Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests

Have we seen the end of Honor books.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Have we seen the end of Honor books.
Post by 90quattrocoupe   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:44 pm

90quattrocoupe
Midshipman

This is just my opinion, but I don't think we are going to see another Honor book. I don't think we are going to see a final end to the Honor Universe.

With all respect, David Weber is only 3 years younger than I am. I have been retired for 4.

We have a new War God book out this month and with a new character, I believe. In Oct. 2015, we have a new Manticore Ascendent book, following the character Mr. Long. Just after this, we have the new Safehold book. In March 2016 we have a new Multiverse book coming out.

You can only write so much in a given time period and the Honorverse seems to have taken a back seat over the last few years.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: Have we seen the end of Honor books.
Post by kenl511   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:01 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

90quattrocoupe wrote:This is just my opinion, but I don't think we are going to see another Honor book. I don't think we are going to see a final end to the Honor Universe.

With all respect, David Weber is only 3 years younger than I am. I have been retired for 4.

We have a new War God book out this month and with a new character, I believe. In Oct. 2015, we have a new Manticore Ascendent book, following the character Mr. Long. Just after this, we have the new Safehold book. In March 2016 we have a new Multiverse book coming out.

You can only write so much in a given time period and the Honorverse seems to have taken a back seat over the last few years.

Just my 2 cents.

First welcome to the forum. First virtual beverage is on the house. Grab a Tillman's and join in the Bull Session!

Second, David has promised two more with several more in a later time frame. I intend to hold him to them...!
Post by kzt   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:10 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

kenl511 wrote:Second, David has promised two more with several more in a later time frame. I intend to hold him to them...!

I believe one of his 13? y/o daughters agreed to keep writing it needed. I have no idea if this was anything other then a joke.
Post by 90quattrocoupe   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 pm

90quattrocoupe
Midshipman

I read this forum a lot, I just don't post. I am more of a reader and less of a participant.

I started reading Honor Harrington, over 20 years ago. I am now 66 and would like to finish the series before I pass.

At the rate Safehold is going, I won't be here for the end of it.

Greg W.

Oh, by the way, Tillman is pretty good stuff.
Post by Rnewman   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Rnewman
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

As I recall, in one of his postings not too long ago, he who loves celery said he's actually started writing the next Honorverse novel. Totally from memory, but I think he said he was aiming for 2Q16 for the publication date or something like that, so far enough out to be totally subject to change.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:35 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I saw the MWW a couple of months ago in Chattanooga (Libertycon), and he looked quite well and fully capable of writing for another 10 years or more.

Life is never certain, but he has promised at least two more Honor books that (sez DW) "will conclude the Honor Harrington saga and will fully satisfy the readers with the conclusion."

So no, I don't think we've seen the end of the Honorverse. In fact, based on how he said the above, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw other books set in the Honorverse but 80-90 years in the future, as the 'young folks' in the books take center stage.

That, however, may begin to take into consideration DW's age. We shall see.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:36 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

To reiterate what renewman said; there was a note on the forum a couple of months ago where he'd said (at a con) that he'd started on the sequel to Shadow of Freedom. In counterpoint, he's always shown up on the forum when he's working on an Honorverse novel, but he hasn't this time. Or maybe he's just managing his time better. :D

He's also said that there will be two more Honorverse novels in this sequence, and that there MAY be a follow-on series 20 to 30 years later. It looks like he's thinking of the original plot line, before Eric Flint joined the series. Or he might have some other idea in mind.
Post by SWM   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:21 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:In counterpoint, he's always shown up on the forum when he's working on an Honorverse novel, but he hasn't this time.

I'm not sure where you get that idea. You've only been on the forums since 2011, and David has written only one Honorverse book since then.

David often disappears from the forums when he starts a book. He often (but not always) shows up again when the writing is well along. There have been times when he disappeared from the forums for months (or years, if you count Baen's Bar).
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

David will occasionally stick his head in during breaks when he's writing. Mostly I think he shows up and interacts after he has finished a book and is kind of relaxing. When he has the time and we haven't annoyed him too much recently.

He's got a LOT of books on contract. Which means they have already paid him and he's already spent the money, so his time available for interacting with fans has necessarily decreased. (Even when we haven't recently annoyed him a lot.)
Post by Erls   » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:49 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

90quattrocoupe wrote:We have a new War God book out this month and with a new character, I believe. In Oct. 2015, we have a new Manticore Ascendent book, following the character Mr. Long. Just after this, we have the new Safehold book. In March 2016 we have a new Multiverse book coming out.

The Manticore Ascendent book is basically done from a writer's perspective. Its in advanced editing and I (along with others) have already read the E-ARC from Baen's. It is available for purchase if you so desire.

Just mentioning this to emphasize that for this book (and probably for the 3rd one in the series) that RFC isn't the main author and Timothy Zahn is, so the amount of time that RFC has to spend is likely far less than on the books he is the principal author for.

Return to Honorverse