Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

My little project - a maptool for Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: My little project - a maptool for Honorverse
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:43 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:...but I have no idea whether he will be able to use the borders from my map. They're a bit more complicated than simple circles.
as well they should be... :)

I'm an old time Battletech player. I would love a detailed 3D map tool for the BT map of the IS & Periphery. The old House books had detailed info on the systems and their location relative to Sol.

Regarding the comments on bridges, I've hear/read mention of them but they don't seam to appear on any of the maps, there should be much more of them (perhaps in a different color than the junctions).
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by SWM   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:22 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
SWM wrote:...but I have no idea whether he will be able to use the borders from my map. They're a bit more complicated than simple circles.
as well they should be... :)

I'm an old time Battletech player. I would love a detailed 3D map tool for the BT map of the IS & Periphery. The old House books had detailed info on the systems and their location relative to Sol.

Regarding the comments on bridges, I've hear/read mention of them but they don't seam to appear on any of the maps, there should be much more of them (perhaps in a different color than the junctions).

If you mean the one-link bridges, you are correct. There aren't any on the maps, because we don't know where they are. David has told us numerous times that there are far more wormholes than are marked on the maps he has given us. We have had references in the text to quite a few wormholes. But we have no idea where they are on the maps.

But you have to be careful about using the term bridge. The term has also been used in the text for a single link from a junction. In other words, it looks like the term might refer to any wormhole link between one star and another, whether it is isolated or part of a larger junction.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Joat42   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Progress update:
  • Finally got the borders working (Cartesian to polar conversion and vice versa works so much better if some unnamed rather large software company could decide which friggin system to use instead of everything in a jumbled mess :evil: :evil:).
  • Completed the dataset for all borders.

I'm hoping to start working on persisting data so I can get editing up and working in the application instead of manually typing everything in.

Screenshots from the latest iteration:
click to embiggen

click to embiggen

click to embiggen

click to embiggen

click to embiggen

Comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Valinor   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:54 am

Valinor
Midshipman

First of all I want to say Nice work, it looks very cool.

As you know I started working on a web version and I think we both went the same way on some points. I also used OpenCV to scan SWM's map to get the star coords, if you stuck with pixels as coordinates we might have similar data.

Did you automate the naming part or did you put it manually?
I might want to look at the OCR capabilities of OpenCV...
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:08 am

Joat42
Admiral

Valinor wrote:First of all I want to say Nice work, it looks very cool.

As you know I started working on a web version and I think we both went the same way on some points. I also used OpenCV to scan SWM's map to get the star coords, if you stuck with pixels as coordinates we might have similar data.

I used blob-detection in OpenCV to find the locations. They where then adjysted to used Earth as 0-reference.

I manually added the names since it was faster than mucking around with OpenCV's OCR functionality. I'll pm you a link later with the dataset I have.

---

Post by Valinor   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:02 am

Valinor
Midshipman

Joat42 wrote:
Valinor wrote:First of all I want to say Nice work, it looks very cool.

I used blob-detection in OpenCV to find the locations. They where then adjysted to used Earth as 0-reference.

I manually added the names since it was faster than mucking around with OpenCV's OCR functionality. I'll pm you a link later with the dataset I have.

You are right, I have found a way to make changes easier and I am puting the names by hand, almost done. It seems OpenCV doesn't have OCR per se, and counting the stars I had left I had les than a hundred. Thanks for the offer.

Did you have problems with your glob detection not detecting 2 or 3 stars that are too near as separate entities?
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:37 am

Joat42
Admiral

Valinor wrote:You are right, I have found a way to make changes easier and I am puting the names by hand, almost done. It seems OpenCV doesn't have OCR per se, and counting the stars I had left I had les than a hundred. Thanks for the offer.

Did you have problems with your glob detection not detecting 2 or 3 stars that are too near as separate entities?

I realized too that it didn't have OCR per se, so I just skipped it.

Yes, I added the stars it couldn't detect. I tried tweaking the detection-parameters and spent more time than it would have taken to manually measure it so I just gave up on the detection in the end. Also, it had problems detecting the "stars" that where hollow so I added those manually too.

---

Post by Theemile   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:46 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
Valinor wrote:You are right, I have found a way to make changes easier and I am puting the names by hand, almost done. It seems OpenCV doesn't have OCR per se, and counting the stars I had left I had les than a hundred. Thanks for the offer.

I realized too that it didn't have OCR per se, so I just skipped it.

Yes, I added the stars it couldn't detect. I tried tweaking the detection-parameters and spent more time than it would have taken to manually measure it so I just gave up on the detection in the end. Also, it had problems detecting the "stars" that where hollow so I added those manually too.

Joat, I have the Silensian Breakdown between Manticore and Andermani- or something close to it. There was a large map in the center of the SITS 3 shipbook with Silensia in it. When you overlay the Silensia section of the RMN map in House of Steel, it lines up almost perfectly with some Cardinal stars. The dividing line is a diagonal, with the RMN pretty much getting the SE 1/2 of Silensia, including the Posnan sector at the bottom, Silensia itself in the center, and the Chalice on the upper corner. I can include pictures and my list of which planets are on which side if needed.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:29 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Joat42 wrote:...(map)...
nice - looks a lot more like it. :)
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:44 am

Joat42
Admiral

Theemile wrote:Joat, I have the Silensian Breakdown between Manticore and Andermani- or something close to it. There was a large map in the center of the SITS 3 shipbook with Silensia in it. When you overlay the Silensia section of the RMN map in House of Steel, it lines up almost perfectly with some Cardinal stars. The dividing line is a diagonal, with the RMN pretty much getting the SE 1/2 of Silensia, including the Posnan sector at the bottom, Silensia itself in the center, and the Chalice on the upper corner. I can include pictures and my list of which planets are on which side if needed.

If you have a pictures of the map I would very much appreciate if you could send it to me.

---

Return to Honorverse