Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests

Paranoia

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Paranoia
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:57 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

It's not paranoia, they tell me, if they're really out to get you.

That being said, I have finished Manticore Ascending 2 and I kept thinking about it while I was reading it. What if X character is a part of the Mesan Alignment, or his group is being goaded by them.

With so much knowledge of what happens in Honor's time, and the grand plan of the MAlignment, I keep seeing dark and suspicious reasons for everything characters do. Especially how the book closes out.

Anyone else feel that way?
Re: Paranoia
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:01 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

It's too early in the timeline. I'm not sure that the Visigoth junction has been discovered yet, let alone Mesa being settled by Leonard Detweiller's merry band of exiles.

By the way - this should have a spoiler tag on it. The rule in this forum is that anything concerning a story that hasn't been published yet gets a spoiler tag until one month after the hardcover (or first edition, at any rate.) The rule on the Bar is six months after the paperback.

Fireflair wrote:It's not paranoia, they tell me, if they're really out to get you.

That being said, I have finished Manticore Ascending 2 and I kept thinking about it while I was reading it. What if X character is a part of the Mesan Alignment, or his group is being goaded by them.

With so much knowledge of what happens in Honor's time, and the grand plan of the MAlignment, I keep seeing dark and suspicious reasons for everything characters do. Especially how the book closes out.

Post by n7axw   » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Fireflair wrote:It's not paranoia, they tell me, if they're really out to get you.

The version I am familiar with is that even paranoiacs have enemies. Sometimes paranoia is the only sensible response! :(

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

I used to think I was paranoid.
I thought people were out to get me.
Now I know the truth - they ARE out to get me.
I feel so much better.
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

My question still stands, does anyone else read the Travis long books and feel a bit of paranoia about what the antagonists are up to?
Post by Kytheros   » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:39 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Spoilers ahead.

Axelrod - that is, the megacorp behind the Volsung takeover attempt - know about the Wormhole, or at least, strongly suspects the possibility of the wormhole existing.
They're trying to take over Manticore so that they (Axelrod) will have control over the wormhole and the economic opportunities it will generate.

The MAlign may or may not have some connections in Axelrod. However, the takeover plan is pure Axelrod corporate greed, rather than part of the MAlign master plan. The MAlign, assuming it has anyone in place in Axelrod in a position to know about the wormhole and the takeover plans, doesn't really care that much one way or the other. If Axelrod succeeds, that's probably slightly preferable, but if Axelrod doesn't pull it off, odds are Manticore will be like any other Verge/Shell system with a wormhole bridge - more prosperous than most, and probably higher on the list for OFS to acquisition, but not really all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Fortunately, we know that they will ultimately fail, and Axelrod ultimately gets exposed as responsible for trying to attack and take over Manticore. We know this because until the Republic of Haven attacked Manticore in attempt to end the war before Apollo was fully deployed, the last time the Manticore Binary System was attacked was an Axelrod-backed attack. I don't remember where that's written, though.
It's probably a fair guess to say that Breakwater and his MPARS ambitions get scuttled at some point, and/or MPARS gets converted into the modern Astro Control Service that's responsible for Junction control and survey.
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:49 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

JohnRoth wrote:It's too early in the timeline. I'm not sure that the Visigoth junction has been discovered yet, let alone Mesa being settled by Leonard Detweiller's merry band of exiles.

Jason arrived in the Manticore Binary system 1416 PD, Detweiler leads his exiles out to Mesa in 1460. Edward is King from 1542-1544, so that is when these books are placed. It is conceivable that the Mesan Alignment is moving, although I really doubt they are involved with a backwater like Manticore, except for the treecat invovlment. Although having their teeth in Axelrod isn't inconceivable.

For some reason I thought Detweiler was involved with the cleanup after the final war, considering that was over in 942 PD I was totally off on that one.
Post by Duckk   » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:08 am

Duckk
Site Admin

The Alignment is wholly uninterested in Manticore at this point in time. The treecats and the possibility of telempathy/telepathy are of mild interest to the Alignment's genetic uplift programs, but it's effectively a non-issue insofar as grand strategy is concerned. It's only after the discovery of the wormhole and their association with Beowulf that the Alignment takes notice of them. Even then, their primary focus in that region of space is almost entirely on the Republic of Haven. It takes the first Havenite War and the technological developments that occurred therein that the Alignment considers Manticore a significant threat to their plans.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Duckk wrote:"...It takes the first Havenite War and the technological developments that occurred therein that the Alignment considers Manticore a significant threat to their plans.

Doesn't the Chertwell Convention introduce some degree of animosity between Manticore and Mesa?
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:28 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
Duckk wrote:"...It takes the first Havenite War and the technological developments that occurred therein that the Alignment considers Manticore a significant threat to their plans.

Doesn't the Chertwell Convention introduce some degree of animosity between Manticore and Mesa?

It introduced some animosity between Manticore and Manpower, Inc. Perhaps some between Manticore and the Mesan government. But the Mesan Alignment didn't care all that much. The Mesan Alignment liked the opposition to genetic slavery. The Alignment used the Audubon Ballroom for their own purposes, shaping public perceptions of the terrorist society. They infiltrated and manipulated the Renaissance Association. They deliberately pushed the systems which eventually become the Renaissance Factor into opponents of genetic slavery. Genetic slavery and the opposition to it was a smoke screen for hiding the Alignment's plans.

The opposition of Manticore and Haven bothered Mesa, but it did not affect the plans of the Mesan Alignment. At worst, it was an occasional annoyance. Genetic slavery was a tool used by the Alignment, not an end in itself, and the anti-slavery actions seldom interfered with the Alignment's true plans.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse