Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Abbreviation pronunciations

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Abbreviation pronunciations
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:33 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

I was curious about how other readers read 'LAC' and 'CLAC'. Judging from the joke about 'COLAC' in Echoes of Honor, 'LAC' is pronounced in-universe as 'lack', rather than 'ell-ay-see' or whatever else. (No temptation toward 'lah-see' or 'ell-ack' to report here, for instance.)

But 'CLAC' - I don't recall any indications about how it's pronounced in-universe. I sometimes try to read it as 'clack' but that never, ever sounds right and I default to 'see-lack'. 'See-ell-ay-see' is hopelessly long, and nothing else seems like a realistic candidate.

How do they sound in your heads?
Re: Abbreviation pronunciations
Post by Relax   » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:39 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:I was curious about how other readers read 'LAC' and 'CLAC'. Judging from the joke about 'COLAC' in Echoes of Honor, 'LAC' is pronounced in-universe as 'lack', rather than 'ell-ay-see' or whatever else. (No temptation toward 'lah-see' or 'ell-ack' to report here, for instance.)

But 'CLAC' - I don't recall any indications about how it's pronounced in-universe. I sometimes try to read it as 'clack' but that never, ever sounds right and I default to 'see-lack'. 'See-ell-ay-see' is hopelessly long, and nothing else seems like a realistic candidate.

Still would have been great if it was COW-LAC(commanding officer wing) :lol: :lol: :lol:

LAC = LACK in my book for pronounciation.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by looksbeforeheleaps   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:42 am

looksbeforeheleaps
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

JeffEngel wrote:I was curious about how other readers read 'LAC' and 'CLAC'. Judging from the joke about 'COLAC' in Echoes of Honor, 'LAC' is pronounced in-universe as 'lack', rather than 'ell-ay-see' or whatever else. (No temptation toward 'lah-see' or 'ell-ack' to report here, for instance.)

Personally, I have always read those as:

CLAC = see-lack
COLAC = co-lack
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:45 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

looksbeforeheleaps wrote:

Personally, I have always read those as:

CLAC = see-lack
COLAC = co-lack

^^^This.^^^
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:28 am

crewdude48
Commodore

I always read them "sea lack" and "co lack"

However, I always read LAC as "ell ay sea.". Calling a war ship "a lack" sounds kind of demeaning to me.
Post by Yow   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:39 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

My experience is that while separate vowels are rare I think, it is usually broken up into two or three letters for a syllable with single consonants separate. Ex. CLAC (see lack). Unless a word is actually spelled out. Ex. BUSHIPS (bu ships). IYAOYAS ( eye yo yas) if you ain't ordnance you aint shit. Only vowel acronym that came to mind. F'n BB stackers.

crewdude48 wrote:I always read them "sea lack" and "co lack"

However, I always read LAC as "ell ay sea.". Calling a war ship "a lack" sounds kind of demeaning to me.

I also agree that it sounds demeaning but military personnel tend to be sarcastic, cynical and of the low brow humor variety and then after a while it doesn't even register as an acronym without intentionally thinking about it. It just becomes it. I think we tend to go for either the coolest sounding pronunciation or the easiest (also translate as shortest). That's why my mind auto inserts the sound lack. Three less sounds to rattle off. Then there's BBOD-Boat Bay Officer of the Deck. No reason it can't be pronounced bee bod. Just not by me. It's not cool. Bee bee oh dee it is.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Relax   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:00 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Since the ship CLAC, is a "thing," it will be pronounced as the shortest possible. It will be CLACK. Two syllables. It certainly will not be 3. c, la, ck. cl-ack is shorter.

COLAC will be pronounced however the military thinks is most austere yet respectable. Why it was not COWLAC.

So, Co-Lack = COLAC
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Yow   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:00 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Relax wrote:Since the ship CLAC, is a "thing," it will be pronounced as the shortest possible. It will be CLACK. Two syllables. It certainly will not be 3. c, la, ck. cl-ack is shorter.

COLAC will be pronounced however the military thinks is most austere yet respectable. Why it was not COWLAC.

So, Co-Lack = COLAC

I don't think clack is cool. Short but not cool.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Relax   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:20 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Yow wrote:
Relax wrote:Since the ship CLAC, is a "thing," it will be pronounced as the shortest possible. It will be CLACK. Two syllables. It certainly will not be 3. c, la, ck. cl-ack is shorter.

So, Co-Lack = COLAC

I don't think clack is cool. Short but not cool.

So, what you are saying is, if I pronounce it in my head the way you do, I get a whole new series to read? :o
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Kizarvexis   » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:33 am

Kizarvexis
Captain (Junior Grade)

I am of the lack (LAC), see-lack (CLAC), co-lack (COLAC) variety, since this seems to be a informal survey. ;)

Edit to add my wife's viewpoint. She reads Honorverse for the relationship and the vengeance on the bad guys. She skims the battles and info dumps and if she has a question, I play guru on the mountain. So she sees LAC, CLAC, and COLAC as ship, ship and officer. :lol:

Return to Honorverse