Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests

Paranoia

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Paranoia
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:52 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

In addition, the first batch of signatories to the Cherwell Convention ratified it in 1651 PD, a century after the Axelrod attack.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Duckk wrote:The Alignment is wholly uninterested in Manticore at this point in time. The treecats and the possibility of telempathy/telepathy are of mild interest to the Alignment's genetic uplift programs, but it's effectively a non-issue insofar as grand strategy is concerned. It's only after the discovery of the wormhole and their association with Beowulf that the Alignment takes notice of them. Even then, their primary focus in that region of space is almost entirely on the Republic of Haven. It takes the first Havenite War and the technological developments that occurred therein that the Alignment considers Manticore a significant threat to their plans.

People playing around with genetics, NOT being head over heels crazy about the possibility of attaining the codes for telepathy or at least telempathy? :shock:
Post by kzt   » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:57 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

When was telepathy generally accepted as what was going on?
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:40 am

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:When was telepathy generally accepted as what was going on?

Telepathy among the People? Or telepathy between tricots and humans? I believe that Stephanie became convinced of telempathy between treecats and humans. Recognition of telepathy between treecats and humans is an Honor thing, probably becoming strongest after their stay on Hades.

But I may be wrong.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:46 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Telepathy among the People? Or telepathy between treecats and humans? I believe that Stephanie became convinced of telempathy between treecats and humans. Recognition of telepathy between treecats and humans is an Honor thing, probably becoming strongest after their stay on Hades.

But I may be wrong.

I mean, when did the xenobiology community generally accept that this was what was going on? The Alignment has better things to do than send one their few xenobiologists to the back end of forever because someone had a bad dream. So until they have a real expectation that they might find something useful they are not going to be doing this.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Direwolf18 wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:It's too early in the timeline. I'm not sure that the Visigoth junction has been discovered yet, let alone Mesa being settled by Leonard Detweiller's merry band of exiles.

Jason arrived in the Manticore Binary system 1416 PD, Detweiler leads his exiles out to Mesa in 1460. Edward is King from 1542-1544, so that is when these books are placed. It is conceivable that the Mesan Alignment is moving, although I really doubt they are involved with a backwater like Manticore, except for the treecat invovlment. Although having their teeth in Axelrod isn't inconceivable.

For some reason I thought Detweiler was involved with the cleanup after the final war, considering that was over in 942 PD I was totally off on that one.

What relationship Axelrod Corp. had with Detweiler & Co. at the time of the initial attack on Manticore, at some point they moved their corporate headquarters to Mesa.

Caldron of Ghosts wrote:She was just brooding. The departure of the Hali Soul—no, Sowle—had gone with even less notice than a tramp freighter normally would have gotten. That was because traffic through Balcescu had risen sharply over the past few weeks.

What bothered Ferenc wasn’t the heavy workload, so much. She didn’t enjoy it, but the overtime pay was nice. No, what bothered her was that she didn’t know the reason for the increase in traffic.

Sure, the extra ships that came through were all from Mesa and had impeccable papers. (Which were electronic, not molecular, of course; but the old term was still used by most traffic control services.) But maybe that was the problem. Their documentation was too good, in a way. In Ferenc’s experience, the documentation for real shipping concerns got frayed at the edges after a while.

Not that of this additional traffic, though. Their credentials and bona fides and bills of lading looked like they’d just come out of the virtual presses at the headquarters of Manpower, the Jessyk Combine, Axelrod Transstellar, and Technodyne.

They had serious backing behind them, too. Any questions beyond the routine ones got stonewalled—and both times she’d tried to push a little, Csilla had gotten slapped down by her superiors.

Slapped down hard and fast.

So, apparently, Axelrod Transtellar is still alive and committing atrocities from Mesa.

Rob
Post by Kytheros   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:It's too early in the timeline. I'm not sure that the Visigoth junction has been discovered yet, let alone Mesa being settled by Leonard Detweiller's merry band of exiles.

Direwolf18 wrote:Jason arrived in the Manticore Binary system 1416 PD, Detweiler leads his exiles out to Mesa in 1460. Edward is King from 1542-1544, so that is when these books are placed. It is conceivable that the Mesan Alignment is moving, although I really doubt they are involved with a backwater like Manticore, except for the treecat invovlment. Although having their teeth in Axelrod isn't inconceivable.

For some reason I thought Detweiler was involved with the cleanup after the final war, considering that was over in 942 PD I was totally off on that one.

What relationship Axelrod Corp. had with Detweiler & Co. at the time of the initial attack on Manticore, at some point they moved their corporate headquarters to Mesa.

Caldron of Ghosts wrote:She was just brooding. The departure of the Hali Soul—no, Sowle—had gone with even less notice than a tramp freighter normally would have gotten. That was because traffic through Balcescu had risen sharply over the past few weeks.

What bothered Ferenc wasn’t the heavy workload, so much. She didn’t enjoy it, but the overtime pay was nice. No, what bothered her was that she didn’t know the reason for the increase in traffic.

Sure, the extra ships that came through were all from Mesa and had impeccable papers. (Which were electronic, not molecular, of course; but the old term was still used by most traffic control services.) But maybe that was the problem. Their documentation was too good, in a way. In Ferenc’s experience, the documentation for real shipping concerns got frayed at the edges after a while.

Not that of this additional traffic, though. Their credentials and bona fides and bills of lading looked like they’d just come out of the virtual presses at the headquarters of Manpower, the Jessyk Combine, Axelrod Transstellar, and Technodyne.

They had serious backing behind them, too. Any questions beyond the routine ones got stonewalled—and both times she’d tried to push a little, Csilla had gotten slapped down by her superiors.

Slapped down hard and fast.

So, apparently, Axelrod Transtellar is still alive and committing atrocities from Mesa.

Rob

It's not clear that "Axelrod Transtellar" is the same Axelrod Corporation that tried to take over Manticore for the wormhole.
I believe I read somewhere that after Axelrod got exposed as being responsible for the attack on Manticore, it got broken up as punishment. Admittedly, said breakup would have been handled by the League bureaucracy, and the parts probably would have gone to other transtellars, and so it may been been able to be reconstituted at some point later on.
Or maybe I'm mistaking what happened to Axelrod with what's supposed to happen to Technodyne post-Monica.

However, I doubt that Axelrod would have been able to go unscathed in the aftermath of their involvement and failure becoming publicly known. If they'd succeeded, business as usual, or failed but not been exposed, swept under the rug, but failure and exposure? Hammer time.

Return to Honorverse