Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: markusschaber and 33 guests

Flag officers for two ship divisions?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Flag officers for two ship divisions?
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:43 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:
munroburton wrote:Minotaur:
Broadside: 30CM, 28PD
Chase: 9M, 4G, 10CM, 10PD
LACs: 100

Hydra:
Broadside: 36CM, 36PD
Chase: 12M, 12CM, 12PD
LACs: 112

Covington:
Broadside: 30CM, 28PD
Chase: 12CM, 10PD
LACs: 124

HoS' description for the Covington says the deleted offensive armanent was entirely given over to LAC bays. It's derived from the Minotaur, rather than the Hydra.

I am a bit surprised they didn't add more PD and CM in place of the deleted chase weapons. Unless that is where they squeezed in a few more LAC bays?

This is what happens when I don't have my books to hand :D

Looking at the artwork in HoS, I think the space in the hammerhead may be taken up by things that are normally in the main hull on other ships. The Minotaur- class has three rows of LAC bays down each side, whereas the Covington-class has four, which would explain how they got the increased LAC group aboard, but the did it on a ship with the same beam and height (is that the right word for the vertical dimension of the hull?).

Amazingly, 'height', as far as I can find. 'Draught' is keel to waterline, so it won't apply to a starship (unless you dunk it in a liquid).
Given how deep the LAC bays must go (two LACs end-to-end accound for more a good three-quarters of the available beam), there can't be much room in the main hull for anything but the core (reactors, compensator, hyper generator, bridge, CIC etc), so pretty much everything else must be in the tapers and the hammerheads.

The Covington bays are a bit tighter between one another top and bottom and the rows get closer to the top and bottom of the hull compared to the Minotaur. In both cases, there's going to be most of the systems inside squeezed into the tapers and the hammerheads. The Minotaur just has bit more squeezed in with the LAC bays in the middle instead of more LAC bays in the Covington.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

I've been reading some of the older stuff I missed--I won't quote all the people who commented.

refering to some of the original posters' comments, I think "division" is a little flexible, and is used for any sized element short of a full squadron. The SLN "division" at Saltash was 4 ships, but at Zunker was 6 ships.

It looks like the WH admiralty is moving back to traditional unit sizes with Batron 81, 106, and Terekhov's squadrons; what I am hoping for (but not holding my breath) is for CPT Zavala to get his promised reinforcements to get his squadron up to strength; you know, an additional eleven ships to get him up to the maximum of 16 for a DD squadron. . . . and a promotion to Commodore.

Rob
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:38 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:I've been reading some of the older stuff I missed--I won't quote all the people who commented.

refering to some of the original posters' comments, I think "division" is a little flexible, and is used for any sized element short of a full squadron. The SLN "division" at Saltash was 4 ships, but at Zunker was 6 ships.

It looks like the WH admiralty is moving back to traditional unit sizes with Batron 81, 106, and Terekhov's squadrons; what I am hoping for (but not holding my breath) is for CPT Zavala to get his promised reinforcements to get his squadron up to strength; you know, an additional eleven ships to get him up to the maximum of 16 for a DD squadron. . . . and a promotion to Commodore.

Rob

"NEWS UPDATE" Forces under the Command of Royal Manticorian Navy's "Mad" Commodore Zavala rip through the Blanders Sector SLN Frontier Base destroying the base and all defenders. The Blanders Base, defended by standard SLN fortifications, is home to 3 "Quick Reaction" squadrons of BCs, and well as multiple squadrons of CAs and lighter ships assigned to patrol the sector. Sources close to the Navy report the entire action was accomplished with nothing but 16 Light Cruisers......"
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote: Manticorian Navy's "Mad" Commodore Zavala rip through the Blanders Sector SLN Frontier Base destroying the base and all defenders. The Blanders Base, defended by standard SLN fortifications, is home to 3 "Quick Reaction" squadrons of BCs, and well as multiple squadrons of CAs and lighter ships assigned to patrol the sector. Sources close to the Navy report the entire action was accomplished with nothing but 16 Light Cruisers......"

"Naval Information officers confirm today the success of Destroyer Squadron 301 in . . . ."" ---Rob

:D
Post by HB of CJ   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:26 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

One would think that the senior captain would be in charge and if necessary, everybody would move up a bit and wear more than one hat. But for political purposes and to maintain appearances, (both high treason in my view) bodies were promoted to higher unnecessary ranks. Kinda like the political situation today with the US military. Brass bloat. Too many officers. Just me.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:37 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:One would think that the senior captain would be in charge and if necessary, everybody would move up a bit and wear more than one hat. But for political purposes and to maintain appearances, (both high treason in my view) bodies were promoted to higher unnecessary ranks. Kinda like the political situation today with the US military. Brass bloat. Too many officers. Just me.

A captain will be, or SHOULD be, plenty busy commanding his or her ship.
Post by HB of CJ   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:39 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

You do understand that a good navy officer can function just fine on zero sleep for extended periods of time don't you? Eventually they get to the point where sleep is not required at all! :)
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

HB of CJ wrote:One would think that the senior captain would be in charge and if necessary, everybody would move up a bit and wear more than one hat. But for political purposes and to maintain appearances, (both high treason in my view) bodies were promoted to higher unnecessary ranks. Kinda like the political situation today with the US military. Brass bloat. Too many officers. Just me.

Dunno about treason, seems just like ordinary politics.--Rob

Tenshinai wrote:A captain will be, or SHOULD be, plenty busy commanding his or her ship.

Whoever the senior officer on the spot is, is responsible for all juniors, whether they are officially his or not. Example of a Captain taking a Squadron, after the loss of the flagship: Cpt Pavel Young assuming command of the CruRon after the loss of Crusader. You get to add all the other things that go with command (like, a staff)AFTER the action ist over, and you have time to attend to it.

Another instance of a senior officer taking control of other, less senior captains---TEREKHOV'S SQUADRON.

Since it seems the typical DD commander is a LT Commander, I wouldn't be surprised to the standard rank for a DD squadron commander isn't Commander, and a Flotilla commander would be a junior grade captain. . . . before BOMA, Yawata, BOMA2. Now?

Oh, and it's likely that if the CO is busy with the squadron, the XO is likely running the action for the ship, along with the TO. Not really any different than if the CO had been a casualty.

FWIW; YMMV

Rob

Return to Honorverse