Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauntless, Theemile and 140 guests

Honorverse - Etymology in action

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse - Etymology in action
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Real life examples of language etymology, evolution and mutations born of the Honorverse.

santinoed: A ship and its officers being led to a senseless death by an asshole.

Etymology: Origins, Manticore. Originated from a senseless act by Elvis Santino.

Ex: "The entire squadron was lost sir. We managed a complete sensor log of the events in question before we were forced off station. They were Santinoed sir!"

Examples of this in action...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7269&start=34

Last edited by cthia on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Honorverse - Etymology in action
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

copper-plated Cordelia Ransom: Someone or some thing who is the worse form of a bitch.

Etymology: Believed to have originated on Manticore but a recent linguist has reason to dispute its origin to be that of The Republic of Haven. Originated from the attributes of one Cordelia Ranson of the RHN -- the worse form of a bitch. It was a general consensus that she put the beotch in bitch.

Ex. "I'll tell you what she is! She's a copper-plated Cordelia Ransom! That's what she is! AND I'LL PAY A KING'S RANSOM TO HAVE HER HEAD!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

janasacked: Usually refers to the unwarranted beaching of an officer, but also enjoys accepted mainstream use of any beaching.

Etymology: Manticore. Origins: Evolved from the unfair, unwarranted and unjustified beachings of officers by a once Manticoran First Lord of the Admiralty.

Ex. "He has turned into a drunk since he was janasacked."

Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

salamandered: to have your ship, ships or ground forces outmaneuvered and captured or destroyed by the unprecedented tactics of a genius tactician.

Etymology: Born of the exploits of a genius strategist and tactician of the RMN. Origins: Republic of Haven.

Ex. "Admiral Constanzas was simply overmatched, his entire fleet was salamandered."

Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

byng-ed: The cowardly and dastardly act of firing on a ship -- usually with wedges down -- without provocation or cause.

Etymology: Derived from the senseless act of an Admiral Byng, a Solarian League officer who fired on and destroyed three defenseless destroyers without warning or provocation. Origins: Manticore.

Ex. "We're dealing with Solarians. Helm, place us in parking orbit next to those cruisers, but keep our wedges up and our eye on the ball. We wouldn't want to get bynged."

"Aye, aye sir."

Last edited by cthia on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

youngin':
1. slang for young person.
2. unruly offspring of Dimiri Young.
Etymology: Old Earth slang.
Origins: East coast of Old Earth.
Ex. "Of course he's a womanizer. What else do you expect of him, he's a youngin'."

Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

hamish-ed: In naval warfare, to easily defeat, or be defeated, because of an unpropitious difference in opposing technology.
Etymology: Derived from a Manticoran Admiral, by the name of Hamish Alexander, stating that a particular offensive "was like pushing baby chicks into a stream of near pike."
Origins: Manticoran Admiralty.
Ex. "The entire Solarian fleet was hamished, the tech gap was cavernous."

Post by Kytheros   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
hamish-ed: In naval warfare, to easily defeat, or be defeated, because of an unpropitious difference in opposing technology.
Etymology: Derived from a Manticoran Admiral, by the name of Hamish Alexander, stating that a particular offensive "was like pushing baby chicks into a stream of near pike."

Nah, that one should be "Buttercupped". Or maybe "Manticored".
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:01 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Kytheros wrote:
cthia wrote:hamish-ed: In naval warfare, to easily defeat, or be defeated, because of an unpropitious difference in opposing technology.

Nah, that one should be "Buttercupped". Or maybe "Manticored".

Do not feed this animal! :D
Post by kenl511   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:

I thought that was "Salamandered"

Return to Honorverse