Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Uniforms for the Medical staff on a HMS ship

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uniforms for the Medical staff on a HMS ship
Post by Donnachaidh   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:59 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

So the Star Trek method?

HB of CJ wrote:Blood red head to toe. Gonna get that color sooner or later anyhow. Like painting the gun decks the same colour in years past. It also tending to prepare, (maybe) how things were going to be very quickly ... sooner or later. HB ex PM, RN, now just ex. :)
Post by Top   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

While we're on the topic of uniforms, the has been published the list and ribbon images of the various medals awarded by the Star Kingdom/Empire of Manticore. Is there any canon data on how multiple awards of each are displayed? e.g. oak leaf, star, knot, bar, numeral, etc. I only ask for costuming purposes.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Top wrote:While we're on the topic of uniforms, the has been published the list and ribbon images of the various medals awarded by the Star Kingdom/Empire of Manticore. Is there any canon data on how multiple awards of each are displayed? e.g. oak leaf, star, knot, bar, numeral, etc. I only ask for costuming purposes.

House of Steel has the RMN award ribbons and names (it's on one of the full-color glossy pages).

But I'm not aware of any data on multiple awards for each. (Though one or two examples may have been mentioned somewhere in the books)
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:05 pm

saber964
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Top wrote:While we're on the topic of uniforms, the has been published the list and ribbon images of the various medals awarded by the Star Kingdom/Empire of Manticore. Is there any canon data on how multiple awards of each are displayed? e.g. oak leaf, star, knot, bar, numeral, etc. I only ask for costuming purposes.

House of Steel has the RMN award ribbons and names (it's on one of the full-color glossy pages).

But I'm not aware of any data on multiple awards for each. (Though one or two examples may have been mentioned somewhere in the books)

It depends on the award the Star of Grayson has Crossed Swords while SKM has clusters and gold or silver Manticores
Post by jchilds   » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:50 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

The Short Victorious War, Ch. 1 wrote:Captain Dame Honor Harrington, Countess Harrington, Knight Companion of the Order of King Roger. When she was in uniform, her space-black tunic blazed with ribbons: the Manticore Cross, the Star of Grayson, the Distinguished Service Order, the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal with cluster, the blood-red stripe of the Monarch's Thanks with two clusters, two wound stripes . . . The list went on and on, and there'd been a time when she'd craved those medals, those confirmations of achievement and ability. She was proud of them even now, but they were no longer the stuff of dreams. She'd learned too much about what those bits of ribbon cost.

Bolding mine.
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:17 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Scott Bell, BuNine's heraldry and awards expert, occasionally posts here. He might see this sometime and respond himself. I know we discussed clusters in the lead-up to HoS, but I don't know if we have any kind of art for them yet, or what form they may take.

TBH, I actually thought there was something there in HoS, but I dug my copy out of the box from when I moved and checked...

Anyway, as pointed out in an earlier post (via textev), there are definitely clusters, but we just don't know for sure what they look like. I don't think it would be an issue to use something like military-style oak leaves or stars for the clusters until further details are brought up.
Post by Top   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:

Scott Bell, BuNine's heraldry and awards expert, occasionally posts here. He might see this sometime and respond himself. I know we discussed clusters in the lead-up to HoS, but I don't know if we have any kind of art for them yet, or what form they may take.

TBH, I actually thought there was something there in HoS, but I dug my copy out of the box from when I moved and checked...

Anyway, as pointed out in an earlier post (via textev), there are definitely clusters, but we just don't know for sure what they look like. I don't think it would be an issue to use something like military-style oak leaves or stars for the clusters until further details are brought up.

Yup, I noticed the Clusters, and I am assuming they are Oak Leaf Clusters unless otherwise informed. Part of my job involves assembling and vetting awards trees (US Army) so I am kinda professionally curious. :)
Post by B9Lurker   » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:54 am

B9Lurker
BuNine

Yup, I noticed the Clusters, and I am assuming they are Oak Leaf Clusters unless otherwise informed. Part of my job involves assembling and vetting awards trees (US Army) so I am kinda professionally curious. :)

Hi I have finally seen this post :D

The clusters for bravery/gallantry awards and meritorious awards are a gold nine pointed star, once you have reached a fourth award (third star) the fifth award becomes a single gold nine pointed star surrounded by a laurel wreath.

So you can have a for example, a cluster/s on the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Like Honor) and on the Manticore Cross, Osterman Cross etc, etc.

There are more cluster devices, like crowns, Manticores etc, but at this time I'm not going to explain. ;)

Scott.

Return to Honorverse