Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests

(SPOILERS AHOY) House of Lies: Let the Speculation Begin!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: (SPOILERS AHOY) House of Lies: Let the Speculation Begin
Post by Kytheros   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:52 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:I'd like to see the lead up to the compensator malfunction of queen consort Solange's ship. Was it an accident or did Haven engineer it?

It was almost certainly sabotage.
See the short story about Crown Princess Adrienne ... don't remember which anthology it's in off hand. At any rate, the two who were hired to assassinate her also discussed that incident, and one of them commented on the odds that that ship - one that's probably the most carefully maintained ship in the Star Kingdom - just so happened to have the first compensator failure in centuries (I think it was centuries). While it technically could have been an accident, it seems ... highly unlikely that it was, in fact, a genuine accident, and not the result of malevolent action. It does, however, seem to be the case that the no-doubt thorough investigation into the incident was unable to find proof of the failure being intentional, or if it did find proof, that the proof was suppressed for some reason or another (likely the fact that if Havenite involvement could be or were to be publicly/officially proved, it would be an act of war, for which Manticore would not have been prepared or able to survive, not unlike the situation with the assassination of King Roger, the current Queen Elizabeth's father).

As to whether or not it was Haven, and if so, how directly Haven was involved ... I think it is more likely that not that Haven, Havenite agents, and/or Havenite-sympathizing Manticorans, had some degree of involvement. They, in turn, may or may not have been manipulated into it by MAlign agents, but there's no way to know for sure.
Post by Erls   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

See, I don't think it was Haven at all.

Remember, the attempted assassination of Crown Princess Adrienne happened in 1652. The DuQuesne Plan didn't begin until 1700.

If I had to guess who was behind this attempt it is likely to be one or more Manticore Lords who were attempting to weaken the Crown.
Post by tonyz   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:41 pm

tonyz
Lieutenant Commander

Me? I don't want him to go backward and fill out more detail. I want him to go forward and finish the story! :lol:
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

tonyz wrote:Me? I don't want him to go backward and fill out more detail. I want him to go forward and finish the story! :lol:

SO SAY WE ALL.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Roguevictory   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:47 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

tonyz wrote:Me? I don't want him to go backward and fill out more detail. I want him to go forward and finish the story! :lol:

I want both.
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:33 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

given the comments to the officer who was being blackmailed into giving up the list of where adrienne would be I've always suspected negligence/selling of military parts and a very cheap/poor quality substitution.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:34 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Kytheros wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:I'd like to see the lead up to the compensator malfunction of queen consort Solange's ship. Was it an accident or did Haven engineer it?

It was almost certainly sabotage.
See the short story about Crown Princess Adrienne ... don't remember which anthology it's in off hand. At any rate, the two who were hired to assassinate her also discussed that incident, and one of them commented on the odds that that ship - one that's probably the most carefully maintained ship in the Star Kingdom - just so happened to have the first compensator failure in centuries (I think it was centuries). While it technically could have been an accident, it seems ... highly unlikely that it was, in fact, a genuine accident, and not the result of malevolent action. It does, however, seem to be the case that the no-doubt thorough investigation into the incident was unable to find proof of the failure being intentional, or if it did find proof, that the proof was suppressed for some reason or another (likely the fact that if Havenite involvement could be or were to be publicly/officially proved, it would be an act of war, for which Manticore would not have been prepared or able to survive, not unlike the situation with the assassination of King Roger, the current Queen Elizabeth's father).

As to whether or not it was Haven, and if so, how directly Haven was involved ... I think it is more likely that not that Haven, Havenite agents, and/or Havenite-sympathizing Manticorans, had some degree of involvement. They, in turn, may or may not have been manipulated into it by MAlign agents, but there's no way to know for sure.

I have read that short story and that is why I want to know was it an accident or was it engineered?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:47 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Dauntless wrote:given the comments to the officer who was being blackmailed into giving up the list of where adrienne would be I've always suspected negligence/selling of military parts and a very cheap/poor quality substitution.

IIRC at the time of the compensator failure and the attempted assassination of Adrienne, Haven and Manticore were on good terms, and the would-be assassins were employed by Manpower, so I retract my assertion that Haven were the instigators, but how hard would it have been for the MAlign to buy/influence/blackmail someone in Haven to substitute parts sold to Manticore?

From the Travis Long books Manticorian space industry was reliant on outside manufacturing of many ships components, was that still the case by the time frame of What Price Dreams?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

an excellent question. after call to duty they did imply that as much as possible would be built locally.

that said, what price dreams was written much earlier and this could be one of those questions that only RFC will ever be able to answer

Return to Honorverse