Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

The Maya Crisis...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Maya Crisis...
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:
Armed Neo-Bob wrote:Funding:
I think the League can raise funds the same way our government does-with Treasury notes and bonds, until they recover from the shortfall. They can also look into "discretionary funds" of their own, raised from their transtellar "friends". As long as they can convince people they will survive the crisis, they can raise funds without taxes.
If it were easy for the League to borrow large amounts of money, it would not have any short-term financial problems (it might have long-term financial problems, but you can worry about those later if you still exist). Ergo, either it cannot or it's very difficult.

They didn't have any trouble floating a bond for Erewhon in TOF. And wanted to float more, directly for Erewhon instead of Maya.

OTOH, we aren't trying to make up the same degree of shortfall as Agata.

Regards,

Rob
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

I think the League can raise funds the same way our government does-with Treasury notes and bonds, until they recover from the shortfall. They can also look into "discretionary funds" of their own, raised from their transtellar "friends". As long as they can convince people they will survive the crisis, they can raise funds without taxes.

I don't believe the League can issue Treasury notes. The League is prohibited from borrowing money like that, and they are not permitted to levy direct taxes. Their sources of revenue are very strictly limited by the Constitution. According to RFC, the only sources of funds for the Solarian League government are: "import duties, customs fees, direct assessments for naval spending, etc., plus additional voluntary contributions." Extorting money from the transstellars is possible, of course.
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/200/1
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:00 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:You know, Jeff, looking back over your post some, I think my understanding of Barregos' position may differ from your own. I see Barregos as someone sent to Maya as OFS commissioner (like Verrochio) who allowed the "legitimate local regimes" to actually be legitimate regimes, enforced regulations every other OFS person was willing to ignore, organized a much more politically integrated and industrialized sector, and THEN was popularly elected "sector governor" in ADDITION to being OFS commissioner. In other words, he actually is both the OFS Stooge, and their local "legitimate" regime. OFS could remove him from office, but he would still be there as local governor, and he knows too much to be cut loose

At least, that was my reading of why he was "unassailable", as Verrochio put it. Also, why he is "Governor" instead of Commissioner, like Verrochio, or that fellow Floyd in Genovese, who sent Pyun to Zunker. They not only did not organize their sectors into multi-system polities, but couldn't have gotten elected to dogcatcher.

The Maya Sector is a bit unusual for the League - it organized as a multi-system semi-polity when it saw OFS coming, and negotiated entry into the League under OFS under terms a whole lot better than other protectorates. That may be why he's a governor instead of a commissioner.

Apparently he started out as OFS's nominee for the position without popular support; gathered that popular support; and was re-elected governor later despite OFS opposition.
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:21 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

SWM wrote:I don't believe the League can issue Treasury notes. The League is prohibited from borrowing money like that, and they are not permitted to levy direct taxes. Their sources of revenue are very strictly limited by the Constitution. According to RFC, the only sources of funds for the Solarian League government are: "import duties, customs fees, direct assessments for naval spending, etc., plus additional voluntary contributions." Extorting money from the transstellars is possible, of course.

Lots of luck getting cash out of the transtellars - when someone suggests that where they can hear it, they'll be bailing on the League so fast it'll look like a new drive type.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:

I don't believe the League can issue Treasury notes. The League is prohibited from borrowing money like that, and they are not permitted to levy direct taxes. Their sources of revenue are very strictly limited by the Constitution. According to RFC, the only sources of funds for the Solarian League government are: "import duties, customs fees, direct assessments for naval spending, etc., plus additional voluntary contributions." Extorting money from the transstellars is possible, of course.

I don't know about T-notes, but they were issuing bonds for Barregos, and wanted to issue more for Erewhon--so long as they got to do the bookkeeping.

Rob
Post by munroburton   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 pm

munroburton
Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
SWM wrote:I don't believe the League can issue Treasury notes. The League is prohibited from borrowing money like that, and they are not permitted to levy direct taxes. Their sources of revenue are very strictly limited by the Constitution. According to RFC, the only sources of funds for the Solarian League government are: "import duties, customs fees, direct assessments for naval spending, etc., plus additional voluntary contributions." Extorting money from the transstellars is possible, of course.

Lots of luck getting cash out of the transtellars - when someone suggests that where they can hear it, they'll be bailing on the League so fast it'll look like a new drive type.

It's called the costs of doing business. With a defeated or capitulated League, the transtellars can no longer exploit the Verge at their leisure.

Don't want to pay taxes? Ok, no more OFS favours, no more FF backup and no more looming BF to keep the neobarbs in line for your corporation's bottom line. Kiss that gravy train goodbye.

I figure some of them will agree, if grudingly. Others with access to their own muscle(in-house security forces or mercenaries) or influence over a powerful SDF and a potential secessionist may do otherwise.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

::a Naughty Moose responds to a thesis::
Transtellars withhold Sollie taxes?
Of course not! Perish the thought!!

The Transtellars will pay every credit of Sollie taxes
that their accountants say that they owe.

Naughty Moose
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
JeffEngel wrote:Lots of luck getting cash out of the transtellars - when someone suggests that where they can hear it, they'll be bailing on the League so fast it'll look like a new drive type.

It's called the costs of doing business. With a defeated or capitulated League, the transtellars can no longer exploit the Verge at their leisure.

Don't want to pay taxes? Ok, no more OFS favours, no more FF backup and no more looming BF to keep the neobarbs in line for your corporation's bottom line. Kiss that gravy train goodbye.

I figure some of them will agree, if grudingly. Others with access to their own muscle(in-house security forces or mercenaries) or influence over a powerful SDF and a potential secessionist may do otherwise.

Oh, I agree as far as that goes. I do think that any of them that do agree will do it grudgingly, and exactly as long as it takes them to get the muscle to do otherwise. They've had OFS and FF personnel in their pockets for so long, they can convert them to outright mercenaries. Verge systems they own they can take over outright if they get that muscle, and/or make arrangements to keep others from muscling them out.

No one is loyal to the League, transtellars least of all. If the price of doing business goes up - and if they start to lose confidence in BF's ability to cow the Verge anyway, the "service" the League does them - they'll be entirely open to any option available, including making some sort of peace with Manticore or secessionists and setting up a position as "neutrals" neither side wants to push in bed with the other.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:Oh, I agree as far as that goes. I do think that any of them that do agree will do it grudgingly, and exactly as long as it takes them to get the muscle to do otherwise. They've had OFS and FF personnel in their pockets for so long, they can convert them to outright mercenaries. Verge systems they own they can take over outright if they get that muscle, and/or make arrangements to keep others from muscling them out.

No one is loyal to the League, transtellars least of all. If the price of doing business goes up - and if they start to lose confidence in BF's ability to cow the Verge anyway, the "service" the League does them - they'll be entirely open to any option available, including making some sort of peace with Manticore or secessionists and setting up a position as "neutrals" neither side wants to push in bed with the other.

The transstellars are not HQ in the verge. That's a tiny little piece of most of them. Their leadership and stockholders live in the core.
Post by Relax   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:The transstellars are not HQ in the verge. That's a tiny little piece of most of them. Their leadership and stockholders live in the core.

Yup, just like today, with many businesses manufacturing facilities in 2nd and 3rd world nations, if war ever breaks out such businesses vanish without a trace as all of those PHYSICAL assets get nationalized and the "leadership" and stockholders wealth vanishes. Ah, short sighted greedy people... they never change and never learn and this world and universe is full of them.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse