Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 147 guests

Medal Nominees

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Medal Nominees
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I've searched for it in the Pearls but found no oysters...

What are Haven's most prestigious medals? It seems that Tourville(IIRC) was offered something but turned it down, similar to Honor turning down the PMV. Anyone rightly recollect?

I always thought many other characters should have been given medals for extraordinary performance. Such as Shannon and her little "Oops." But just as much so for her unfloundering performance at tactical and then later for her accomplishments at Bolthole.

Are there any other characters that you deem should have been given a medal, or nominated for something or at least given the highest form of acknowledgement short of, for certain performances?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Medal Nominees
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:57 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
cthia wrote:I've searched for it in the Pearls but found no oysters...

What are Haven's most prestigious medals? It seems that Tourville(IIRC) was offered something but turned it down, similar to Honor turning down the PMV. Anyone rightly recollect?
I think you're referring to this bit where both Tourville and Giscard were offered this award:
At All Costs wrote:Theisman reached out to reclaim the case, and lifted the rather plain-looking silver medal out of it. It hung on a ribbon of simple blue cloth, and he held it up to catch the light. It was the Congressional Cross, a medal which had been abandoned a hundred and eighty T-years ago when the Legislaturalists "amended" the Constitution out of existence.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping--
cthia wrote:I've searched for it in the Pearls but found no oysters...

I think you're referring to this bit where both Tourville and Giscard were offered this award:
At All Costs wrote:Theisman reached out to reclaim the case, and lifted the rather plain-looking silver medal out of it. It hung on a ribbon of simple blue cloth, and he held it up to catch the light. It was the Congressional Cross, a medal which had been abandoned a hundred and eighty T-years ago when the Legislaturalists "amended" the Constitution out of existence.

Thanks. I busted my chops searching for that.

Let's add Honorable mention for a job well done.

I nominate, Admiral Stephania Grimm, Royal Astrogation Control Service. I know medals aren't supposed to be given out with abandon. Fine. But this sweetheart should at least have received the highest acknowledgement just shy of, let's deem it as 'courage under fire.' Lotsa fire.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:27 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
cthia wrote:I always thought many other characters should have been given medals for extraordinary performance. Such as Shannon and her little "Oops." But just as much so for her unfloundering performance at tactical and then later for her accomplishments at Bolthole.

Are there any other characters that you deem should have been given a medal, or nominated for something or at least given the highest form of acknowledgement short of, for certain performances?
Oliver Diamato. Sticking to his guns and telling the truth in spite of a whitewash job helped Foraker et. al begin to format anti-LAC doctrine, plus he stayed honorable even knowing it might cost him his life.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping--
cthia wrote:I always thought many other characters should have been given medals for extraordinary performance. Such as Shannon and her little "Oops." But just as much so for her unfloundering performance at tactical and then later for her accomplishments at Bolthole.

Oliver Diamato. Sticking to his guns and telling the truth in spite of a whitewash job helped Foraker et. al begin to format anti-LAC doctrine, plus he stayed honorable even knowing it might cost him his life.

I admit, I had to peruse the wiki for his accomplishments.

There is the Battle of Hancock. Second Battle of Solway. Raid on Zanzibar. Battle of Manticore. And the wiki says it was he who first got wind of Manty super Lacs.

Ok, I understand your nominee. There just aren't many pat-on-the-backs onscreen. Except with Honor. That's why her crew would follow her to Hell.

Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:33 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:--snipping--

SharkHunter wrote: Oliver Diamato. Sticking to his guns and telling the truth in spite of a whitewash job helped Foraker et. al begin to format anti-LAC doctrine, plus he stayed honorable even knowing it might cost him his life.

There is the Battle of Hancock. Second Battle of Solway. Raid on Zanzibar. Battle of Manticore. And the wiki says it was he who first got wind of Manty super Lacs.

Ok, I understand your nominee. There just aren't many pat-on-the-backs onscreen. Except with Honor. That's why her crew would follow her to Hell.
It's also why Obersteegen and Terekhov's crews feel likewise, and they don't tell us what chest full of medals Tremaine has built up. I'd wager he's got a bunch of medals for valor as well. Mark Sarnow likely has some for actions at First Hancock, Alice Truman, etc. Maybe at some point RFC will give us more 'back story during the stories' for the additional characters and medals earned, etc. I'd imagine that Jennifer B. (can't spell it without looking it up) in Haven got a pretty good medal even though Eighth Fleet beat her eventually. Theisman even from PN days, Yu and Judah Yanakov from Grayson, etc.
---------------------
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote: Oliver Diamato. Sticking to his guns and telling the truth in spite of a whitewash job helped Foraker et. al begin to format anti-LAC doctrine, plus he stayed honorable even knowing it might cost him his life.

SharkHunter wrote:It's also why Obersteegen and Terekhov's crews feel likewise, and they don't tell us what chest full of medals Tremaine has built up. I'd wager he's got a bunch of medals for valor as well. Mark Sarnow likely has some for actions at First Hancock, Alice Truman, etc. Maybe at some point RFC will give us more 'back story during the stories' for the additional characters and medals earned, etc. I'd imagine that Jennifer B. (can't spell it without looking it up) in Haven got a pretty good medal even though Eighth Fleet beat her eventually. Theisman even from PN days, Yu and Judah Yanakov from Grayson, etc.

For certain. I understand that RFC would be kept quite busy giving out medals in storyline if he didn't watch it, but it would be nice. I don't know why I didn't think of Truman. I'd have given her something for ordering her ship's safety interlocks removed and bringing back the cavalry in record time to help save Honor. It could be argued that Truman was the first person to save Honor. The wiki does list her as the recipient of the KCR, the Order of King Roger. Though I can't remember the particulars.

I agree, Tremaine definitely should be weighed down. But then, I think almost all of the main characters aboard Fearless during OBS should have been awarded a medal. They all performed exemplary. And I'm sure Honor would have been tickled pink.

I was looking for a medal that closely fits 'outstanding officer's performance' award. Perhaps the DSO. The Distinguished Service Order. Which Harkness also has.

The DSO to Stephania Grimm.

Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:54 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:

SharkHunter wrote:It's also why Obersteegen and Terekhov's crews feel likewise, and they don't tell us what chest full of medals Tremaine has built up. I'd wager he's got a bunch of medals for valor as well. Mark Sarnow likely has some for actions at First Hancock, Alice Truman, etc. Maybe at some point RFC will give us more 'back story during the stories' for the additional characters and medals earned, etc. I'd imagine that Jennifer B. (can't spell it without looking it up) in Haven got a pretty good medal even though Eighth Fleet beat her eventually. Theisman even from PN days, Yu and Judah Yanakov from Grayson, etc.

For certain. I understand that RFC would be kept quite busy giving out medals in storyline if he didn't watch it, but it would be nice. I don't know why I didn't think of Truman. I'd have given her something for ordering her ship's safety interlocks removed and bringing back the cavalry in record time to help save Honor. It could be argued that Truman was the first person to save Honor. The wiki does list her as the recipient of the KCR, the Order of King Roger. Though I can't remember the particulars.

I agree, Tremaine definitely should be weighed down. But then, I think almost all of the main characters aboard Fearless during OBS should have been awarded a medal. They all performed exemplary. And I'm sure Honor would have been tickled pink.

I was looking for a medal that closely fits 'outstanding officer's performance' award. Perhaps the DSO. The Distinguished Service Order. Which Harkness also has.

The DSO to Stephania Grimm.

Truman was knighted for her actions at second Hancock. On her run from Grayson to Manticore. She probably received nothing because she unnecessarily hazarded her ship. She faced a possible court martial for it, but was not.
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:03 pm

saber964
Admiral

How about CMDR Gene Usher CO HMS Hawkwing at Selker Rift he defended the convoy against a battle cruiser with an over age destroyer. Analogous to what HMS Glowworm and HMAS Jervis Bay did during WWII.
Post by jchilds   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:30 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:How about CMDR Gene Usher CO HMS Hawkwing at Selker Rift he defended the convoy against a battle cruiser with an over age destroyer. Analogous to what HMS Glowworm and HMAS Jervis Bay did during WWII.

The precedent for a potential PMV is there - Both Edward Saganami and Helen Zilwicki the Elder received one for similar actions. Also, a chastened Klaus Hauptman likely dug in and lobbied for one in an effort to square things up in his own mind.

Return to Honorverse