Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

HMS Casey

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
HMS Casey
Post by Fox2!   » Sun May 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Simple question: Is HMS Casey on the List of Honor?
Last edited by Fox2! on Mon May 25, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: HMS Casey
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon May 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Simple question: Is HMS Casey on the List of Honor?

We don't know. She's only mentioned in the short story A Call to Arms, and it doesn't say. (I did a quick ebook search to confirm that there isn't another passing mention somewhere)

The concept probably didn't exist back then, but she might have been added retroactively when the practice was established. At this point probably only RFC could say (though someone at BuNine might know if they'd tried to make an internal reference List of Honor)
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon May 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

I wouldn't be surprised if the concept originated with HMS Nike. But she probably is on the list retroactively.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon May 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

We have not run across a contemporary HMS Casey. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Unless the Locatello faction was able to prevent Casey from being added to the List when it was created.
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon May 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:We have not run across a contemporary HMS Casey. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Unless the Locatello faction was able to prevent Casey from being added to the List when it was created.

The last question only becomes an issue if A: the Locatello faction is still active and a significant political force when the issue comes up. B: If the Locatello faction is in a position to influence the list since I'm not certain if politicians are involved with the list or if it is strictly a navy affair. C: the Locatello faction cares enough to waste influence fighting Casey being placed on the list.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon May 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:
Fox2! wrote:We have not run across a contemporary HMS Casey. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

The last question only becomes an issue if A: the Locatello faction is still active and a significant political force when the issue comes up. B: If the Locatello faction is in a position to influence the list since I'm not certain if politicians are involved with the list or if it is strictly a navy affair. C: the Locatello faction cares enough to waste influence fighting Casey being placed on the list.

It seems just as likely that the List didn't get started until long after Casey; in which case nobody may have thought to go back to add long done ships (possibly as a way to keep the list from getting too large too quickly)
Post by dreamrider   » Fri May 29, 2015 3:53 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

When you look at the size of the RMN even 50 years ago (series time), the List is already pretty long.

They undoubtedly also have some protocol and politically driven naming conventions, and want to leave room for honoring recent heroes by name, etc. Think HMS Manticore, or HMS Alistair McKeon.

dreamrider
Post by saber964   » Fri May 29, 2015 5:21 pm

saber964
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:When you look at the size of the RMN even 50 years ago (series time), the List is already pretty long.

They undoubtedly also have some protocol and politically driven naming conventions, and want to leave room for honoring recent heroes by name, etc. Think HMS Manticore, or HMS Alistair McKeon.

dreamrider

The List of Honor is for ships that have distinguished themselves in combat. The USN has an unofficial list of names that keep cropping up like Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Wasp Porter, Rodgers, Truxton, Bainbridge, and Johnston.

Trivia name the only state to never have a capital ship named after it in commission.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri May 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:The List of Honor is for ships that have distinguished themselves in combat. The USN has an unofficial list of names that keep cropping up like Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Wasp Porter, Rodgers, Truxton, Bainbridge, and Johnston.

Trivia name the only state to never have a capital ship named after it in commission.
Montana, isn't it?
Twice snubbed when it's named BB was canceled.

(To be fair, I remembered the answer and the WWII BB, but I'd totally forgotten about the earlier one canceled due to the Washington Treaty. Didn't see that until I hit Wikipedia to sanity check my answer)
Post by Fox2!   » Sat May 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Even Alaska and Hawaii (and Guam, the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Samoa) had battlecruisers named for them (Philippines, Puerto Rico and Samoa were cancelled before their keels were laid, and Hawaii never completed).

An interesting side note is that the Alaska class was assigned the hull symbol "CB" allegedly for "Large Cruiser." not "Battlecruiser." The Lexington class battlecruisers would have used the symbol "CC".

Return to Honorverse