Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JacekC, Theemile and 134 guests

Captured Solly SDs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Captured Solly SDs
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

snipped for brevity

Jonathan_S wrote: Actually Roszak's "forward control" Marksmen were between his arsenal ship freighters and the People's Navy in Exile ships they were engaging. That's possition would potentially allow them to take control of the missiles after they'd overflow the Marksmen; which would be compatible with only rear-facing control links. (But would require the arsenal ships have the ability to feed at least basic flight data and launch orders to the missiles they were carrying; though they wouldn't ne ed to hold a control link after launch)

The control links are laser based--I would be astonished if the forward sensors couldn't detect it and re-direct it to the on-board computers, either for telemetry reasons (if it had the right codes) or as target emitter data (if it doesn't).

Rob
Post by Vince   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:snipped for brevity

Jonathan_S wrote: Actually Roszak's "forward control" Marksmen were between his arsenal ship freighters and the People's Navy in Exile ships they were engaging. That's possition would potentially allow them to take control of the missiles after they'd overflow the Marksmen; which would be compatible with only rear-facing control links. (But would require the arsenal ships have the ability to feed at least basic flight data and launch orders to the missiles they were carrying; though they wouldn't ne ed to hold a control link after launch)

The control links are laser based--I would be astonished if the forward sensors couldn't detect it and re-direct it to the on-board computers, either for telemetry reasons (if it had the right codes) or as target emitter data (if it doesn't).

Rob

Do you have anything to support what I bolded in your post? I don't recall anything in either the text, the pearls, or David's posts on this forum that specify the hardware details of fire control links, aside from the numbers that some ships carry, or, that ship-killer (and their related ECM missiles) and counter-missile control links can't control the other's type's missiles.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Re: Parole? (was Re: Captured Solly SDs)
Post by Rakhmamort   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:51 am

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

Bill Woods wrote:
WilliamHall wrote: Crew them with the SLN survivors after destroying their weapons systems and send them back, in lots of 5-10, to different core worlds.

No drain with POWs. There is at least a chance that the truth of the encounters escapes into public knowledge. You require parole of the crews (who might be smart enough to refuse further combat anyway, that's a PR hit.) And then the SLN [idiots] maybe waste their resources in the same way it has been suggested here, trying to fix them.

This is one of the better ideas that I've seen. Find groups of survivors that come from the same planet/sector and send them home in the neutered SDs. Let them spread the news on what happened when the SLN tangled with the Manties.

PR wise, whatever orders/news coming from Terra is probably slanted against the SEM so by returning their sons and daughters , Manticore gains a lot of goodwill from people in the non-core worlds. There is also the added benefit of reducing the number of POWs to care for.

Somebody already mentioned that there is no need for parole. These POWs saw what the Manticoran navy did to the SLN. Those from Crandall's fleet met cruisers and got beat. I sincerely doubt they'd want to go back and fight the Manties again.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:snipped for brevity

Rob

Vince wrote:
Do you have anything to support what I bolded in your post? I don't recall anything in either the text, the pearls, or David's posts on this forum that specify the hardware details of fire control links, aside from the numbers that some ships carry, or, that ship-killer (and their related ECM missiles) and counter-missile control links can't control the other's type's missiles.

Hi Vince, and yes I remember reading all that stuff.

I infer it from two pieces of information: first, that the sublight control links from the broadside are so highly directional that they cannot control missiles on the chase; second, the constant references to "com lasers" instead of "radio" aside from the one reference to "omnidirectional radio at this piddling range" by Abby Hearns, boarding Emerald Dawn.

I spent 7 plus years doing voice intercept for the Army--I am well aware of the principals of radio, and that such signals can be directional (when they aren't warped by terrain, weather, underground ores, and a thousand other things). But apparently they only use omnidirectional radio as a last resort. Which leaves what? Also, it was a comm laser intercept that got the DD Arrow to notice Haven's surveillance rig back in SVW; why not use something a little less energetic than a laser for a covert mission?

it also occurs to me,that you have the sketches of the missiles provided by "Jaynes" at the back of IFF; I didn't see anything like an antenna element in any of their "telemetry" --so I assume that, like nearly ALL their comm signals except the FTL, it's laser. Because if it was RADIO, they could've had off-bore firing centuries before this. . . . . :) Which is an argument I have heard once or twice. And agree with.

If I'm wrong, and if it matters enough to the author, it will show up in the text someday. Or not. :shock:

regards,

Rob

Return to Honorverse