Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], markusschaber and 144 guests

More "King of the mountain" fun

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
More "King of the mountain" fun
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:56 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Sadly in our initial go round, Palane outpointed HHA for the win, though they were both smiling like tree cats at the end of the bout. Nimitz and Fritz both thought that the two of them were certifiably insane for sparring to begin with, of course. So many people enjoyed the HD that they decided to do something similar for next year's Manticoran games, honor of the Queen's Navy at stake and all that....

Thandi vs. Tomas Ramirez, [Tomas trained by sneaky Iris]...

...and go...
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Re: More "King of the mountain" fun
Post by Somtaaw   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Oh wow, that's a nice match up. I'm going to go with Thandi again, because there's just so little data on little Tomacito.

We don't know if he's got any genie, and just hid it. As Allison explained to Honor, many genies who got tinkered intelligence would usually get a boost in one area, but a loss in another. But they'd use the gained intelligence to compensate for a net zero shift, etc.

We also have exactly zero information on how well trained Tomas is, in the art of hand to hand. We've never seen him having to do it, but we do know he's not well trained in 'antique' firearms.

So I think Thandi's doubled down, and at least in any form of melee sparring, she has no true equal. Assuming of course, that she wasn't put on starvation rations before put onto the mats anyways.
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:25 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Oh wow, that's a nice match up. I'm going to go with Thandi again, because there's just so little data on little Tomacito.

We don't know if he's got any genie, and just hid it. As Allison explained to Honor, many genies who got tinkered intelligence would usually get a boost in one area, but a loss in another. But they'd use the gained intelligence to compensate for a net zero shift, etc.

We also have exactly zero information on how well trained Tomas is, in the art of hand to hand. We've never seen him having to do it, but we do know he's not well trained in 'antique' firearms.

So I think Thandi's doubled down, and at least in any form of melee sparring, she has no true equal. Assuming of course, that she wasn't put on starvation rations before put onto the mats anyways.
Just for fun, I'll take that bet because he likely has weight and maybe reach. In Field of Dishonor, worrying about Denver Summervales's dueling speed, Tomas comments that Honor is almost as quick as he is. Plus the Marines seem to commonly spar using the coup (Gunny Hallowell in Honor Among Enemies).

So he might be a good sparring match for our favorite tigress. Bet she'd have to work pretty dang hard to get a win, anyway.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:43 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Trevors star is meant to be super heavy which should give an advantage is overall strength and speed and at lesat basic competence in some form of martial arts will no doubt be expected.

still i'd give Thandi the edge
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:37 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:Trevors star is meant to be super heavy which should give an advantage is overall strength and speed and at lesat basic competence in some form of martial arts will no doubt be expected.

Agreed. Also, I don't think any San Martino native is not going to have heavy grav modifications in his or her ancestry. It's just too darn heavy there.
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

in one of the post-Echoes books, there's a reference to
even with heavy grav worlder modifications, natives of San Martin can't live at sea level, so they live on mountain tops

Luckily most of San Martin is mountainous, but the escapees from Hell which is only 0.94 gravity were "stored" on San Martin temporarily. San Martin being a whopping 2.7 gravity planet, and the Hell survivors noted as "would be uncomfortable, but they could survive and breath fresh air on a free planet"

So while it's probable that San Martin natives have heavy grav worlder modifications, they're like Sphinxians, probable does not equate to guaranteed. Whereas Thandi, and I believe every person from Mfecane is a genie for sure, though I might be wrong (have to recheck those books).

That's why I pointed out the lack of data making this such a tricky question. And you're right Shark, there is some reference to Honor being almost as fast as Tomas, so we can almost assume he is trained in coup from that. But still a pretty big dearth in data for one of Honor's "family" going all the way back to Basilisk.

Still, I believe as of right now, for hand-to-hand in the Honorverse, Thandi now holds the crown of known resident badass.

But I figure there's almost 100% guaranteed to be a MAlign agent thats going to be even scarier. Someone who started with the basic Mfecane genes, and then MAlign scientists went and and experimented with still higher strength and faster reflexes. Not a full up line, even a Gamma, perhaps closer to a slave experiment, but it'll turn up as a counter to Thandi and give her a run for her money.
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:45 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Tomas is a bit older and has had a more sedenary life lately (according to HoS, he is a Major General in the RMMC and Chief of Staff to the Commandant of the Corps).

If you want a younger, more 'active' San Martin to give Thandi a match, may I recommend Mateo Gutierrez, a San Martin emigree to Manticore who not only is younger and fitter, but is an Armsman, which will keep him on his toes, and who is close friends with another young woman who was trained by a Master of Martial Arts.

Hmmm....I wonder if Anton has had any sparring sessions with Thandi...or how Master Tye would do against some of these...large..persons...just for future thought.
Last edited by Hutch on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:06 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

isn't master tye known as one of he foremost experts in martial arts in the entire league?

while i'm sure a lot of things will go however the mandarin's/parasites with money say I see them having problems influencing a major martial arts tournament given that most high experts tend to follow a code resembling Bushido or a modern spin off
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:28 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Dauntless wrote:Trevors star is meant to be super heavy which should give an advantage is overall strength and speed and at lesat basic competence in some form of martial arts will no doubt be expected.

The planet Thandi is from is also heavy gravity and the settlers were modded to live there.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 pm

saber964
Admiral

Hutch wrote:Tomas is a bit older and has had a more sedenary life lately (according to HoS, he is a Major General in the RMMC and Chief of Staff to the Commandant of the Corps).

Don't bet on it. If you go to the RW Pentagon every morning you will see members of the USMC including the Commandant out doing PT. They have to pass the PT requirements every three months(most pass it monthly), and something like 75% will max out the standard's. My brother who was stationed nearby in the Army, witnessed the entire Pentagon USMC contingent out for their 3 mile run, with the Commandant calling cadence and the CSMMC pulling drag.

Return to Honorverse