Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 149 guests

Total $Tax Rates$ In The Honorverse? ...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Total $Tax Rates$ In The Honorverse? ...
Post by HB of CJ   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:19 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Death and taxes. Any notions or ideas what the total tax rates are in the various domains, unions, realms and planets? From the most to the least. All possible taxes all added up. In percentages. Reasoning why? After all, there is a war going on.
Re: Total $Tax Rates$ In The Honorverse? ...
Post by Joat42   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Can't remember any figures, but I know everyone was almost up in arms over the taxes in SKM. That kind of quieted down after the Yawata Strike though.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by SWM   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:16 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

I don't see how we could even post wild guesses. We have absolutely no textev on which to base anything.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:21 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

David doesn't seem to care about economics other than superficially (how they directly impact the story he is telling) and generally appears to have some interesting ideas about how economies work based on the details of the stations destruction and effects. So I doubt he has even thought about this much.
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:34 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I also was thinking about the same way regarding no clear understanding or background on economics in the Honerverse.

Before the Grand Alliance when Manticore was just a single star outfit, taxes MUST have been very high to support the build up.
Last edited by HB of CJ on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:41 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:I
Beofre the Grand Alliance when Manticore was just a single star outfit, taxes MUST have been very high to support the build up.

I think the argument was they were so rich they could do it without high taxes. In my opinion you just don't get the feeling of a nation at war. Certainly not to the level that the U.S. was in WW2, much less the 3rd Reich , USSR or IJ.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:02 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Iirc, and I could be way off, junction fees, and related trade imposts etc, was the largest income for Manticore which kept personal tax lowish.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Hornblower   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:41 am

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Annachie wrote:Iirc, and I could be way off, junction fees, and related trade imposts etc, was the largest income for Manticore which kept personal tax lowish.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The manticoran constitution only allows a flat income tax (probably a fairly low percentage). During the war an escalating income tax was introduced (possible because of the war). This was one of the main reasons for the High Ridge government not to make peace with Haven as the tax would revert to the flat tax meaning no money for kick backs and liberal social programs. The other reason that the peace would force general elections.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
HB of CJ wrote:I
Beofre the Grand Alliance when Manticore was just a single star outfit, taxes MUST have been very high to support the build up.

I think the argument was they were so rich they could do it without high taxes. In my opinion you just don't get the feeling of a nation at war. Certainly not to the level that the U.S. was in WW2, much less the 3rd Reich , USSR or IJ.

I would tend to agree with this. Consider how long Manticore subsisted off of the lucrative junction fees in a time of peace. They had so long to just stack paper.

I'd like to know just how many years Manticore enjoyed in a state of peace before war began.

I also often wonder what was the state of the Queen's purse both prior to war and after -- and the King's purse prior and after Elizabeth assumed the throne. Inasmuch as, was it significantly north or south of its present value?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:43 am

drothgery
Admiral

cthia wrote:I'd like to know just how many years Manticore enjoyed in a state of peace before war began.
I don't think Manticore had ever been involved a war with more than a handful of major engagements prior to the first Havenite War, unless the ongoing clashes with pirates in Silesia counts. The conflicts with the Free Brotherhood and Axelrod had only one major battle each I think, the San Martin War was very short (and I don't remember the timing on that, though it wasn't long after the Trevor's Star terminus was discovered), etc.

Return to Honorverse