Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], penny and 49 guests

Honorverse - Etymology in action

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse - Etymology in action
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:Firebranding: the act of injudiciously identifying yourself in the context of distinctive misdeeds

Didn't see that one coming. Good one.

ransom: adj. An attitude completely devoid of human compassion or remorse. A monster of epic proportions. Inhumanely inhuman.
Etymology: The copper-plated bitch has permeated the human language again with this latest addition.
Origins: Linguists can only agree that it came into widespread use simultaneously in several systems in the Haven quadrant.
Ex. "Back-off, I know they're MAlign prisoners! But we have our orders! Don't have such a ransom attitude."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Webster's Unabridged Dictionary: Post Diaspora Edition.

nanited, nyted: The practice of gaining control of an individual through the unwarranted introduction of nanites. Compulsion warfare.
Etymology: Derived from a practice of a secret entity known as the Mesan Alignment. After this proverbial cat was let out of the bag, it became a practice that came and went.
Origin: Haven sector.
Ex. He would never kill his entire family. He loved them. It's obvious that he was nyted!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cerbed: v. To have been handed total destruction out of the gaseous clouds by a ship or ships maneuvering on reaction thrusters only and operating in stealth.

Etymology: Derived from a tactical maneuver during the Battle of Cerberus by the newly formed ESN which maneuvered its ships on an intercept course using thrusters only, which allowed it to stealthily catch the enemy and destroy all Havenite warships with an "up the kilt" manoeuvre. After second salvo, only five battered hulls remained.

Origins: First use originated above victorious ships above Hades in a memorable exclamative...

Ex. You got cerbed!

Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

eradanite: v. To purposely commit an Eradani violation upon a planet.
Etymology: Derived from a conceived copycat crime of a MAlign conspiracy theory and conspiratorial plan.
Origins: East coast of Old Earth within a forum discussion.
Ex. To galvanize its polities and rally the troops plus simultaneously receive the governments backing to bankroll the Navy, the League could pull a MAlign and "eradanite" one of its own planets whilst feigning outrage and ignorance of the perpetrator(s).

Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cupiding: To shamelessly use one's matchmaker skills to pair two people who are perfectly right for each other. Soulmates.
Etymology: A verbified form of the noun Cupid.
Origin: Old Earth, from an incurable romantic with her feet in the Sol system but her heart hypering its way to Nouvea Paris in the Haven sector.
Ex. I could practically write a dissertation on the profound effect Honor Harrington had on Estelle Matsuko and her perception of the Navy, and how that's shaped her as the Talbott Quadrant's governor, but I shall spare you. :D

Just. Their relationship is so gah and if things were even just a tiny bit different I would be Cupiding that like a very, very busy Cupid. --roseandheather.

Post by tinfoil   » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:44 pm

tinfoil
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Buckley v: To end one's existence in some ignoble, unlikely or embarrassing manner.
Origin: various old earth texts.
Ex: You would think that it would be almost impossible to get killed by having a spaceship fall on you, but he got buckleyed.

Return to Honorverse