Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 169 guests

(SPOILERS AHOY) House of Lies: Let the Speculation Begin!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: (SPOILERS AHOY) House of Lies: Let the Speculation Begin
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

John Prigent wrote:Did I disturb your equanimity, Cthia? Sorry about that. No, I've never had that experience so I'll defer to you. FWIW, we've been happily married for more than 50 years so I don't think she'll dump me now.
Cheers
John

cthia wrote:
John Prigent wrote:Well over half a decade, roseandheather? Is that all? Some of us have been following it for over two decades :D .
Cheers
John (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Yes John. But you followed the series literally. She followed the series emotionally with her heart and soul. That more than makes up for the difference in exposure.

In the words of a woman. You love the series and the characters but Rose is in love with the series and the characters.

If you've never had a woman dumping you and explaining the difference of loving you and being in love with you, then you're lucky. It's the pits - so I've heard.

No no John. That was accomplished many moons ago by Madeleine Rebecca Sousa - my next door neighbor. I had fallen deeply in love with her. She had only loved me. In the end, she was quite right. We had grown too close for it to ever work. I didn't want to hear it at the time.

Point is, there is a huge difference between loving and being in-love with characters or storyline. After my first time reading A Little Princess I was the authority on it. I had feelings invested. I was in love, much like Rose with certain Havenites.

True love is profound even at first read.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:48 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

cthia wrote:
JeffEngel wrote:Best-of-friends with benefits? Love and sex and friendship and trust without it being specifically romantic, I'd say. It certainly wasn't a casual relationship as a whole, but the sex part doesn't seem to have been crucial and it wasn't like it was with Javier.

Absolutely. That wasn't a love affair, as you've both noted. I saw their relationship akin to that Hamish had on the down-low with - who was that officer?

Admiral Theodosia Kuzak - R.I.P.
Post by exiledtoIA   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:18 pm

exiledtoIA
Lieutenant Commander

All (accurate) jokes about my blood pressure aside - this is possibly the single most exciting news I have ever had come out of the Honorverse, and I've been following this series in one form or another for well over half a decade. So - let us speculate!

What might we see in these magical perfect unicorns - I mean, short stories?

Do we finally get to find out what happened to Tom Theisman that one drunken night his third year at the Academy?

Do we get to see Eloise and Tom's first meeting after "Goodbye, Citizen Chairman" and find out how a lifelong friendship began?

Do we get to see Brigade Commander Delta in action?

And, the point closest to my heart - do we get to watch Javier and Eloise fall in love??

Have at it! What do you want to see from these stories? What do you think we will see? And how many times am I going to die while reading them? :mrgreen:[/quote]

I'm torn.
One story I really want is the arrival of Shannon Foraker at Bolthole. " We're going to beat the Manties at their own game - just not in exactly the same way ".

The other is the reactions of Eloise and co when they get back to Haven and Tom informs them that the old government went away and he expects Eloise to bring back the Republic.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:39 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

John Prigent wrote:Well over half a decade, roseandheather? Is that all? Some of us have been following it for over two decades :D .
Cheers

Given that twenty years ago I was still mastering skills like tying my shoes and using scissors without hurting myself, I don't think you can throw too many rocks at me for that. :lol:

Yes, I was around seventeen or eighteen when I discovered this series - having wandered my way over from authors like Mercedes Lackey and David Eddings - and that was in the days before Mission of Honor had been released (I think Crown of Slaves had just come out, actually). So, well over half a decade. :mrgreen:

Having addressed this vile slander, I shall now return to devouring the rest of the thread. 8-)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:45 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:
Kizarvexis wrote:
Prior to Giscard would be Kevin Usher, while she was an Aprilist. Although, that sounded more like friends with benefits than love.

JeffEngel wrote:Best-of-friends with benefits? Love and sex and friendship and trust without it being specifically romantic, I'd say. It certainly wasn't a casual relationship as a whole, but the sex part doesn't seem to have been crucial and it wasn't like it was with Javier.

Absolutely. That wasn't a love affair, as you've both noted. I saw their relationship akin to that Hamish had on the down-low with - who was that officer?

It's just that I sense there being a first love for Eloise, because Giscard wasn't mentioned as her first real love. Probably her strongest though. With her profile giving her as the most beautiful woman that Theisman's ever seen, takes little imagination to entertain that blonde having had more fun earlier on.

Pretty much the same vibe I got re: Usher and Eloise. They love each other, deeply, and they had quite a lot of fun in bed together, but that was more in the nature of a really fun bonus as opposed to something intrinsic to their relationship (in the sense that Kevin/Eloise wouldn't miss it if they couldn't do it, whereas Eloise/Javier most definitely would. And did, as I recall.)

But yes, her affair with Usher was certainly nothing like the lightning strike that was her relationship with Javier. And while Eloise may have had a first love before him - and may well after, if the hints I'm reading about her relationship with Tom Theisman pan out in the direction I'm half suspecting they will - I definitely got the sense that Javier was the one great love of her life - her "one true love", if you will.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by viciokie   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:44 pm

viciokie
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
Cheers

Yes John. But you followed the series literally. She followed the series emotionally with her heart and soul. That more than makes up for the difference in exposure.

In the words of a woman. You love the series and the characters but Rose is in love with the series and the characters.

If you've never had a woman dumping you and explaining the difference of loving you and being in love with you, then you're lucky. It's the pits - so I've heard.

It is the pits being dumped by the one you love and you knowing what it is. One of the reasons i was able to survive was by having this series to duck into and escape reality for a while, whilst my blood pressure dropped to a sane level again. As for this series i have been following it for over a decade now.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Cheers

vicioke wrote:
It is the pits being dumped by the one you love and you knowing what it is. One of the reasons i was able to survive was by having this series to duck into and escape reality for a while, whilst my blood pressure dropped to a sane level again. As for this series i have been following it for over a decade now.

I feel your pain. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I was a rather young teenager, still feeling my way about love. She and I are really good friends now. I attended her wedding. She will be a flower girl in mine.

It would be nice if this was expounded upon...
Pritchart was born on Haven in the 19th Century PD. Having lost her sister Estelle to a street gang, she became a high-ranking member of the Aprilist movement.

And an intimate look into the Aprilist movement, where Eloise's dream of refurbishing the Republic was born.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Erls   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

This would be too much for a novella (or 3), but...

We now have:
Honor Harrington series
Kingdom of Slaves series
Saganami Island series
Manticore Ascending series

I would really love to have a:
Haven Republic series...

Think of it as a multi-part, 4-5 book series.
Book 1 would almost be like Harry Turtledove's "Opening Atlantis", composed of 3-5 novellas detailing different parts in Haven's history pre-BLS and the People's Republic. The initial settlers, the first daughter colonies, brushes with pirates, the Manticore Wormhole, working with Beowulf, etc...
Book 2 could be all about the shift to the People's Republic up until just before Basilisk Station. Focusing on Theisman, Javier, Alfredo, Lester, Shannon etc as young officers as well as Eloise, Harris, Amos Parr, Pierre, Saint-Just, etc.
Book 3 would be Basilisk Station fall-out up to Tom killing Saint-Just and ends with Eloise being asked to become President..
Book 4 would be all about Bolthole, the constitutional fights, the civil war going on, etc..

I, personally, think that would be one hell of a story and fill in a huge gap in the Honorverse. Especially if Haven and the SEM are going to become close allies once more. Getting the whole story from when they were close friends to the bitterest of enemies and then back.

Roseandheather, would you agree?
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:34 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Erls wrote:This would be too much for a novella (or 3), but...

We now have:
Honor Harrington series
Kingdom of Slaves series
Saganami Island series

Haven Republic series...

Book 1 would almost be like Harry Turtledove's "Opening Atlantis", composed of 3-5 novellas detailing different parts in Haven's history pre-BLS and the People's Republic. The initial settlers, the first daughter colonies, brushes with pirates, the Manticore Wormhole, working with Beowulf, etc...
Book 2 could be all about the shift to the People's Republic up until just before Basilisk Station. Focusing on Theisman, Javier, Alfredo, Lester, Shannon etc as young officers as well as Eloise, Harris, Amos Parr, Pierre, Saint-Just, etc.
Book 3 would be Basilisk Station fall-out up to Tom killing Saint-Just and ends with Eloise being asked to become President..
Book 4 would be all about Bolthole, the constitutional fights, the civil war going on, etc..

I, personally, think that would be one hell of a story and fill in a huge gap in the Honorverse. Especially if Haven and the SEM are going to become close allies once more. Getting the whole story from when they were close friends to the bitterest of enemies and then back.

Roseandheather, would you agree?

*sputters* Would I agree with this proposal that is basically all I have ever wanted in life??

Uh, yeah.

Hell, I would write the damn thing. It would be long. Very long. And it would be a love letter to my Republic.

Just... my God. Give me anything about Haven.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:40 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Erls wrote:This would be too much for a novella (or 3), but...

We now have:
Honor Harrington series
Kingdom of Slaves series
Saganami Island series

Haven Republic series...

There's already a tie-in to SKM with the Massingills from "Call to Duty."

Return to Honorverse