Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests

Medal Nominees

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Medal Nominees
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I don't recall it having happened but D'Orville and Kuzak both should have been awarded the PMV for the Battle Of Manticore. If I missed it, my apologies.

And I always thought Admiral Courvosier should have been given the PMV, posthumously, for defending Grayson with his life.

Question, Admiral Courvosier was on a diplomatic mission and not on active duty. If you are not on active duty yet still perform for your navy in the manner that he did, is he technically eligible for a medal?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:33 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
saber964 wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:...they don't tell us what chest full of medals Tremaine has built up. I'd wager he's got a bunch of medals for valor as well. ...

For certain. I understand that RFC would be kept quite busy giving out medals in storyline if he didn't watch it, but it would be nice. I don't know why I didn't think of Truman. I'd have given her something for ordering her ship's safety interlocks removed and bringing back the cavalry in record time to help save Honor. It could be argued that Truman was the first person to save Honor. The wiki does list her as the recipient of the KCR, the Order of King Roger. Though I can't remember the particulars.

I agree, Tremaine definitely should be weighed down. But then, I think almost all of the main characters aboard Fearless during OBS should have been awarded a medal. They all performed exemplary. And I'm sure Honor would have been tickled pink.

I was looking for a medal that closely fits 'outstanding officer's performance' award. Perhaps the DSO. The Distinguished Service Order. Which Harkness also has.
I'd hazard a guess that by no Tremaine probably also has the Manticoran Cross, given that he was part of Honor's crew in (by abbreviations) {OBS, HotQ, HoE, EoH, then a part of the "winning team" in EoH,AoV, WoH Marsh, survived WWH, won at spindle in MoH } 10 actions? I'd say he's got all of the hardware he wants EXCEPT the PMV which I doubt he's trying to add.[/quote]
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:15 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:I don't recall it having happened but D'Orville and Kuzak both should have been awarded the PMV for the Battle Of Manticore. If I missed it, my apologies.

And I always thought Admiral Courvosier should have been given the PMV, posthumously, for defending Grayson with his life.

Question, Admiral Courvosier was on a diplomatic mission and not on active duty. If you are not on active duty yet still perform for your navy in the manner that he did, is he technically eligible for a medal?

More than likely Grayson awarded a small boatload of decorations to both Courvosier and Yanakov. Like what happened to Harrington. Also IIRC Capirilli mused that Honor should have after Hancock and fourth Yeltsin.
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:46 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

saber964 wrote:Truman was knighted for her actions at second Hancock. On her run from Grayson to Manticore. She probably received nothing because she unnecessarily hazarded her ship. She faced a possible court martial for it, but was not.

Hazarded, definitely. Unnecessarily... that's a judgement call. Had she lost her ship, or made it to Manticore but too late for reinforcements to get to Yeltsin before Masada conquered the system, the judgement might well have been different. As it was, she took a calculated risk which resulted in the survival of HMS Fearless, not to mention ensuring that any survivors from Fearless and Troubadour weren't treated the way Madrigal's survivors were. And there's the small matter of securing the status of a Crown ally and arguably preventing the outbreak of open war with the PRH for an extra two years, buying time for the rollout of the new missile pods and the completion of Hancock Station, among other things.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Whether possible or no, DSO for Thomas Bachfisch.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:14 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dafmeister wrote:
saber964 wrote:Truman was knighted for her actions at second Hancock. On her run from Grayson to Manticore. She probably received nothing because she unnecessarily hazarded her ship. She faced a possible court martial for it, but was not.

Hazarded, definitely. Unnecessarily... that's a judgement call. Had she lost her ship, or made it to Manticore but too late for reinforcements to get to Yeltsin before Masada conquered the system, the judgement might well have been different. As it was, she took a calculated risk which resulted in the survival of HMS Fearless, not to mention ensuring that any survivors from Fearless and Troubadour weren't treated the way Madrigal's survivors were. And there's the small matter of securing the status of a Crown ally and arguably preventing the outbreak of open war with the PRH for an extra two years, buying time for the rollout of the new missile pods and the completion of Hancock Station, among other things.

I would tend to agree. History is replete with examples. In many cases, the person hastening back to give news or intelligence updates may have run, ridden a horse, or used some other "individual" conveyance, but the principle is the same. Some of them died, either trying or after successfully giving the message. To get from Yeltsin to Manticore she needed a ship, and a ship has a crew to run it. It's not an individual conveyance. No doubt if there was some small craft available that could make the journey at high enough speed to be useful, she would have used it.

There have even been historical examples of battles against overwhelming odds, where the intent was not necessarily to win and live though, but just to inflict enough damage on the foe to make him pause or change plans. Dolittle's firebombing of Japan in WWII is an example; due to detection and thus a required early takeoff, he *knew* the planes wouldn't have enough fuel to reach unoccupied China. But they went anyway.

Taking a risk is part of military life and career. As noted, you just try to ensure it's reasonable given the alternatives.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."

Return to Honorverse