Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 147 guests

earth year

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
earth year
Post by hairbear541   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:44 pm

hairbear541
Ensign

to anyone who knows what was the earth year was when the solarian fleet got creamed in manticorian space .
Re: earth year
Post by JeffEngel   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:05 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

hairbear541 wrote:to anyone who knows what was the earth year was when the solarian fleet got creamed in manticorian space .

Year 1 Post Diaspora began in 2103 AD. (September 30 - I'm going to assume though that they make out 2103 as a whole as 1 PD. Correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong.) Both are measured in t-years, so, if you have Second Manticore ("Filareta's Folly") in mind, that would be June 1922 PD or 4024 AD.
Post by hairbear541   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:14 pm

hairbear541
Ensign

thanks jeff , you understood my question rightly enough and the year is important to end an argument . thanks again
Post by hairbear541   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:36 pm

hairbear541
Ensign

jeff have you ever had one of those annoying argumentative people you just like to knock in the head ,now they are arguing about temporal displacement going through a worm hole junction . I don't think RFC has ever said anything about such . so just for arguments sake , what would 2570 AD be in PD years .
Post by JeffEngel   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

hairbear541 wrote:jeff have you ever had one of those annoying argumentative people you just like to knock in the head ,now they are arguing about temporal displacement going through a worm hole junction . I don't think RFC has ever said anything about such . so just for arguments sake , what would 2570 AD be in PD years .

There've been references to "a period of time no one had quite measured" for wormhole transits, but when you can send something right back the other way when the first comes out, and measure the time it takes between the first leaving and the second returning... at any rate, wormhole transit times are pretty trivial.

Subtract 2102 years, so 2570 AD would be 468 PD.
Post by Grashtel   » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:24 am

Grashtel
Captain of the List

hairbear541 wrote:jeff have you ever had one of those annoying argumentative people you just like to knock in the head ,now they are arguing about temporal displacement going through a worm hole junction . I don't think RFC has ever said anything about such . so just for arguments sake , what would 2570 AD be in PD years .

In addition to Jeff's point wormholes are not the only method of interstellar travel in the Honorverse, if they produced significant temporal displacement that would be noticed relative to hyper or sublight travel and would have been made note of, and would make wormholes considerably less valuable
Post by BobfromSydney   » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

Grashtel wrote:In addition to Jeff's point wormholes are not the only method of interstellar travel in the Honorverse, if they produced significant temporal displacement that would be noticed relative to hyper or sublight travel and would have been made note of, and would make wormholes considerably less valuable

Adding a time machine function to a teleporter makes it less valuable?

Time travel means you'd be able to take the technology of the future and transport it to the past. You would also be able to 'anticipate' future developments ('tomorrow's newspaper') and plan things accordingly. It would greatly expand markets and the rate of development etc. etc.

The only downside is that the laws of physics would need a hug and referral to counselling.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:14 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

BobfromSydney wrote:
Grashtel wrote:In addition to Jeff's point wormholes are not the only method of interstellar travel in the Honorverse, if they produced significant temporal displacement that would be noticed relative to hyper or sublight travel and would have been made note of, and would make wormholes considerably less valuable

Adding a time machine function to a teleporter makes it less valuable?

Time travel means you'd be able to take the technology of the future and transport it to the past. You would also be able to 'anticipate' future developments ('tomorrow's newspaper') and plan things accordingly. It would greatly expand markets and the rate of development etc. etc.

The only downside is that the laws of physics would need a hug and referral to counselling.

I believe Grashtel was talking about whether there was a forward displacement in time during wormhole transit, not backward. He was saying that if the wormhole transit caused the ship to jump forward in time by days or weeks, then it would provide less of an advantage over ordinary hyper travel, and thus be less valuable than it is currently.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by BobfromSydney   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:51 am

BobfromSydney
Commander

That would only be an issue if it was 'forward' both ways. So that any ship entering the wormhole experiences a notable case of cosmic 'lag' before re-emerging.

Of course such a thing would make military coordination and reinforcement via the wormhole junction far less effective as well.

White Haven's defence of Basilisk terminus or 3rd and 8th fleet's response to BoM I would indicate there is no significant delay.
Post by Dafmeister   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:24 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Something to remember is that Honorverse 'wormholes' aren't wormholes as normally described, direct connections between one point in space-time and another. They're grav waves several orders of magnitude more powerful than anythigng you'd run into traversing hyperspace, so powerful in fact that they punch through into n-space. That's why you need Warshawski sails and a hyper generator to use one, rather than just flying in one end and out the other.

Return to Honorverse