Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

(SPOILERS AHOY) House of Lies: Let the Speculation Begin!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: (SPOILERS AHOY) House of Lies: Let the Speculation Begin
Post by dwileye13   » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:03 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

Wow is all I have to say

good news and just news
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:This would be too much for a novella (or 3), but...

We now have:
Honor Harrington series
Kingdom of Slaves series
Saganami Island series
Manticore Ascending series

I would really love to have a:
Haven Republic series...

Think of it as a multi-part, 4-5 book series.
Book 1 would almost be like Harry Turtledove's "Opening Atlantis", composed of 3-5 novellas detailing different parts in Haven's history pre-BLS and the People's Republic. The initial settlers, the first daughter colonies, brushes with pirates, the Manticore Wormhole, working with Beowulf, etc...
Book 2 could be all about the shift to the People's Republic up until just before Basilisk Station. Focusing on Theisman, Javier, Alfredo, Lester, Shannon etc as young officers as well as Eloise, Harris, Amos Parr, Pierre, Saint-Just, etc.
Book 3 would be Basilisk Station fall-out up to Tom killing Saint-Just and ends with Eloise being asked to become President..
Book 4 would be all about Bolthole, the constitutional fights, the civil war going on, etc..

I, personally, think that would be one hell of a story and fill in a huge gap in the Honorverse. Especially if Haven and the SEM are going to become close allies once more. Getting the whole story from when they were close friends to the bitterest of enemies and then back.

Roseandheather, would you agree?

I think this should be put on-chip and sent upstairs to the powers that be. I love it! How do you say mouth-watering in a universal language?

Oh yea, 'slobber!'

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Erls   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:26 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

It would really help "complete" the Honorverse. And, with the right author and RFC's oversight would be an incredible story.

Besides, who wouldn't want to read about Theisman's middy cruise upon a destroyer commanded by Alfredo Yu?!?!?!?!?
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:45 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Erls wrote:It would really help "complete" the Honorverse. And, with the right author and RFC's oversight would be an incredible story.

Besides, who wouldn't want to read about Theisman's middy cruise upon a destroyer commanded by Alfredo Yu?!?!?!?!?

Shannon Foraker's middy cruise.

Giscard and Theisman and Tourville getting together for drinks and Not Speaking about what they all dream of.

Eloise and Javier: from the first meeting to the last.

Tourville's middy cruise.

The second-worst drunken night of Tom Theisman's life in his third year at the Academy.

Warner Caslet, baby-faced midshipman at the Academy.

Eloise and Estelle as children, before everything went (even more) to hell.

Election night, when Eloise Pritchart was elected on her own merits as the first true president of Haven in over two hundred years - kissing Javier, hugging Theisman, and walking out onstage in the ballroom to a thundering ovation before giving a speech that nearly blew the roof off said ballroom.

In case it's not clear by now: I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!!

(In all seriousness, I very much doubt I could do this series justice - but if you think I wouldn't be camped outside the bookstore before every freakin' new release, you are certifiably nuts.)

*strolls off humming "Wildest Dreams" under my breath*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Erls   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:54 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Rose, go further back..

What about a story of the original colonists of Haven who created the Republic? A whole novella of the time when Haven was "Athens past the Verge" and complete friends with Beowulf?

The economic boom that likely followed the discover of the MWJ and Trevors Star, putting Haven itself less than 2 months travel from Old Sol?

All of that would be incredibly fascinating reading, especially if we are introduced to some early "heroes of the Republic" that we later find out Theisman et al modeled themselves after..
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:40 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Erls wrote:Rose, go further back..

What about a story of the original colonists of Haven who created the Republic? A whole novella of the time when Haven was "Athens past the Verge" and complete friends with Beowulf?

The economic boom that likely followed the discover of the MWJ and Trevors Star, putting Haven itself less than 2 months travel from Old Sol?

All of that would be incredibly fascinating reading, especially if we are introduced to some early "heroes of the Republic" that we later find out Theisman et al modeled themselves after..

*whining noises*

*grabby motions*

*muffled sobbing that this will probably never happen*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:03 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
Erls wrote:It would really help "complete" the Honorverse. And, with the right author and RFC's oversight would be an incredible story.

Shannon Foraker's middy cruise.

Tourville's middy cruise.

Warner Caslet, baby-faced midshipman at the Academy.

Out of curiosity sake his it ever been confirmed that the PRHN and RHN naval academy uses RMN style middy cruises as part of their training? I would love to see these stories if the cruises happened but I only recall RMN officer training being given any real detail in the books for obvious reasons.

While I am pretty sure the modernized Isaiah Mackenzie Naval Academy curriculum for the GSN would include such a cruise given how many of their recent officers graduated from Saganami Island though I don't recall anything confirming that in the books.

And the RHN Academy could easily have a vastly different training regimen then Saganami Island which might not include middy cruises between time at the academy and receiving the rank of ensign.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd like to see the intimate stories of the Havenite government deciding to assassinate King Roger and thinking they'd get a weak Queen then realizing "Oh shit, what have we gotten ourselves into with this Soul of Steel!" Up to and including the planning of it and all the other assassinations and possibly whether any of their officers caught wind of it and what they thought of the assassinations.

The story would include intimate discussion of Edward Saganami's battle. In fact, we almost never get or think of the loser of most of the battles having to drag their broken tail back home to Noveau Paris for a losers unwelcome. I'd like to have intimate accounts of the RHN first realizing just how good those damn Manties really are at ship to ship combat.

We'd undoubtedly see Haven's economy begin to falter and then the introduction of all sorts of welfare programs which undoubtedly led to the romantic interest of many decent men wanting to become naval officers and fight for a better Haven. Seeing their fellow citizens begin to starve isn't cool when those Manties just over the other side of the junction are living like royalty.

We'd undoubtedly get Haven's first stone laid in the plans of a Bolthole and how it was achieved in total secrecy.

And just for scientific interest, how does life turn a young girl into the wickedest witch of the copper-plated bitches and births a Cordelia Ransom?

And I know this one won't happen, but if the story began with sweet little baby Shannon sitting on a high-chair and intentionally pushing her awful green peas to the floor when mother is distracted by HD and saying her first word "OOPS." Would be quite nice. And following her up to her playing hopscotch and then bullies busting her music box and her crying in her room but then figuring out that she can repair it and make it better.

Just Shannon, Shannon, Shannon. Just... what shaped Shannon.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hot Damn!

I just realized that RFC, the Mad Wizard, will undoubtedly take this opportunity to redeem himself. He can't possibly, wouldn't possibly, cheat us twice, would he? No way!

We'll finally get. Oh my gawd...
Trevor's Star was located to the galactic east of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, in the territory of the expanded People's Republic of Haven. It was orbited by one inhabited planet named San Martin.

Shortly after the discovery of the Trevor's Star terminus of the Manticoran Wormhole Junction, there was a brief tax-trade war between Manticore and Trevor's Star. This war was settled with a Manticoran victory and a peace treaty which was acceptable to both parties.

The system was an independent star nation until 1880 PD when it was invaded and forcibly annexed by the People's Republic of Haven. A number of refugees managed to escape to Manticore via the wormhole junction. The refugees talked to Office of Naval Intelligence and gave a description of some of the PRH's vessels. Tomas Ramirez was only twelve when he had to evacuate from the system's only planet, San Martin. He lost his father who stayed behind to fight the Havenite forces.

In 1900 PD, the star system's vulnerability to a Manticore attack was one of the primary reasons for Haven's attempted expansion in the Basilisk System.

In 1911 PD, a Manticoran Alliance fleet under the command of Admiral White Haven retook the system in the Battle of Trevor's Star.

In mid 1914 PD, San Martin asked for and was annexed by Manticore, and Trevor's Star became a part of the Star Kingdom.

And with it the logistics and tactics of the most anticipated battle unvisited in the Honorverse and finally... the account of having the interior position at Trevor's Star.

And little Tomas being lost too.

I can't hear you!....

HOT DAMN!

Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:45 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

I'd like to see the lead up to the compensator malfunction of queen consort Solange's ship. Was it an accident or did Haven engineer it?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse