Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Defense of Lynx, the system

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Defense of Lynx, the system
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:01 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

Is there any word on what is defending it? It's technically part of the Old Star Kingdom, but it's four light years off from the "Lynx" terminus, so even the terminus picket is far out of position to defend it (although it's not a bad source of reinforcement in case you see trouble coming). But it's not part of the Talbott Quadrant either - technically - and astrographically, it's distinctly apart from the Talbott systems: none of the others are that distance from one another, and you add a significant chunk of volume to an already large region if you extend it to include Lynx.

Granted, always, not every detail can be included, so on that basis, if we have no textev for what's guarding it or how responsibility for it is divvied up, what do we speculate?
Re: Defense of Lynx, the system
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:08 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

I think it'd be covered by the same force that covers Matapan, the other planetless wormhole.

There's a bit of reference to it in House of Steel, and that the Conservatives and Liberals couldn't muster up enough resistance to annexing planetless star systems.

So it's going to be loosely similar to Basilisk, forts and maybe a small-ish picket of light ships. Couple light cruisers, maybe a heavy cruiser 'flagship'. Just enough to keep an eye on the system, and if something big exited Hyper, to nip on back through the junction and start screaming.
Post by Dafmeister   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:16 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

I think Jeff's talking about the Lynx system, which is inhabited, not the 'Lynx' terminus which is in an uninhabited M-type system a few light years away from Lynx.
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:22 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:I think Jeff's talking about the Lynx system, which is inhabited, not the 'Lynx' terminus which is in an uninhabited M-type system a few light years away from Lynx.

Indeed, yes.

If I had to guess, I'd suppose it's intended to have, or has, a defense much like Talbott Quadrant systems: a decent LAC force, some system defense pods, and possibly a DD division for policing the hyperlimit, support of the LAC's, harrying a force they can't stop, and crying for help - said help coming from Talbott Station and/or the terminus picket.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:24 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:I think it'd be covered by the same force that covers Matapan, the other planetless wormhole.

There's a bit of reference to it in House of Steel, and that the Conservatives and Liberals couldn't muster up enough resistance to annexing planetless star systems.

So it's going to be loosely similar to Basilisk, forts and maybe a small-ish picket of light ships. Couple light cruisers, maybe a heavy cruiser 'flagship'. Just enough to keep an eye on the system, and if something big exited Hyper, to nip on back through the junction and start screaming.

Honestly, I've never seen anything mentioned, either in Print or on the Bar/Forum what is really there and what kind of investment has taken place in the Lynx system itself. What Somtaaw said is probably right, with the forts there built as part of the Lynx junction project, and a small cruiser level detachment and multiple (4+) LAC wings. Since they were brought in under High Ridge, I can see another mini-Hesparateus built there, like at Basilisk, but that is only conjecture.

The fact that:

1) They were never mentioned in the Reinforcements at Manticore list by RFC
2)They and Basilisk were never mentioned in the rebuilding Manticore threads by RFC

Would imply that they have no significant mobile defenses nor any significant shipbuilding capability. This is not to say none, but it was probably not at a tech capable of building RMN level hardware, and not very large. Like Basilisk and San Martin, any shipbuilding capabilities there are probably busy keeping the existing fleet (and Grayson's) operational, as well as the Merchant Marine.

But as I said this is all just conjecture from the greater story and specifically the lack of data where it SHOULD be mentioned - NOT any specific input from RFC on the topic - So draw your own conclusions.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Ah, well if we're talking the actual Lynx system, and not the terminus, then yeah it's likely going to follow the rest of Talbott.

Primarily SD missile pods, and LAC swarms. A handful of warships capable of hyper, and likely courier boats which would not be stationed at most other systems with a few exceptions. Other systems with the courier boats would likely include wherever the ammunition and resupply freighters are held.

There's no need for forts anywhere except physically at the terminus itself. San Martin is the only known planet that got forts to protect the planet, in addition to the local terminus and a full fleet on top of that. Even Manticore only has the forts around the MWJ, and relies on Home Fleet and SysDef pods for protection.
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:56 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

As was said above, Lynx is the 'mystery planet', a member of the "Old Star Kingdom" along with San Martin, but we know hardly anything about it.

I would think, as part of the SKM, and the first of the Sector planets to join (quite enthusiastically, IIRC), that it has had considerable development and growth in the past several years. I concur, it doesn't build ships or major systems, but it is probably further integrated into the Manticorian system than most of the Talbott Worlds.

I would think that a SD or at least a BC Squadron is based there, perhaps rotated every 6-12 months with other forces from Home Fleet, since they are less than a day's hyper trip away from the wormhole, so ample reinforement is nearby.

Hmmm...if I was the SLN and I wanted to hit Manticore at it's weakest spot....Hmmmmm
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:17 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

Hutch wrote:Hmmm...if I was the SLN and I wanted to hit Manticore at it's weakest spot....Hmmmmm

Indeed, yes. It's the most vulnerable part of the Old Star Kingdom and doesn't likely have the defenses Spindle does. Then again, it still probably has more defenses than they can handle short of investing (and losing) far more wallers than it merits.

The system's tech base at the time of the discovery of the Lynx terminus is described in a pearl by RFC as comparable to pre-Alliance Grayson. It's only been a handful of years, so that's probably only in the middle process of changing, and it's unlikely that military infrastructure was a priority for Lynx before then (they had no Masada or Haven; I doubt Monica was looking at it; and fighting OFS for a Verge system is like fighting old age) and since then, it's been both too exposed, too far from threats, and too near Manticore to merit the support systems built in (e.g.) Grendelsbane, Marsh, or Manticoran Silesia.

Defensively and administratively, it sticks out for being too close to the Quadrant, the Lynx terminus, and Manticore to really demand a fully independent defense, but still too far from each of them to rely on them for effective immediate coverage.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:50 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote: <snip>
I doubt Monica was looking at it;
<snip>

There's the telling statement. If there was any specific buildup of construction or mobile hardware at Lynx (system), it would have been mentioned, or at least considered by Monica, OFS and Manpower when planning the wormhole op.

It would appear to be an easy grab to get RMN hardware (If any was there) and a thorn immediately in your side if there was a significant amount of firepower there. It would be a perfect assault base for any in-quadrant forces which would be used to try to retake the terminus, so any planner would attempt to neutralize it.

Yet it was never brought up. So I doubt any forts or a mini-heasphaetus was constructed there. The LAC basing, probably; the small cruiser level force, yes; but nothing bigger, Or Monica would have had to plan to deal with it - because let's face it, a 2nd SD or BC Squadron in quadrant with RMN pods would have allowed the RMN to easily clear the wormhole BEFORE the SLN could react, especially if it was stationed at Lynx - and no matter how manpower spun it, Monica's admirals weren't dumb enough not to do a thorough threat assessment of their own for an op that big.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
JeffEngel wrote: <snip>
I doubt Monica was looking at it;
<snip>

There's the telling statement. If there was any specific buildup of construction or mobile hardware at Lynx (system), it would have been mentioned, or at least considered by Monica, OFS and Manpower when planning the wormhole op.

It would appear to be an easy grab to get RMN hardware (If any was there) and a thorn immediately in your side if there was a significant amount of firepower there. It would be a perfect assault base for any in-quadrant forces which would be used to try to retake the terminus, so any planner would attempt to neutralize it.

Yet it was never brought up. So I doubt any forts or a mini-heasphaetus was constructed there. The LAC basing, probably; the small cruiser level force, yes; but nothing bigger, Or Monica would have had to plan to deal with it - because let's face it, a 2nd SD or BC Squadron in quadrant with RMN pods would have allowed the RMN to easily clear the wormhole BEFORE the SLN could react, especially if it was stationed at Lynx - and no matter how manpower spun it, Monica's admirals weren't dumb enough not to do a thorough threat assessment of their own for an op that big.

Well - they may not have had the intelligence on a system that wasn't that close to them, at all prominent, or directly and immediately a part of the operation. And scouting it would have been a dangerous hint to offer Manticore about their intentions.

All that said, I agree - the absence of mention can be read as implicitly meaning that the system had nothing confirmed that would significantly bear on the operation, and nothing suspected with enough confidence or of enough strength to matter.

It does bring up another notion though - Hyper-capable defenses for Lynx could themselves serve as a small reserve for the terminus or for the Quadrant, albeit, again, not one that is immediately available. At worst, a destroyer or light cruiser there would be able, fairly quickly, to monitor or harass an enemy force that had seized the terminus.

Return to Honorverse