Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests

Honorverse tech

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse tech
Post by mathewritchie   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 am

mathewritchie
Ensign

I was listening to older Harrington novels and noticed that some of the tech seemed old fasioned.I wondered how often realworld(tm)tech has overtaken Mr Weber`s imagination in the almost quarter century sense the first book?
Re: Honorverse tech
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:49 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Yes, there are some. The translation of the tree cats would be trivially simple, once you had someone who could explain it.

I've heard that the model David used for missiles was the game Harpoon, which is why they are so stupid. Because 1960s missiles were just not very bright. In reality you could fit a virtually infinite amount of computing power in something the size of a Honorverse missile.

The excuse of hundreds of thousands of tons of computers to run KH2 is completely absurd. Given that the books show the bridge crew actually processing the sensor feeds directly what exactly are these hundreds of analysts supposed to be doing, and how are the doing it given the ranges, timescale and velocity involved?

Despite this, David has managed to maintain consistency without major errors over a lot of books, which is largely due to his understanding the tech concepts he has behind of things work. He occasionally explains that to us, but the fact that there is a there there is important to the story. The fact that some of us think some idea is silly is totally irrelevant, it makes sense to David and that makes the story work.

Return to Honorverse