Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests

Future $Economic Crash$ In The Honorverse? . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Future $Economic Crash$ In The Honorverse? . . .
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:
It'd be interesting to know whether gold would retain its value in an Honorverse.

I doubt it. There might not be a high concentration of gold in a system's asteroids; but the mining technologies are so efficient that it should still be quite plentiful. And it's really only gold's scarcity that makes it expensive.

It has some valuable properties for electronics (but possibly not so much by the time you're dealing with superconductors and molycircs. Otoh there is probably still expensive gold jewelry; but expensive for the workmanship and aesthetic qualities, not the inherent cost of the material.

My take on it as well. With so much gold inevitably found in mining, the Solarian markets have undoubtedly been flooded and gold is probably cheaper than peanuts. Which begs to answer the question of what backs the Solarian credit? What's in Fort Knox now? Or is it Fort Nots. :D

The problem with gold in electronics now is that it's nearing $1500 an ounce. Companies are looking into designer materials instead. A flooded gold market in an Honorverse would be a boon to the electronics industry.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Zakharra   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

There is a massive economic collapse coming fairly soon in the Honorverse; the collapse of the Solarian League. Once that crumbles, the currency -every- member planet of the League uses will be worth $0. That means every one of those worlds will be completely broke and scrambling for something to replace the worthless Solarian dollar. I'm not sure how the GA is going to offer economic incentives to member/former member worlds of the SL unless they are going to guarantee the worth of the SL currency for a time for those worlds.
Post by kzt   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:28 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Iirc, all the gold in the world (coins, jewelry, etc) would not fill an Olympic swimming pool. So adding a few thousand tons per system to this isn't going to make it cheap.
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:Iirc, all the gold in the world (coins, jewelry, etc) would not fill an Olympic swimming pool.

An underestimate, though not as much as I guessed.
Many online sources give essentially the same value for the total stocks of above-ground gold; it was about 157,000 metric tons by 2007. If the density of gold is 19.3 grams per milliliter, or 0.0193 tons per liter, then ... we get about 8.2 million liters of gold. If an Olympic-sized swimming pool has a volume of 2.5 million liters, then we divide and get our answer.
So we would need 3.27 swimming pools to hold the entire global supply of gold, which some argue is the entire amount of gold mined since before the Egyptians began mining gold before 2000 BC.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2010/11/19/how-many-olympic-sized-swimming-pools-can-we-fill-with-billionaire-gold/
Estimates range from 155,244 tonnes, marginally less than the GFMS figure, to about 16 times that amount - 2.5 million tonnes.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21969100
Of course, if you just pile up coins and jewelry, without melting them down, they won't pack quite as tightly.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I doubt it. There might not be a high concentration of gold in a system's asteroids; but the mining technologies are so efficient that it should still be quite plentiful. And it's really only gold's scarcity that makes it expensive.

It has some valuable properties for electronics (but possibly not so much by the time you're dealing with superconductors and molycircs. Otoh there is probably still expensive gold jewelry; but expensive for the workmanship and aesthetic qualities, not the inherent cost of the material.

My take on it as well. With so much gold inevitably found in mining, the Solarian markets have undoubtedly been flooded and gold is probably cheaper than peanuts. Which begs to answer the question of what backs the Solarian credit? What's in Fort Knox now? Or is it Fort Nots. :D

The problem with gold in electronics now is that it's nearing $1500 an ounce. Companies are looking into designer materials instead. A flooded gold market in an Honorverse would be a boon to the electronics industry.

Presumably the same thing that backs every modern currency; the GDP of the issuing government and the belief that they'll stand behind their money (and the implicit belief that they won't make surprise catastrophic changes to their monetary policy that would destroy the currency's value before holdings of it could be liquidated)

Gold or other precious metals haven't backed currency in decades, and it was something of a historical anomaly that new gold deposits were found at roughly the same rate the work economy grew (and economies up until the industrial revolution grew slowly) -- making it (for a time) a fairly workable basis to back currency. It certainly kept countries from making inflationary fiat currency unlinked to their economic strength.

But if the amount of new gold discovered ever got badly out of balance with the growth of economies and the gold standard could have strangled economic growth. (Say a few decades without finding any new gold mines, as the old mines play out). And arguably Spain killed their economy in the colonial times because of the vast influx of gold and silver (mainly from South America) which grew their money supply without any corresponding growth of their manufacturing or farming output..

Anyway, enough random digression into the gold standard.
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

kzt wrote: So adding a few thousand tons per system to this isn't going to make it cheap.
But, in the Honorverse, they're mining asteroids down to the atomic level. Even if the fraction of gold is only at the ppm level, that's thousands of tonnes per cubic kilometer. After a couple of thousand years....
----
Imagined conversation:
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

John Ringo's "Live free or Die" gives an excellent idea of just how much "rare" metals etc can be found in some asteroids/comets.

100% accurate? doubtful but as a rough indication it works as well as anything else
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:My take on it as well. With so much gold inevitably found in mining, the Solarian markets have undoubtedly been flooded and gold is probably cheaper than peanuts. Which begs to answer the question of what backs the Solarian credit? What's in Fort Knox now? Or is it Fort Nots. :D

Presumably the same thing that backs every modern currency; the GDP of the issuing government and the belief that they'll stand behind their money (and the implicit belief that they won't make surprise catastrophic changes to their monetary policy that would destroy the currency's value before holdings of it could be liquidated)
Do you know the 1632-verse explanation for the money supply?
Fletcher Wendell came to his wife's rescue, sort of. "Back before the Ring of Fire, there was a bank in Washington that had a bunch of fairies with magic wands. They made new money when they were happy, and made it disappear when they were sad. Apparently, when the Ring of Fire happened, one of those fairies was in town, and it now resides in the Grantville bank."
"Daaad!" Judy the Younger complained, while her older sister Sarah smirked.
"I take it," said Daaad, "that you don't believe in Federal Reserve Fairies? That's just the problem, don't you see? Neither do the down-timers, at least not yet. Part of my new job with the finance subcommittee is to keep the Federal Reserve Fairies happy. Another part is to convince the Germans and all the other down-timers that they are real, because they perform a very important function and it only works really well if most people believe in them."
"Ah, but the down-timers don't have any money," Fletcher put in with a grin. "At least, not American money. So right now, everyone is trying to figure out how much of our money their money is worth, and vici verci. Which is where the Federal Reserve Fair—" Fletcher paused, casting an overdone look of meek submission at his wife. "Ah, the bank comes in."
"Oh, go ahead Fletcher," Judy the Elder put in, with an equally overdone, long-suffering sigh. "You won't be satisfied till you've run those poor fairies into the ground."
"Not at all. I'm very fond of the Federal Reserve Fairies. They do the kind of magic we need done." He smiled cheerfully at his daughters. "The thing about the Fed Fairies is they hate it when prices go up too fast. It makes them very sad, and they wave their magic wands, and make the bank have less money. Then the bank charges more interest when it loans out what money it does have. What makes the Fed Fairies really happy, is when prices stay the same, or go down. When that happens, they can't help themselves, they just have to wave their magic wands to make more money. As a matter of fact, they look into their crystal balls to see what the prices will be like months or even years in the future, and wave their magic wands in response to what they see. At least they did before the Ring of Fire. I think the crystal ball must have gotten bumped or something cuz the predictions we're hearing at the subcommittee meetings are bouncing all over the place. So one of the things we're working on is trying to determine the 'real' value of all the goods and services within the Ring of Fire, measured in up-time money, so we can help the Fed Fairies figure out which way to wave their wands."
His face grew comically lugubrious. "Now, when people don't believe in the Fed Fairies, they have to come up with some other explanation for where the money comes from. Like, 'The Government.' The problem is, governments always need money, and if they can make it themselves, well, people are afraid they will. And that they will keep on making more of it until it takes thousands of dollars to buy a ham sandwich. So, an important part of my new job is to convince the down-timers that Mike Stearns can't just make more money whenever he wants to. That, instead of the government making the decisions, the Fed Fairies will decide how much American money there is, so they can trust American money to hold its value."
http://www.grantvillegazette.com.pressp ... ing_circle
----
Imagined conversation:
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Oh no! Not THAT argument again! Are we really going to base the rarity of Earth's "rare" metals on the galaxy at large? Oh come on! Just because Earth wasn't in the right galactic lane to receive more of the "rare" metals when the universe was allocating metals doesn't mean Earth is a representative sample.

Look at Grayson. Metals are not evenly distributed. There could be gold planets out there that make Earth's gold rush look like... a few prizes in a Cracker Jack box.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Back to bartering....not really, but perhaps trading in commodities using other commodities.

What do you have to trade for food products you can't grow?

Exchange rates for goods and services can end up getting both fairly simple and complex at the same time. What can you trade for a hot meal? What can you trade for a basic weapon(not a fancy, decroative one that you can still use)? How much for a gallon of gasoline- in corn, peas, a given weight of dried meat (squirrel, beef, pork, chicken, fish- each would be different).

What does the local government accept to pay your taxes?

Of course, things get all out of wack when there are major problems with economies on a national or planetwide basis. Fairly quickly, there will come a "standardization" of what people will accept in exchange for goods and services.

I have the idea that the Solaria Credit is now (and for centuries) has been only backed by the "full faith and credit" of the Solarian League Government. One could speculate that the present equivelent in the League of major banking and trade houses (kind of like the old Bank of England, Rothchilds, and the East Inda Company (either Dutch or English) would have at least some handle on what various generic and specific commodities are worth relative to each other (net of costs of transportation on interstellar basis) in other than famine/shortage condition and could take steps to gather reserves of those products to support individual institutions monitary issues.

The Bank of New Madrid may end up issuing Bank Notes (in perhaps BNM Pesos) which could be used in trade, both Electronicaly and in "paper" currency.
Manticore is going to continue to use Manticorian Dollars, at least within the Empire but people will have to keep up with the fluctuations both of the MD and other currencies.

Other systems or companies may quote prices in either local currency or commodity equivalents in order to have sell what they are offer. In the words of some banker or political (NOT the same thing) "It Depends"

Return to Honorverse