Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 172 guests

earth year

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: earth year
Post by The E   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:05 am

The E
Admiral

hairbear541 wrote:jeff have you ever had one of those annoying argumentative people you just like to knock in the head ,now they are arguing about temporal displacement going through a worm hole junction . I don't think RFC has ever said anything about such . so just for arguments sake , what would 2570 AD be in PD years .

You can simply quote the books at them. Specifically, 8th Fleet's transit to Basilisk in Echoes of Honor. That entire scene, as well as similar scenes in At All Costs, would not work if wormhole transits took any appreciable amount of time.
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:05 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

On Basilisk Station, Echos of Honor, and War of Honor all have tidbits of "junction-travelling war fleets". And Honor Among Enemies has the bits with the merchant cruiser Wayfarer transiting.

Honor Among Enemies, Chapter 9 wrote:Tschu threw power to the generator at precisely the right instant, and HMS Wayfarer vanished. For a fleeting instant no chronometer or human sense could measure, she simply ceased to exist, and then, suddenly, she was no longer in Manticore but seven hundred light-minutes from the F9 furnace known as Gregor-A, one hundred and eighty light-years distant from Manticore in Einsteinian space. -snipped the rest-

Ships that use a wormhole in honorverse, is effectively instanteous translocation, excepting the need to change from wedge to sails, enter hyper, and change back from sails back to wedge. In addition to the need to 'slowly' accelerate on both entry and exit, call it between 3 and 15 minutes on average to completely use a terminus, in peace time.

In Laocoon-II, we saw some destroyers popping through a terminus with surprise, and accelerating at 500+ gravities, when the 'normal' maximum speed is like 20-ish. That's in another book, which I can't recall but I should be getting close to, on my latest cycle through the books. AAC perhaps?
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:52 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Somtaaw wrote:On Basilisk Station, Echos of Honor, and War of Honor all have tidbits of "junction-travelling war fleets". And Honor Among Enemies has the bits with the merchant cruiser Wayfarer transiting.

Honor Among Enemies, Chapter 9 wrote:Tschu threw power to the generator at precisely the right instant, and HMS Wayfarer vanished. For a fleeting instant no chronometer or human sense could measure, she simply ceased to exist, and then, suddenly, she was no longer in Manticore but seven hundred light-minutes from the F9 furnace known as Gregor-A, one hundred and eighty light-years distant from Manticore in Einsteinian space. -snipped the rest-

Ships that use a wormhole in honorverse, is effectively instanteous translocation, excepting the need to change from wedge to sails, enter hyper, and change back from sails back to wedge. In addition to the need to 'slowly' accelerate on both entry and exit, call it between 3 and 15 minutes on average to completely use a terminus, in peace time.

In Laocoon-II, we saw some destroyers popping through a terminus with surprise, and accelerating at 500+ gravities, when the 'normal' maximum speed is like 20-ish. That's in another book, which I can't recall but I should be getting close to, on my latest cycle through the books. AAC perhaps?

Probably either ART or SoF - the activation of Case Lacoon I isn't ordered until MoH (just re-read it a couple of days ago) and I don't think Lacoon II is activated until word arrives that Raging Justice has been launched, a maybe not until after Second Manticore.

Return to Honorverse