Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 173 guests

Scotty's New commands

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Scotty's New commands
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Scotty and his SAG-C division is going to be pretty busy for the next couple of years visiting Protectorates and other Verge planets who are rebelling (either under the auspices of the MAlignment or simply taking advantage of the situation) while also helping to defend the Talbott Sector from any SL raiders.

If he handles those situations that as well as I suspect, I can see him making Commodore on his return to Manticore and being given a Division of CLAC's...after all, that is his area of expertise.

The rest depends on how the remainder of the saga goes...but if we can peek 30+ years into the future, I can see Vice Admirals Carson Clinkscales and Scotty Tremaine cooperating on taking down whatever form the MAlignment is taking at that time...

IMHO as always...YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SWM   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:47 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:What I'd REALLY like out of this story line would be the "next gen" cruiser designs we're all dying to see.

The "next gen" cruiser designs we've been talking about (and David has talked about in the past) will not appear during this war. They are being designed for the post-war period.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:What I'd REALLY like out of this story line would be the "next gen" cruiser designs we're all dying to see.

The "next gen" cruiser designs we've been talking about (and David has talked about in the past) will not appear during this war. They are being designed for the post-war period.
Just kidding, but I'd almost mark this "spoiler alert!", as it means that the MAlign must die along with the SLN in fairly short order... though I must 'fess up to suspecting what most of us have decided already:

Plot wise: there's too many pissed off people with great big hammers for the current galactic order or the current black hats to survive very long. Stocking up on popcorn and reading time in advance of the big finish, we are.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Erls   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Likely route for Scotty following this current command:

With the Sollies falling apart and things happening quickly, I see him in line for quick promotions as he'll do great in his current command:

- Promotion to Commodore and given a division of SDs under Harrington in the Grand Fleet.
- Promotion to Rear Admiral and his own squadron of BCs, likely assigned to (guessing here) the brand new "Erewhon" command, composed of 40 of the Wall, 2 CLAC squadrons, 2 BC squadrons, 2 CA squadrons, and 3 DD squadrons. Mission of protecting Torch, Erewhon, and providing support to the Maya Sector as needed and watching that flank of the alliance. It would provide a chance to further integrate Torch into the mainline Honorverse as well as give Scotty a more prominent role in future books in the Torch line.
- After Erewhon station, time spent at Saganami Island for 1-2 years as an Advanced Tactical Officer OR time spent at Bolthole helping Foraker and Sonja from the "shooters" side of things.
- His own command, likely in an important but not major posting such as Lynx.
- Promoted to full admiral and rotated into major fleet command.
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:56 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Actually.... if we're not going to send Mr. Tremaine back to teach at Sag Island.... I think they'll frock him to Commodore with a mixed squadron of a CLAC, SAG-C's and Rolands plus an ammo ship, and make him the "you really don't want to mess with us" smack-down king, the first time the SLN manages to kill RMN ships out there in Laccoon II land.

Something along the lines of "go after our ships, will you?" Buh bye nearest fleet base and accompanying system infrastructure a la the Tourville treatment at Zanzibar.

That still leaves the terrible trio of Zavala, Kaplan, and Hearns to take out the FF in breakaway Verge systems, and Terekhov & Co to go after the bigger sector commands centers, smack the Gendarmarie support system, etc.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:57 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Actually.... if we're not going to send Mr. Tremaine back to teach at Sag Island.... I think they'll frock him to Commodore with a mixed squadron of a CLAC, SAG-C's and Rolands plus an ammo ship, and make him the "you really don't want to mess with us" smack-down king, the first time the SLN manages to kill RMN ships out there in Laccoon II land.

Something along the lines of "go after our ships, will you?" Buh bye nearest fleet base and accompanying system infrastructure a la the Tourville treatment at Zanzibar.

Commodore Scotty might be given a task group under Tourville, since they're both hard charging cowboy types. A finishing school to the lessons he has already learned from Honor, with extra attention taken to those fine details of planning raids that Tourville does so well. Would put him in good standing if Scotty returns to commanding CLAC squadron(s).
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:44 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
SWM wrote:The "next gen" cruiser designs we've been talking about (and David has talked about in the past) will not appear during this war. They are being designed for the post-war period.
Just kidding, but I'd almost mark this "spoiler alert!", as it means that the MAlign must die along with the SLN in fairly short order... though I must 'fess up to suspecting what most of us have decided already:

Plot wise: there's too many pissed off people with great big hammers for the current galactic order or the current black hats to survive very long. Stocking up on popcorn and reading time in advance of the big finish, we are.

I don't see why you think any of that. It certainly does not tell us anything about what happens to the MAlign or the SLN. All I'm saying is that David has talked about what Manticoran planners are thinking about for the future, when the war is over, technology has settled, and almost everyone has DDM and FTL technology. That's what the "next gen cruiser" discussion has been about, and it doesn't tell us anything about the results of the current war.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:00 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

no-one else want to add their penny's worth?
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Actually.... if we're not going to send Mr. Tremaine back to teach at Sag Island.... I think they'll frock him to Commodore with a mixed squadron of a CLAC, SAG-C's and Rolands plus an ammo ship, and make him the "you really don't want to mess with us" smack-down king, the first time the SLN manages to kill RMN ships out there in Laccoon II land.

Commodore Scotty might be given a task group under Tourville, since they're both hard charging cowboy types. A finishing school to the lessons he has already learned from Honor, with extra attention taken to those fine details of planning raids that Tourville does so well. Would put him in good standing if Scotty returns to commanding CLAC squadron(s).

Scotty aka he trained by Honor, Harmon, etc. with a large chip on his capable shoulders, with augmented "raid training" by Tourville... that's downright :twisted: , meaning... me likes.

I'm picturing the aftermath of an FF basing system wipeout.
"But boss (in the SLN), we only saw freighters coming in, 4 of them..." Okay, fine so they were SD's or ammo ships faking it, and a bunch of -C's that translated in WAY farther out and snuck on in.... etc.
---------------------
Post by BobG   » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:13 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:You have to look at his current assignment for an idea of where he's going next. The powers-that-be often map out the future of an officer. Scotty is currently CO of CruDiv 96.1. Most likely Scotty was being tapped to command CruRon 96 in the near future, but the Yawata strike derailed those plans. Officers assigned to out of the way areas are often sent out 'early' to get a lay of the land. Look at ADM Henke as an example, she was first given command as a VADM in what was nominally a RADM command with the expectation of her assuming command of 10th Fleet when the rest of the assigned units were sent forward months later. IIRC Mike was sent out with BatCruRon 106 then about 6 T-months later CruRon 94 and DesRon 301 were sent out to Spindle then roughly 6 T-months after that BatCruRon 108 arrived and then 10th Fleet was formally activated.

I think you're mostly correct. I think Scotty will be give a small task group consisting of CruDiv 96.1, an ammo carrier, a CLAC, and a couple of divisions of DDs or CLS - although there are no or few CLs in Talbot. I think his mission will be to take planets away from the SL, and destroy or capture FF ships and non-alliance shipping. This will result in him becoming a "scourge of the space ways" in the eyes of the SLN, the TransStellars, and the SL public. Images of him with a patch (confusing him with HH) and pirate attire, well, you get the idea.

Seriously, I think he will be in the forefront of the effort to free the Virge from the SL. And as long as he can keep his magazines filled, he will succeed. OTOH, establishing governments that are stable and guarantee equal rights to all, is probably beyond his expertise. Fortunately, he will still be under Terekov's command, so there is at least a chance that some stability will be established.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.

Return to Honorverse