Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 92 guests

Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:55 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

munroburton, an excellent summary, but I do take issue with one of your paragraphs...

munroburton wrote: There's also been no indications whatsover that the Mandarins or Battle Fleet is planning to attack Beowulf. Kingsford was explict to Kolokoltsev about the impossibility of a successful military attack against GA wallers and Kolokeltsev talked his fellow Mandarins into leaving Beowulf alone whilst taking a hardline stance against other secessionists.

Actually, if you read the last 1-2 chapters of A rising Thunder, the Mandarins have managed to talk themselves into an (attack? demonstration? raid?) on Beowulf and our two favorite SLN intelligence officers are discussing it right at the end of that book.

So yes, there may be some military action around Beowulf, and I can see damage be done (perhaps inadvertenly) by BF to Beowulf causing the losses (and possibly without MAlignmnet involvement, relying simply on BF incompetence and the Dread Lord Murphy to suffice).

We shall see...eventually.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Hutch wrote:So I am at Liberty Con in Chattanooga (2 hr drive for me), where the MWW is the Writer Guest of Honor (and Eric Flint is here with the 1632 Mini-con). DW had a session of "Weber Talks" (not what it was called, but that is what we got), where he held forth on a variety of topics, most have little to do with the Honorverse (but we did get his take on Islam, history thereof). But in the last 5 minutes of the session, he did let several things slip.

So I repeat again..SPOILER WARNING!! If you read past here and then say "Awww, I didn't want to know that now, tough patooties...You Have Been Warned.

Also, I'd ask that you take care not to drop this out of the thread except with Spoiler warnings....the way DW talked we won't see anything from Honor in 2015 and if there is anything in 2016, it'll be later than sooner, so let's be careful about spoiling anything for folks who don't like to know ahead of time.

That said.....

* House of LIes is taking longer than planned, both due to the MWW writing schedule and Bu9's ability to get together and hash out the detail work. He has not started his novelette for House of Lies yet, but he did reveal....

*...That it was supposed to be about the DuQuense plan and Mesan involvement with same, but that instead he currently plans to write two shorter novelettes focusing on the lives and times of Thomas Theisman and Eloise Prichart as they go from the Legislaturist Era to the Rob Pierre/Oscar St. Just era and ending the Tom asks Eloise to take over the Government.

(And no, I take no responsibility for any seismic shifts caused by rose-n-heather's reaction to this news.)

SNIP

--Eloise and Emperess Elizabeth are going to forge even closer ties between Haven and Manticore, by giving citizenship in one polity the same recognition in the other (i.e., if a Manticorian moves to a Havenite system, he will be treated the same as if he was a Havenite, and visa versa for Havenites in the SEM. He hasn't decided yet if the fleets will be merged or be more like a NATO-type relationship, but the pattern will be to ensure that whatever comes in the future, Haven and Manticore will face it together...as friends and allies.

(somebody please check on rose-n-heather's BP)

SNIP

Remember. "SPOILERS" if you use this information in other threads...or try to keep the conversation on this one.

*indecipherable squawking noises*

I can't...

I can't even breathe. This is... unbelievable. This is everything I ever needed (no, not 'wanted', I still have a list ten miles long of what I want) in this series, and I just...

I can't glomp RFC in the biggest hug known to mankind, but good God, do I ever want to.

I just. I don't even have words. It doesn't feel quite real, yet, or I probably wouldn't even be capable of thinking right now.

But I can tell you this. When House of Lies is finally available, I won't just buy it in hardback, I'll have it on pre-order.

Long live the Grand Alliance. And God bless the Republic.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:23 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:

Ok, I'll bite. Just where from (and when) did these 600 SD's come to Tasmania? Remember, the discussion towards the last of ART between Doud, Teague, and the rest in the records storage room *doesn't* mention YET ANOTHER large fleet assembly outside the Core - it specifically mentions Crandall in the Meyers sector and Filareta's in the Tasmanian sector *only* as the only *recent* large deployments in the last 200 T-years or so.

Filareta's fleet of 400+ SD's *CAME* from Tasmania. It would seem to me that if there were an *additional* 600 SD's there, he would have just brought them along - if only as insurance. Especially if Tsang really was supposed to force her fleet through the Junction. It would make no sense keeping back so many ships so far from the target.

Also, allegedly there were about 3000 SD's in current status, the rest were mothballed in the Reserve. Putting 1/3 of the currently available ships in *one* location; considering the size of the League and all the potential volume that needed coverage, just in case, makes no sense. 300 or 400, maybe. 1000? No. The percentage is too high. Given that Tasmania isn't even in the Core, and, probably somewhere in the outer Shell, it's unlikely the system even *has* enough infrastructure to support so many ships for any significant length of time; even if it were a dedicated fleet base. Even Grendelsbane, the Manty fleet base system, only had about 90 SD's under construction or repair, and virtually none for defensive purposes, when the "Peeps" launched Thunderbolt. Given the SLN hasn't been on a war footing like Manticore and Haven have, it's unlikely outlying fleet bases have large numbers of SD's. Battlecruisers and smaller craft, maybe, but probably not even hundreds of them at any one time.

As for Tsang's ships, we don't actually know where they came from, or where they went to after leaving Beowulf's near space. 100 wallers would probably need a significant support structure. Given that Beowulf is a core world, it's *reasonable* that some SLN base system is at least somewhat nearby, but that's never been explicitly said.

Even Beowulf itself only built and supports 36 SD's. No doubt they could build - and support - more; but probably not without significant impact to their civilian infrastructure. Even Manticore, Haven, and the Andermani didn't build their large fleets in a single system or at a single base. Grayson did, but *they* only managed about 50-60 units.

So it's more likely that larger fleets of SD's are supported by systems that were explicitly developed as fleet bases, similar to Haven's "Bolthole".

Tsang's ships went back to the SLN base at Mars. Part of the Mandrain's beef with Rajani after the debacle at Beowulf was that he was keeping her out there rather than bringing her in so that Kolokoltzov and company could personally debrief her.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think there is a hint somewhere in David's posts to suggest that the MAlign's attack on Beowulf would be bioweapons, rather than a conventional missile attack.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by blackjack217   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:17 pm

blackjack217
Captain (Junior Grade)

Has he said what's up with the Asgerd Association and Midgard Federation?
Was rereading the series and what information I've turned up seems totally contradictory.
Post by Erls   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Any conventional attack on Beowulf I'm sure is going to get sacked. Once they get Mycroft up it'll be lights out for any Sollies who want to try and tango in that system.

A bio weapon and/or other sneak attack by the MAlignment would stand out to me as the most probable. And, if the modus operandi is unchanged it will happen a couple t-months after Beowulf destroys the Solly attack and has left the league completely.

A couple other things I think might happen in the next book:

1- Kingsford's commerce raiding strategy may get one or two early successes, but will implode as soon as the GA deploys massed missile pods/Mycroft as well as plenty of LACs to each and every system.
2- The Sollies may decide they can pay the price, and send squadrons of Wallers after any junction termini the Manties 'took' from them. For example, Stine and Captain Magellan. Whether the Sollies succeed or not, I don't know.
3- The Maya sector (and Erewhon) become secret members of the GA. They don't sign on publicly in order to allow Maya and Erewhon to continue to build up their capacity in secrecy, but they pass along intel and receive some newer Manty tech further improve their capabilities.
4- The Solarian League starts to fragment partway through the book, with Verge systems and some Shell systems declaring independence from New Chicago and attempting to go their own way.
5- Towards the end of the book, all hell breaks loose in Solly land as the Core Worlds break apart and start going their own way.
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:51 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I don't really think massed missile pods and LACs to every system likely to be hit by commerce raiders in the Alliance. Even if they manage to get them to every system likely to be targeted in a reasonable time frame all the raiders have to do is start lurking in hyper and the pods and LACs become useless against them.
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:40 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:I think there is a hint somewhere in David's posts to suggest that the MAlign's attack on Beowulf would be bioweapons, rather than a conventional missile attack.

Don

A bioweapon actually sort of makes sense, given the MAligns long-term hatred of the Beowulf bio-sciences code, and the general human "anti-genie" mindset.

Some form of weaponised infection, similar to that awful plot from the first X-men movie with Magneto planning to force evolution onto the world leaders, etc etc.

small, deliverable by Sharks, and as far as we know Beowulf has nothing like the exquisitely sensitive scanner arrays that guard both Haven and Manticore, so a Shark squadron may not even be detected exiting hyper at a few light -weeks.
Post by phillies   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:41 am

phillies
Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:
n7axw wrote:I think there is a hint somewhere in David's posts to suggest that the MAlign's attack on Beowulf would be bioweapons, rather than a conventional missile attack.

Don

A bioweapon actually sort of makes sense, given the MAligns long-term hatred of the Beowulf bio-sciences code, and the general human "anti-genie" mindset.

Some form of weaponised infection, similar to that awful plot from the first X-men movie with Magneto planning to force evolution onto the world leaders, etc etc.

small, deliverable by Sharks, and as far as we know Beowulf has nothing like the exquisitely sensitive scanner arrays that guard both Haven and Manticore, so a Shark squadron may not even be detected exiting hyper at a few light -weeks.

That shotgun has been mounted. Detweiler's wife was reading a technical paper about weaponized nanotech.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

[quote A bioweapon actually sort of makes sense, given the MAligns long-term hatred of the Beowulf bio-sciences code, and the general human "anti-genie" mindset.

small, deliverable by Sharks, and as far as we know Beowulf has nothing like the exquisitely sensitive scanner arrays that guard both Haven and Manticore, so a Shark squadron may not even be detected exiting hyper at a few light -weeks.[/quote]

That shotgun has been mounted. Detweiler's wife was reading a technical paper about weaponized nanotech.[/quote]

We have seen one "weponization" of nanotech with the stuff used to kill Honor's Flag LT., the Manticore Ambassador, the "Rat Poision" attempt etc. Making something that would be self propagating so it could spread and yet not become a full-on plague would be more Alignment than a nano equivelent of Anthrax. Perhaps comething that goes after bloodlines of various people the Alignment has really hated on Beowulf? Just twisty-odd enough for the Alignment so it could still make Beowulf suffer and have to concentrate only on sollving the weapon rather than anything else, probaby being "forced" to folow the precepts of Dr. Detweiler to "cure" the plague?

Return to Honorverse