Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

A certain RMN Officer...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A certain RMN Officer...
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:
Dauntless wrote:lol nice work guys

who would take over as flag captain when Rafe finally gets his flag?

Scotty is about the only one left of the survivors who isn't already an admiral and command track.

It doesn't have to be someone who had served with her before. An "outsider" can make it in, like Andrea Jaruwalski.

Scotty isn't the only one not yet a flag officer. There was an Ensign Arlene Wolversham detached from the ship as Venizelos' second in command for the customs inspection teams at the terminus. Last seen as a DN's ATO way back in 1904, before the war began and hasn't shown up anywhere since. She might be dead or already a flag officer, however!

I have always liked that bit about Bellerophon; it is sad we didn't see her again. Survivors from the CL Fearless are getting thin on the ground, though.

What about Oversteegen's exec, Watson?, who got Gauntless when he moved to Nike? She might be due for Commodore by now.

and post BOMA, there are a lot of heavy cruisers with Commanders instead of senior grade captains. Aside from Scotty, Zavala is also an acting commodore, with a flag staff. Does having the staff make them Commodores?

Rob
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:26 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

No, Commodore is a defined rank, not a position.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:02 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

hmm if Arlene Wolversham still lives she would be a good candidate.

clearly she has had some intresting times after leaving Honor orbit and providing she hasn't comitted any really stupid mistakes she is probably at least a commander.
Post by munroburton   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:37 am

munroburton
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:hmm if Arlene Wolversham still lives she would be a good candidate.

clearly she has had some intresting times after leaving Honor orbit and providing she hasn't comitted any really stupid mistakes she is probably at least a commander.

Captain, definitely. Likely of the List as well. She was senior to Scotty when they all went to Basilisk - it was his first post-middy cruise assignment.

My point here is that Scotty was the most junior officer from CL Fearless' crew. Every officer who was on that ship is either dead or should now be COs themselves.

I checked the wiki for ideas and it appears there were three other named Lieutenants who have basically disappeared since the end of OBS. Illona Rierson(engineer), Maxwell Stromboli(astrogator) and Ariella Blanding(supply officer).

From CA Fearless, only one Ensign(Wolcott) was named and she was later killed in Silesia. After that, the most junior people we really saw were flag lieutenants. Carson Clinkscales might be at roughly the right stage in his career to pull duty as a flag captain now. From a different Navy, however.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
*STANDING OVATION*

You, I like.

Agreed. All of this, agreed. It's not going to be Saganami Island that boosts Havenite technical efficiency by orders of magnitude - it'll be the toys the combined genius of my two favorite geek girls comes up with, and it'll have just as much an effect on the erstwhile Manticoran Alliance.

That said, if I don't see Havenites going through the Crusher and RMN/GSN officers going through the Havenite equivalent thereof, I will be more than slightly disappointed.

Possibly not going through the formal crusher course, but I imagine that anybody captain or admiral operating with mixed fleets would got through a crusher-like course to familiarize themselves with the normal tactical doctrines (and capabilities) of each constituent navy. That ideally should happen before they're assigned to such a fleet.

Then there would be further simulations and joint practice scenarios as the mixed fleet learns how best to work together, and how the various captains, ships, and commands tend to react to given situations.

However that would be more of existing commanders; while the Crusher is aimed more towards prospective, or at least new, ship captains. There might well be some exchange programs at the officer graduate level (crusher equivalents) where we see prospective Manticoran commanders taking advanced training at Haven and vise a versa.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Dafmeister wrote:No, Commodore is a defined rank, not a position.

Great, I get another chance to be pedantic. :)

No not always, the USN discontinued it twice. I decided to look it up, because I am totally anal about vocabulary, and because it is used both as a rank (Commodore Magellan, &) and as a position (Commodore Zavala, always Captain to his face, commodore when he was talked about).

The American Heritage Dictionary was included in the software package when I bought this iBook in 2004; it is only good for everyday usages.

[quote]
American Heritage Dictionary:
commodore |ˈkäməˌdôr|
noun
a naval officer of high rank, in particular an officer in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard ranking above captain and below rear admiral.
• the president of a yacht club.
• the senior captain of a shipping line.
ORIGIN late 17th cent.: probably from Dutch komandeur, from French commandeur ‘commander.’

Here is a different source: I added the bold, since I dumped all their formatting. I noted when looking at the entry that there is a sidebar of naval ranks, and RFC uses nearly all of the listed titles (in the different navies).

From Wikipedia: Commodore (rank)

Commodore is a naval rank used in many navies that is superior to a navy captain, but below a rear admiral. Non-English-speaking nations often use the rank of flotilla admiral or counter admiral or senior captain as an equivalent, although the latter may also correspond to rear admiral.

Traditionally, "commodore" is the title for any officer assigned to command more than one ship at a time, even temporarily, much as "captain" is the traditional title for the commanding officer of a single ship even if the officer's official title in the service is a lower rank. As an official rank, a commodore typically commands a flotilla or squadron of ships as part of a larger task force or naval fleet commanded by an admiral.

Etymology[edit]
The rank of commodore derives from the French commandeur, which was one of the highest ranks in orders of knighthood, and in military orders the title of the knight in charge of a commenda (a local part of the order's territorial possessions).
History[edit]
The Dutch Navy also used the rank of commandeur from the end of the 16th century for a variety of temporary positions, until it became a conventional permanent rank in 1955.

The rank of commodore was at first a position created as a temporary title to be bestowed upon captains who commanded squadrons of more than one vessel. In many navies, the rank of commodore was merely viewed as a senior captain position, whereas other naval services bestowed upon the rank of commodore the prestige of flag officer status.

---
United States[edit]
Main article: Commodore (United States)
In 1899 the substantive rank of commodore was discontinued in the United States Navy, but revived during World War II. It was discontinued as a rank in these services during the postwar period, but as an appointment, the title [b]"commodore" was then used to identify senior U.S. Navy captains who commanded squadrons of more than one vessel or functional air wings or air groups that were not part of a carrier air wing or air group. Concurrently, until the early 1980s snip.
[/quote

There, more than anyone would want to know. :D

Rob
Post by SWM   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:45 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Neo-Bob, I believe the question about Commodore's was specifically in reference to the Honorverse, where it is most definitely a specific rank, not a position.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:Neo-Bob, I believe the question about Commodore's was specifically in reference to the Honorverse, where it is most definitely a specific rank, not a position.

Just call me Rob. I made that alias on a day when someone made a comment about barbarians being the cause of the fall of the Roman Empire; they weren't, that worthless and bankrupt institution fell a long time before that, imo.

I suppose I could have gone through and pulled up the quotations to prove my point earlier, but the post was too long.

So: Why does the crew of Tristram keeps calling Zavala "the commodore"? And I will have to check, but I think it came up with Terekhov as well, before he was promoted. Which is exactly why I posted that too-long wall of text to begin with. A commodore can hold the rank of commodore; and he can be in the position (as the senior officer of something squadron sized or larger).

Both of those occur in the text. Which I wanted to point out.

Rob
Post by munroburton   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:44 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
SWM wrote:Neo-Bob, I believe the question about Commodore's was specifically in reference to the Honorverse, where it is most definitely a specific rank, not a position.

Just call me Rob. I made that alias on a day when someone made a comment about barbarians being the cause of the fall of the Roman Empire; they weren't, that worthless and bankrupt institution fell a long time before that, imo.

I suppose I could have gone through and pulled up the quotations to prove my point earlier, but the post was too long.

So: Why does the crew of Tristram keeps calling Zavala "the commodore"? And I will have to check, but I think it came up with Terekhov as well, before he was promoted. Which is exactly why I posted that too-long wall of text to begin with. A commodore can hold the rank of commodore; and he can be in the position (as the senior officer of something squadron sized or larger).

Both of those occur in the text. Which I wanted to point out.

Rob

It could be an editorial slip. I checked SoF(eARC version) and Kaplan definitely refers to Zavala as a Commodore - but almost immediately afterwards, Governor Duenas is informed he has a message from a Captain Jacob Zavala.

I do recall from reading the Hornblower novels that there were two types of Commodores - one which commanded his own ship and the first class, which got a (flag) captain to do that.

It may be some sort of courtesy practice in the RMN to call the most senior of a group of captains a commodore, when there is not a real commodore or admiral around. This would be so when messages are transmitted in a squadron or flotilla without a flag officer, everyone knows who "the commodore" means.
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:19 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

munroburton wrote:
Dauntless wrote:hmm if Arlene Wolversham still lives she would be a good candidate.

Captain, definitely. Likely of the List as well. She was senior to Scotty when they all went to Basilisk - it was his first post-middy cruise assignment.

My point here is that Scotty was the most junior officer from CL Fearless' crew. Every officer who was on that ship is either dead or should now be COs themselves.

I checked the wiki for ideas and it appears there were three other named Lieutenants who have basically disappeared since the end of OBS. Illona Rierson(engineer), Maxwell Stromboli(astrogator) and Ariella Blanding(supply officer).

From CA Fearless, only one Ensign(Wolcott) was named and she was later killed in Silesia. After that, the most junior people we really saw were flag lieutenants. Carson Clinkscales might be at roughly the right stage in his career to pull duty as a flag captain now. From a different Navy, however.

depends how her war went. Scotty spent a lot of time hanging around honour after bassilisk (yeltsin, Sileisa, hades etc) and getting caught up in the chaos of opportunity that surrounds her.

after all he was just promoted to LtCdmr before her heavy cruiser squadron's deployment that led to her capture. upon return to manty space he is immediatly promoted to full commader. a span of less then 3 years which i believe is very short space.

by the time Honour returns to active duty during the cease fire (MoH) Scotty is captain (JG) that i believe is again only a couple of years and very fast promotion.

then there is the battle of Sidemore and resumption of war and by the time Honour takes command of Eighth Fleet he is a captain of the List.

that is a lot of promotions in a fairly short time. I don't think any of the others from that era have jumped so far so fast.

Return to Honorverse