Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests

I have to read all the everythings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: I have to read all the everythings
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:56 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

kzt wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:There is a third companion planned as well, but I always forget who we will deal with there.

"House of Cards", on the SL and MA. Ok, that isn't the actual title, though it is a great title that someone clever than me came up with,

I'll take credit for that one, and thanks for thinking it's clever. I thought it was obvious, considering how both the SLN and MAlign are going to fall apart.

By the way, are you going to be at Bubonicon? I'd like meeting some of the other Albuquerque area Weber fans.
Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:42 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
I'll take credit for that one, and thanks for thinking it's clever. I thought it was obvious, considering how both the SLN and MAlign are going to fall apart.

By the way, are you going to be at Bubonicon? I'd like meeting some of the other Albuquerque area Weber fans.

I wasn't really planning to, this years program drips SJW BS, but I could.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
The title y'all want is House of Shadows, about Mesa, the League, and (maybe) Silesia. :D

(Don't ask me how I remembered that when it's connected to neither Haven nor Grayson in any conceivable way. I don't know, either.)

You remembered because Eloise is going to have Kevin and Ginny Usher tell Cachat to tear it down. No?

Rob
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:58 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
roseandheather wrote:
The title y'all want is House of Shadows, about Mesa, the League, and (maybe) Silesia. :D

(Don't ask me how I remembered that when it's connected to neither Haven nor Grayson in any conceivable way. I don't know, either.)

You remembered because Eloise is going to have Kevin and Ginny Usher tell Cachat to tear it down. No?

Rob

I knew there had to be a reason!!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by tiber1978   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:20 pm

tiber1978
Ensign

So then, there really isn't anything, currently, that talks about what happens AFTER Cauldron of Ghosts...?

roseandheather wrote:
tiber1978 wrote:So here is a dumb follow up:

Will reading the books in the order they were published just happen to feed me chronologically too?

I only just found out there were spinoffs, including one written by the immortal Zahn, about 1-2 books ago, but was too preoccupied wanting to see Highridge die in a fire and see how the Harrington/Alexander rollercoaster went to deviate and start reading them.

But if switching to side lines will give me relevant information that will complement A Rising Thunder, I guess I just need to decide if I am going all the way back to the beginning (all the way back to Basilisk) or if I should settle for going back to More Than Honor. Thoughts?

Second stupid/semi-unrelated question:
Does anyone have a good resource for tracking the development of the graphic novels I saw io9 forecasting a few months ago...?

I would go back to Changer of Worlds and read the "spinoffs" (which they're not, really, they're essential parts of the main story but just take place in a different area of space) from there. I'll probably be punched for this, but the only short stories you really need to read are, in my opinion, "From the Highlands" (from Changer of Worlds), and "Fanatic" and "The Service of the Sword" (from The Service of the Sword) if you want to understand the ongoing mainline arc.

The Stephanie Harrington books (which I adore) and the Travis Long books (written by Zahn) take place several centuries before Honor's time and while quite interesting in their own right don't have much essential bearing on the current goings-on. "A Whiff of Grapeshot" and "Nightfall" are useful for understanding the Havenite side of the plot, particularly Esther McQueen's career, but not necessary; "Queen's Gambit", "What Price Dreams?", "The Hard Way Home", "Ms Midshipwoman Harrington", "Changer of Worlds", "Let's Dance", "Beauty and the Beast", and "Obligated Service" all provide useful background and are excellent reads but can wait until you've watched High Ridge go down in flames. (It's just as satisfying as it sounds.)

From there:
Changer of Worlds (Mar 01) (Anthology)
-> War of Honor fits here
The Service of the Sword (Apr 03) (Anthology)
Crown of Slaves (Sep03)
The Shadow of Saganami (Oct 04)
-> At All Costs fits here
Storm from the Shadows (Mar 09)
Torch of Freedom (Nov 09)
-> Mission of Honor fits here
Shadow of Freedom (Mar 13) (post-ART)
Cauldron of Ghosts (Apr 14)

The rest of the anthologies aren't essential (but still worth reading!!).

Welcome to the madness. I'm Rose, resident Cupid and Havenite fangirl. Nice to meet you! :twisted:
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:26 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

tiber1978 wrote:So then, there really isn't anything, currently, that talks about what happens AFTER Cauldron of Ghosts...?

Correct, that is "now" in the honorverse.
Post by drothgery   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:59 pm

drothgery
Admiral

tiber1978 wrote:So then, there really isn't anything, currently, that talks about what happens AFTER Cauldron of Ghosts...?
Not outside of David Weber's PC, and possibly his editor and/or pre-readers, no. The last time anyone got a status update from RFC, he was working on the next Honorverse book, and it's scheduled for this fall.
Post by darrell   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:39 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:

Correct, that is "now" in the honorverse.

drothgery wrote:Not outside of David Weber's PC, and possibly his editor and/or pre-readers, no. The last time anyone got a status update from RFC, he was working on the next Honorverse book, and it's scheduled for this fall.

CoG, last paragraph of next to last chapter - 66: “Well, General Palane, it seems something new has been added to the balance of forces here in the Mesa System. Thirty-five minutes ago—”

Michell Henke and 10th fleet arrived at mesa.

Ghosts may be the end of the slaves novels. OTOH, it may not, as victor and cachet may go hunting for the malignment planet darius.

Shadow of freedom may be the end of the Talbot storyline. OTOH 10th fleet may be the force that attacks and destroys darius while honor takes care of the SL.

I am not going to try to predict how things go, as RFC has a devious mind, and I have a poor record of what happens in the future.
Last edited by darrell on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by drothgery   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:46 pm

drothgery
Admiral

darrell wrote:
kzt wrote:Not outside of David Weber's PC, and possibly his editor and/or pre-readers, no. The last time anyone got a status update from RFC, he was working on the next Honorverse book, and it's scheduled for this fall.

I wrote that, not kzt.
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

My understanding is that Eric and David like working together, but they had enormous coordination problems getting the last book done. Note the huge continuity issues and other mistakes liberally sprinkled throughout it. My understanding is that they don't have any plans to do another.

Return to Honorverse