Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Hutch wrote:Weber confirmed that there will be only two more books in the 'mainline' Honor Harrington saga

That sounds extremely limited compared to just about any of the preceeding books.

Really hope he´s not pushed into "compressing" the end too much, as that´s something i´ve seen several authors of long series do lately(and it really hurt the series in question).

Hutch wrote:(somebody please check on rose-n-heather's BP)

:lol:

Probably needed.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Hutch,

Was anything said about resuming snippets?

It has been three whole weeks since he posted any! :(

HTM

Hutch wrote:
Lunan wrote:Hutch, thank you for the update. By any chance was there any other information regarding OTHER projects? Kenholden 2, safehold, prince roger, dahak, apoc troll 2?

Luann, my apologies, I wasn't paying attention to the other series the MWW has as I haven't begun to read them to date.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Its traditional to write the book before snipting it.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:15 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Its traditional to write the book before snipting it.

I suspect he is refering to Sword of the South and HFQ in the Safehold series. Those books have been written.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by JustCurious   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:33 am

JustCurious
Commander

The Mesan Alignment's goal is the fall of the Solarian League. An Eridani Edict violation by the league would help this. This is why I think that they are likely to use their nanotech body control to have the Solarian fleet fire some missiles at Beowulf. It doesn't need to be an order from the flagship, just one fleet unit needs to be involved. Of course MWW could have something completely different in mind.
Post by JustCurious   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:44 am

JustCurious
Commander

RFC has said that their might be another book set about twenty or thirty years after the main sequence finishes. Now what might this involve?
Could it involve Honor's kids who were intended to be the protagonists After At All Costs?
What will be the nature of the struggle? Could it be something to do with an aspect of human genetic engineering that is not covered in the current conflict. When Manticore and Beowulf do engage in genetic engineering they will be more cautious and slower. The will do more to avoid harmful side effects. But the most important part of their genetic engineering will not be the improvement of existing abilities that Mesa does. It will be the development of abilities that are extremely rare, the development of human empaths.
Post by kaid   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:56 am

kaid
Lieutenant Commander

Honestly two more mainline books sounds about right. The alignments plans are going on to the rocks with a quickness given how quickly mike jumped mesa and the manties and haven actively allying with each other. They wanted there to be no major power blocks left so they could put together their dream society. Now you have one pretty huge power block that has more conventional firepower than anybody else and you have strongly motivated them to hunt you down and destroy you.

All it takes is a another defector or some lose ends on mesa that they missed in their expedited houdini plans before their house of cards starts falling apart fast. While the alignment has a strong offensive weapon system with their spider drive vehicles apollo armed mantie and havenite fleets would take out any alignment system when they find them with a quickness.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:19 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Yes, those two too, n,
since he hasn't posted from any book since June 5,

but any who pay attention to my interests will know
that I primarily refer to Road To H--l.
P)ease, DW, post more from that, and then I won't
care if the other books take that road! :evil:

HTM

n7axw wrote:[quote="kzt" responding to a post from HTM re snippets]
Its traditional to write the book before snipting it.[/quote]

I suspect he is refering to Sword of the South and HFQ in the Safehold series. Those books have been written.

Don[/quote]
Post by OrlandoNative   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:53 am

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hutch wrote:munroburton, an excellent summary, but I do take issue with one of your paragraphs...

munroburton wrote: There's also been no indications whatsover that the Mandarins or Battle Fleet is planning to attack Beowulf. Kingsford was explict to Kolokoltsev about the impossibility of a successful military attack against GA wallers and Kolokeltsev talked his fellow Mandarins into leaving Beowulf alone whilst taking a hardline stance against other secessionists.

Actually, if you read the last 1-2 chapters of A rising Thunder, the Mandarins have managed to talk themselves into an (attack? demonstration? raid?) on Beowulf and our two favorite SLN intelligence officers are discussing it right at the end of that book.

So yes, there may be some military action around Beowulf, and I can see damage be done (perhaps inadvertenly) by BF to Beowulf causing the losses (and possibly without MAlignmnet involvement, relying simply on BF incompetence and the Dread Lord Murphy to suffice).

We shall see...eventually.

But that was contingent on Beowulf voting to secede. It was clear that they didn't want to "up the stakes" in such a way as to cause other systems to consider going the same way as Beowulf at this point in time.

Beowulf hasn't (as yet) been *proven* to have done anything they're not granted the ability to do by the Solarian League's constitution. So far, they're only being *investigated*. That could take a while; probably longer than the 2 months until the vote - after all, just agreeing to form a committee to *investigate* took 2 weeks. In any case, attacking Beowulf does nothing to alleviate the potential threat from Manticore. The 60 wallers sitting by the terminus is more than enough to deal with almost any Solarian threat; and more could be sent, if required, in short order. Indeed, with Apollo, those 60 could probably successfully engage and conquer any single star system in the League. So an attack on Beowulf actually would solve *nothing*.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by OrlandoNative   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:43 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:
OrlandoNative wrote:

Ok, I'll bite. Just where from (and when) did these 600 SD's come to Tasmania? Remember, the discussion towards the last of ART between Doud, Teague, and the rest in the records storage room *doesn't* mention YET ANOTHER large fleet assembly outside the Core - it specifically mentions Crandall in the Meyers sector and Filareta's in the Tasmanian sector *only* as the only *recent* large deployments in the last 200 T-years or so.

Filareta's fleet of 400+ SD's *CAME* from Tasmania. It would seem to me that if there were an *additional* 600 SD's there, he would have just brought them along - if only as insurance. Especially if Tsang really was supposed to force her fleet through the Junction. It would make no sense keeping back so many ships so far from the target.

Also, allegedly there were about 3000 SD's in current status, the rest were mothballed in the Reserve. Putting 1/3 of the currently available ships in *one* location; considering the size of the League and all the potential volume that needed coverage, just in case, makes no sense. 300 or 400, maybe. 1000? No. The percentage is too high. Given that Tasmania isn't even in the Core, and, probably somewhere in the outer Shell, it's unlikely the system even *has* enough infrastructure to support so many ships for any significant length of time; even if it were a dedicated fleet base. Even Grendelsbane, the Manty fleet base system, only had about 90 SD's under construction or repair, and virtually none for defensive purposes, when the "Peeps" launched Thunderbolt. Given the SLN hasn't been on a war footing like Manticore and Haven have, it's unlikely outlying fleet bases have large numbers of SD's. Battlecruisers and smaller craft, maybe, but probably not even hundreds of them at any one time.

As for Tsang's ships, we don't actually know where they came from, or where they went to after leaving Beowulf's near space. 100 wallers would probably need a significant support structure. Given that Beowulf is a core world, it's *reasonable* that some SLN base system is at least somewhat nearby, but that's never been explicitly said.

Even Beowulf itself only built and supports 36 SD's. No doubt they could build - and support - more; but probably not without significant impact to their civilian infrastructure. Even Manticore, Haven, and the Andermani didn't build their large fleets in a single system or at a single base. Grayson did, but *they* only managed about 50-60 units.

So it's more likely that larger fleets of SD's are supported by systems that were explicitly developed as fleet bases, similar to Haven's "Bolthole".

Tsang's ships went back to the SLN base at Mars. Part of the Mandrain's beef with Rajani after the debacle at Beowulf was that he was keeping her out there rather than bringing her in so that Kolokoltzov and company could personally debrief her.

Don

Tsang may have gone to Mars to debrief, but it's not certain all "her" ships went with her. It probably depends on where they came from to begin with. Remember, this was 100 SD's. And large groups of SD's aren't a natural occurrence in the SLN. They probably came from various locations, assembled near Beowulf, and, when repulsed, most likely went back to where they originated from. There'd be no reason to keep them all together for any length of time afterwards without a specific target.

Actually, as I recall, their "beef" was that he hadn't brought her to Old Terra. Rajani went to Mars to (1) escape from the Mandarin's for a while and (2) to allegedly consult with Logistics about the mothballed SD's; since Logistics HQ was there. Allusions to Tsang were that she wasn't in the Sol System at all. If she was at Mars, I suspect that no matter what Rajani might or might not want, they'd have at least set up a secure comm session with her and asked her the couple of questions they were really interested in getting answers to. After all, the lightspeed delay may make animated *conversation* difficult, but basic question and answer could certainly be done. And these people can *travel*. A trip to Mars and back probably only takes a day under impeller drive.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."

Return to Honorverse