Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

New books planned.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
New books planned.
Post by Gunny   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Gunny
Lieutenant Commander

A question was asked in the Apocalypse Troll forum:

If the series was to be continued, would you prefer a sequel that covers events after AT, or a prequel covering humanity's war against the Kangas?

RFC answered:

Actually, there are plans for both. Heck, there are plans for 2 sequels to In Fury Born, for that matter. Oh, and also at least 1 sequel and a couple of "in the midst of things" prequels for The Excalibur Option. Ummmm, and now that I think about it, there are the two Dahak sequels I have plotted out. . . .

The problem, of course, being that there is only one of me, I am mortal, and I am also a father with 3 children between the ages of 11 & 12m plus a wife who is going to have her 4th spinal surgery in 18 months on February 7th.

Oh, and I have a few other books I'm committed to write, too.
-------------------------
Then later in the forum:

Joelle Presby and I are probably about 66% through with the third Multiverse book. Oh, and Baen and I are about to contract for a 5-volume fantasy series which will take the war between Norfressa and Kontovar to a conclusions.

Sides that, nothing much.
-------------------------
Note there is no mention of anything in the Honor Harrington series at all. To be sure, the entries in this forum go back a good while, the latest is late in 2014, so don't take this too seriously, but these are the last comments on the subject I've seen. Still I would really like to see how the Solarian League fares against two powerful enemies.

From my own point of view, Honor Harrington is the most important series, Safehold follows well behind, some of the single books are quite good; the fantasy series are not worth buying. And I don't look forward to yet another series. We have enough.
Re: New books planned.
Post by drothgery   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:54 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Gunny wrote:From my own point of view, Honor Harrington is the most important series, Safehold follows well behind, some of the single books are quite good; the fantasy series are not worth buying. And I don't look forward to yet another series. We have enough.
As far as I know, there's not any recent news as to what Weber is writing currently; last thing we know was the final edits for the third multiverse book. The last 'plan' we got from him was a while ago, when he had the next Safehold novel, the first new Norfessa book, and the next multiverse book in the pipeline, but all of those are either done or mostly done by now.

I'd think that means he's on to the next main timeline Honorverse book next (though he's had some health problems very recently), but that's just guessing. Certainly nothing's been formally announced, or even randomly mentioned in form posts.
Post by SWM   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

It has been clear for over a year that it will be a little while before David can get back to the Honorverse. Best guess is he won't get started until 2016.

In the meantime, we should get one or two more Honorverse books from Zahn, and at least one more Honorverse Companion.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by drothgery   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:04 pm

drothgery
Admiral

SWM wrote:It has been clear for over a year that it will be a little while before David can get back to the Honorverse. Best guess is he won't get started until 2016.
Eh.

The novels I know about that were ahead of the next mainline Honorverse in his queue last year were the next Safehold book (Hell's Foundations Quiver, done, available in October from Tor), the first Norfessa quintet book (Sword of the South, done, available in August, e-ARC available now from Baen), and the third Multiverse book (The Road to Hell, currently undergoing final editing, should be available in 2016 from Baen). As far as I know (which, granted, could be wildly wrong), the next mainline Honorvervse novel was supposed to be next after that. I mean, I suppose RFC could write Safehold 8 and/or Norfessa 2 and/or Multiverse 4 and/or something else before getting back to Honor, but I didn't think he was planning on it.
Last edited by drothgery on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Somtaaw   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:03 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

iirc, Honor was supposed to have died off at least two, maybe three times by this point in the series. So it could be, David's having to spend considerably more time thinking about Honorverse books than actually writing.

Currently, everything in Honorverse is somewhat easy to predict in the short term, so it makes a really good spot to let the series sit, and stay for a year or two. While Honorverse is bubbling away on a back burner, he can take those other series that have been bubbling and stewing and release some stuff that hopefully knocks our socks off.

And I'm hoping to see some more Dahak series, that was actually the series that first got me thinking DW is a great writer, and then I went on to AT, before I found Honorverse with Echos.
Post by Relax   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:17 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

1st DW book ever read was Path of the Fury and 2nd was On Basilisk Station. After those two stellar books, read on back to back nights with no sleep I might add while still somehow going to work the next day, I was a fan. Yea, I had to wait a couple days to read Honor of the Queen and get some sleep and since then been doing the wait till next book came out "itchy twitchy thing".
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by SWM   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:06 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:iirc, Honor was supposed to have died off at least two, maybe three times by this point in the series. So it could be, David's having to spend considerably more time thinking about Honorverse books than actually writing.

Currently, everything in Honorverse is somewhat easy to predict in the short term, so it makes a really good spot to let the series sit, and stay for a year or two. While Honorverse is bubbling away on a back burner, he can take those other series that have been bubbling and stewing and release some stuff that hopefully knocks our socks off.

And I'm hoping to see some more Dahak series, that was actually the series that first got me thinking DW is a great writer, and then I went on to AT, before I found Honorverse with Echos.

No, Honor was "supposed" to have died only once. Had things gone according to David's original plan, that would have been at the end of the First Battle of Manticore (i.e. end of At All Costs).

The current plan is to have one or two more Honor Harrington books, then possibly have another sequence set a few decades later.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:iirc, Honor was supposed to have died off at least two, maybe three times by this point in the series. So it could be, David's having to spend considerably more time thinking about Honorverse books than actually writing.

No, Honor was "supposed" to have died only once. Had things gone according to David's original plan, that would have been at the end of the First Battle of Manticore (i.e. end of At All Costs).

The current plan is to have one or two more Honor Harrington books, then possibly have another sequence set a few decades later.

In addition to Tim Zahn's "Manticore Ascendant" series, set 250 years in the past.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Gunny   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Gunny
Lieutenant Commander

drothgery wrote:
Gunny wrote:From my own point of view, Honor Harrington is the most important series, Safehold follows well behind, some of the single books are quite good; the fantasy series are not worth buying. And I don't look forward to yet another series. We have enough.
As far as I know, there's not any recent news as to what Weber is writing currently; last thing we know was the final edits for the third multiverse book. The last 'plan' we got from him was a while ago, when he had the next Safehold novel, the first new Norfessa book, and the next multiverse book in the pipeline, but all of those are either done or mostly done by now.

I'd think that means he's on to the next main timeline Honorverse book next (though he's had some health problems very recently), but that's just guessing. Certainly nothing's been formally announced, or even randomly mentioned in form posts.

Part of the reason that I posted this admittedly old information was a hope that his honor might read it and take pity upon us and give us an update on the schedule. Perhaps he still will.

I agree with most of the replies, but would point out that since "it is fairly clear what has to happen next" in the Honorverse, then writing the book should be fairly easy rather than having to spend a lot of time mulling over the story line.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:52 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Gunny wrote:I agree with most of the replies, but would point out that since "it is fairly clear what has to happen next" in the Honorverse, then writing the book should be fairly easy rather than having to spend a lot of time mulling over the story line.

I disagree. It may be easy to write a book where it is clear what has to happen, but it is NOT easy to write a good book that surprises people when they think they know what has to happen next.

Return to Honorverse