Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests

My little project - a maptool for Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: My little project - a maptool for Honorverse
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:49 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:Wasn´t there some very loose mention somewhere of how junction to junction MIGHT be possible, but if it was the probability was so small it didn´t matter anyway...

Or something?

May have been something i read just here on the forum, but i know i´ve read it somewhere...

Yes, there is, as I said above. OBS says that the theorists insist that it should be possible to go directly from one terminus to another terminus of the same junction, without stopping at the junction itself. But no one has figured out how, and I'm sure it is driving the physicists mad.

I've always suspected that this was a Chekov's Gun, which would become a critical point later in the series. But no sign of it yet.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:53 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
Tenshinai wrote:Wasn´t there some very loose mention somewhere of how junction to junction MIGHT be possible, but if it was the probability was so small it didn´t matter anyway...

Or something?

May have been something i read just here on the forum, but i know i´ve read it somewhere...

Yes, there is, as I said above. OBS says that the theorists insist that it should be possible to go directly from one terminus to another terminus of the same junction, without stopping at the junction itself. But no one has figured out how, and I'm sure it is driving the physicists mad.

I've always suspected that this was a Chekov's Gun, which would become a critical point later in the series. But no sign of it yet.

Ooh...had a nasty nasty thought.

What if Mesa has figured this trick out, or is in the process of figuring it out. And what if that means they could jump directly from Darius to Torch.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:27 pm

munroburton
Admiral

SWM wrote:
SWM wrote:Yes, there is, as I said above. OBS says that the theorists insist that it should be possible to go directly from one terminus to another terminus of the same junction, without stopping at the junction itself. But no one has figured out how, and I'm sure it is driving the physicists mad.

Ooh...had a nasty nasty thought.

What if Mesa has figured this trick out, or is in the process of figuring it out. And what if that means they could jump directly from Darius to Torch.

A frightening prospect. However, there's nothing stopping them from making a conventional trip, whether in hyperspace or via the interventing wormhole bridges, to the other side of the Torch wormhole and proceeding from there.

Given the scarcity of junctions and that Manticore now has control of all the MWJ's termini, I suspect opportunities for a terminus-to-terminus attack have virtually all passed.

It's probably something that might have come up if Haven managed to take Basilisk before Trevor's Star was captured by Manticore.
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

SWM wrote:Yes, there is, as I said above. OBS says that the theorists insist that it should be possible to go directly from one terminus to another terminus of the same junction, without stopping at the junction itself. But no one has figured out how, and I'm sure it is driving the physicists mad.

Ehm, that´s not what i asked... I asked about JUNCTION TO JUNCTION.

Ie, if there could be junctions connecting to junctions.

Ponder the unlikely potential of the Basilisk Terminus suddenly being found to actually be a junction instead, with one or more OTHER termini.

Anyone finding and successfully taking control of a multitermini junction connecting to a multitermini junction would have some seriously good prospects at getting rich.
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:

Ehm, that´s not what i asked... I asked about JUNCTION TO JUNCTION.

Ie, if there could be junctions connecting to junctions.

Ponder the unlikely potential of the Basilisk Terminus suddenly being found to actually be a junction instead, with one or more OTHER termini.

Anyone finding and successfully taking control of a multitermini junction connecting to a multitermini junction would have some seriously good prospects at getting rich.

Ah, in that case, you are mistaken. There is no text or infodump suggesting even the theoretical possibility of jumping from one junction to another junction. Every junction is separate from every other junction.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:Ooh...had a nasty nasty thought.

Wouldn't they get shortstopped at the twins? Torch is the terminus of one of the Twins while the Felix junction terminates at the other Twin.

Still being able to bypass Felix would be a benefit especially if/once that wormhole becomes known. Less risk of getting noticed.
Post by SWM   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:01 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Wouldn't they get shortstopped at the twins? Torch is the terminus of one of the Twins while the Felix junction terminates at the other Twin.

Still being able to bypass Felix would be a benefit especially if/once that wormhole becomes known. Less risk of getting noticed.

I have suggested numerous times before that perhaps the Felix Junction originally linked directly to Torch, and somehow was intersected or split at the Twins hyper limit. So my new speculation is that jumping directly from one terminus to another might let you go directly from Darius to Torch, bypassing both Felix and the Twins.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I have suggested numerous times before that perhaps the Felix Junction originally linked directly to Torch, and somehow was intersected or split at the Twins hyper limit. So my new speculation is that jumping directly from one terminus to another might let you go directly from Darius to Torch, bypassing both Felix and the Twins.

I tend to think that you're probably right that something broke the original link to form the twins.

But I also think that once the link was broken it's broken and even with terminus-to-terminus travel perfected that you wouldn't be able to skate past the break.

But as there's no text-ev one way or the other I guess we'll have to wait and see (or more likely not see).
Post by SWM   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:25 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
SWM wrote:I have suggested numerous times before that perhaps the Felix Junction originally linked directly to Torch, and somehow was intersected or split at the Twins hyper limit. So my new speculation is that jumping directly from one terminus to another might let you go directly from Darius to Torch, bypassing both Felix and the Twins.

I tend to think that you're probably right that something broke the original link to form the twins.

But I also think that once the link was broken it's broken and even with terminus-to-terminus travel perfected that you wouldn't be able to skate past the break.

But as there's no text-ev one way or the other I guess we'll have to wait and see (or more likely not see).

I actually don't think we will ever find out. At this point in the series and the current strategic situation, I don't think terminus-to-terminus transits make a huge difference, and I have a feeling we will never see it in in the books. But no one else has ever even suggested the possibility of direct transits between Darius and Torch, so I felt I had to point it out once it occurred to me. :)
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:44 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Wouldn't they get shortstopped at the twins? Torch is the terminus of one of the Twins while the Felix junction terminates at the other Twin.

SWM wrote:I have suggested numerous times before that perhaps the Felix Junction originally linked directly to Torch, and somehow was intersected or split at the Twins hyper limit. So my new speculation is that jumping directly from one terminus to another might let you go directly from Darius to Torch, bypassing both Felix and the Twins.

Well, yeah. I think it's pretty obvious that, once the authors decided to put a cutout between Felix and Torch, they decided that having a star cut the path would be a good way to do it. The fact that both termini are on the hyper limit certainly suggests that as the solution.

And that also suggests that any terminus to terminus direct transit would also be cut out at The Twins.

Return to Honorverse