shell worlds while not A member of the SL.

Factions get crazy out of hand. Maya-Erewhon-Congo/Torch would, to me be a faction, as would the Renaissance factor when iot deigns to come out. The collections of stars comprising Haven and The Anderman Empire would not be factions, But SEM, Haven and Grayson would be a more formal faction aka Alliance

I've looked over all the information regarding the position of Mesa on the galactic map, it's not entirely clearcut exactly where it is located.

By using textev distances I've managed to narrow it down to the following position (not necessarily correct), Mesa is circled (click image for bigger size):

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

WeirdlyWired wrote:
Valinor wrote:

Isn't Meyers a protectorate? At least until Mike came calling. Do OFS Sectors get a color? What of these systems that have OSF "Advisors"?

Return to Honorverse