Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 166 guests

List of Honor

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
List of Honor
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

With the Congress designating that the "next after next" carrier (CVN-80) be named Enterprise, have we started a "List of Honor?"
Re: List of Honor
Post by HB of CJ   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:55 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

More or less. We kinda had one for a number of years. As an example with the USN before and during WW2, Destroyers were named after individual heros. Light Crusiers for smaller towns. Heavy Cruisers after bigger cities. Battlewagons after States. Ammo ships after volcanoes. Transports after bays or rivers?

Early Carriers usually after famous battles which we usually won. (not always won) submarines after various nasty sea creatures at first, but just dangerous sea creatures later when they ran out of shark or predatory names. The USS Ranger and USS Enterprise WW2 carriers were exceptions to the rules.

Later our post WW2 super carriers were named after dead US Presidents, USN Admirals or Politicans. Recently this has expanded. Admiral Rickover did not care what the politicians named his nuke subs. He needed the funding. Good decision. Nowadays the same thing. Naming has become political like the upcoming USS Ford, Bush and Kennedy.

There were long gaps in time where we had no carrier named USS Enterprise. The WW2 version was scrapped in the late 1950's The curent Enterprise is being scrapped now I believe, or soon to be. Sad. The next planned USS Enterprise isn't scheduled for a number of years. Hope this helps. No contineous role of honor.
Post by Erls   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:29 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Frankly, its a shame that the USA doesn't have a "List of Honor".

Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 ships that definitely should be in continuous service.

1- USS Constitution
2- USS Bonhomme Richard
3- USS Monitor
4- USS Enterprise

Each vessel played a major role in American naval history.
Post by Kizarvexis   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:51 am

Kizarvexis
Captain (Junior Grade)

Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:58 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:...I can think of 4 ships that definitely should be in continuous service.

1- USS Constitution

FWIW, the USS Constitution has been in "continuous service" since 1797. She is the second oldest commissioned ship after HMS Victory. (actually, she's had several periods "in ordinary" and decommissioned.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Vince   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:04 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Erls wrote:Frankly, its a shame that the USA doesn't have a "List of Honor".

Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 ships that definitely should be in continuous service.

1- USS Constitution
2- USS Bonhomme Richard
3- USS Monitor
4- USS Enterprise

Each vessel played a major role in American naval history.

The USS Constitution is still on active duty.
http://www.navy.mil/local/constitution/visitors.asp
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:20 am

Fox2!
Commodore

HB of CJ wrote:
Early Carriers usually after famous battles which we usually won. (not always won) ... The USS Ranger and USS Enterprise WW2 carriers were exceptions to the rules.

It just happened that Lex and Sara (CV-2 and 3, respectively) were named as battlecruisers (CC-1 and 2) after cities that had been the sites of famous battles. Other carriers (e.g., Wasp, Ranger, Hornet, and yes, Enterprise) were named for famous ships of the Revolutionary through War of 1812 period. Through America (CV-66), those two sources were used, except for Franklin (CV-13), Franklin D. Rosevelt (CV-42) and Wright (CVL-49). Langley (CV-1) was named for the former head of the Smithsonian Institution, who had supposedly beaten the Wrights into the air.

Since Kennedy (CV-67), with the exception of Nimitz (CVN-68), carriers have been named for politicians. Surprised that Robert Byrd somehow missed getting one named for him.

Constitution is the oldest commissioned warship afloat, given that HMS Victory is in permanent dry dock. And the less said about Chesapeake, the better.
Post by Roguevictory   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:59 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I would put all the ships from Taffy 3 on the list. If they didn't earn it I don't know if any ship has.
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:44 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Nothing against this discussion - I only wonder, if the "List of Honor" aspect is enough to put it in "Honorverse" - especially, if the posts are not related to Honor Harrington at all? Maybe it would be better suited to "Free range topics"?

In this conference I would expect a discussion, which Manticoran/Grayson/Havenite or even solarian Ships you would put on a list of Honor and why (assuming Grayson, Haven or the League all have such a list, at all) - but nothing, that is from the start related only to OTL.

Return to Honorverse