Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests

Star Trek and the Honor movie

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Star Trek and the Honor movie
Post by Abaddon   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Abaddon
Commander

SWM wrote:Axanar is a great project, and I fully endorse it, but you can't fairly compare the Honorverse movie to Axanar.

This, exactly.

saber964 wrote:Even main line movies can be made on the cheap. Remember the movie Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis. They did that movie for around $1 million and it grossed over $30 million in the U.S. alone has made a small fortune since. You have to wonder how many indie movies are made on the cheap and rake in millions.

Halloween was released in 1978 in a genre known for low budget films, you simply can't compare that to a film being made today in a more expensive genre. I will say that the (Wikipedia-sourced) budget of $325,000 is impressively low even for the time. Halloween 4, ten years later, was $5,000,000, and the Halloween reboot from 2007 was $15,000,000.
Post by HB of CJ   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:14 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Not to nitpick at the Star Trek thing, (well, maybe I am) but why do all the various aliens all speak perfect American accented English? Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, many others, etc..

Why not just instead have the vary good actors use a rare Earth foreign language and use sub titles? Or teach the Klingon guy to speak Klingon and the Vulcans to speak Vulcan? Why not?

Just me. HB of CJ (oldest coot)
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

HB of CJ wrote:Not to nitpick at the Star Trek thing, (well, maybe I am) but why do all the various aliens all speak perfect American accented English? Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, many others, etc..

Why not just instead have the vary good actors use a rare Earth foreign language and use sub titles? Or teach the Klingon guy to speak Klingon and the Vulcans to speak Vulcan? Why not?

They have these handy little things called universal translators. And my guess is English is considered the common language for humans so pretty much everyone learns to speak it. And given that Earth is capital of the Federation my guess is knowing how to speak English would become pretty common on other Federation worlds as well.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:24 pm

munroburton
Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Not to nitpick at the Star Trek thing, (well, maybe I am) but why do all the various aliens all speak perfect American accented English? Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, many others, etc..

Star Trek handwaves the language issue by using a magical Universal Translator device integrated into the computer and combadges. When the aliens hear the humans speak, they're hearing their own language. It doesn't quite hold together when they have conversations with the occasional alien word thrown in for flavour, though. Sometimes done to subvert broadcasting regulations on swearing.
Post by vernonlvincent   » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:04 am

vernonlvincent
Ensign

SWM wrote:I believe that's about two people's worth of salary, for professional jobs (and their professional equipment) they didn't get any volunteers for.

I understand that. Nevertheless, not everyone is working on a volunteer basis. The startrekaxanar website has a report on how they've spent their money and how it's being managed. My intent in posting this was to demonstrate that not everyone was unpaid, not that they were making as much as they would in a salaried position with a studio.

Return to Honorverse