Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 29 guests

Book Markups.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Book Markups.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Tue May 19, 2015 6:34 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Recently, I have been looking to expand my Weber collection, and decided to try and geth THOTQ in the limited edition version, to go with my OBS version. However, looking round, while OBS was $80 all up for me, THOTQ is only being offered at 800+. someones trying to make bank off us readers, and it certainly isnt baen or david......
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Re: Book Markups.
Post by SWM   » Tue May 19, 2015 8:23 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:Recently, I have been looking to expand my Weber collection, and decided to try and geth THOTQ in the limited edition version, to go with my OBS version. However, looking round, while OBS was $80 all up for me, THOTQ is only being offered at 800+. someones trying to make bank off us readers, and it certainly isnt baen or david......

Are you surprised that the leather-bound signed limited-editions are being sold as high-priced collectors items? That was their entire purpose. When there are only 1000 copies, their resale value to collectors is very high.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Spacekiwi   » Tue May 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

NO, more the fact that I was able to get the OBS version for 80, and THOTQ is 800, or 10 times more. Both off amazon too.

SWM wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:Recently, I have been looking to expand my Weber collection, and decided to try and geth THOTQ in the limited edition version, to go with my OBS version. However, looking round, while OBS was $80 all up for me, THOTQ is only being offered at 800+. someones trying to make bank off us readers, and it certainly isnt baen or david......

Are you surprised that the leather-bound signed limited-editions are being sold as high-priced collectors items? That was their entire purpose. When there are only 1000 copies, their resale value to collectors is very high.
`

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu May 21, 2015 2:47 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

[quote="Spacekiwi"]NO, more the fact that I was able to get the OBS version for 80, and THOTQ is 800, or 10 times more. Both off amazon too.

Higher demand - and a number of people who don't really care about getting them all bought the second book for just this purpose. I suspect that when ASVW comes out in leather, that 1) there will be a lot more copies printed, and 2) it is going to sell out very quickly.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Fair enough. just have to be quicker next time, and hope a copy of THOTQ comes availble at some point.....

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Higher demand - and a number of people who don't really care about getting them all bought the second book for just this purpose. I suspect that when ASVW comes out in leather, that 1) there will be a lot more copies printed, and 2) it is going to sell out very quickly.
`

Post by SWM   » Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:NO, more the fact that I was able to get the OBS version for 80, and THOTQ is 800, or 10 times more. Both off amazon too.

A Short Victorious War came out in leatherbound a year ago. Field of Dishonor comes out in leatherbound in next month.

And Baen has said that all of the leatherbound books will be limited to 1000 copies. In part this is because David has to sign every copy by hand. The other reason is because they are intended to be limited edition collectors books. It is a conscious decision.

All of the leatherbound limited editions of the Honor Harrington books have sold out quickly. Within a few weeks of publication it was nearly impossible to get a copy, for each of the three volumes that have been published so far. Get your pre-order in now for Field of Dishonor.
Post by SWM   » Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

I just reviewed some old posts in this forum. Less than 2 weeks after the OBS leather bound edition was released, people were reporting here that all distributors declared it out of stock. It was only available from third-party sources at prices ranging from $60 to $180. I suspect it was actually out of stock within days. Current prices from third parties on Amazon are $350-$500.

You were very lucky to get OBS at $80. The price won't be coming down.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu May 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

I know., it was a bit weird, but i did manage to get it a fair bit after it was released for some reason. Just really lucky I guess, or i might have been the last to buy.

SWM wrote:I just reviewed some old posts in this forum. Less than 2 weeks after the OBS leather bound edition was released, people were reporting here that all distributors declared it out of stock. It was only available from third-party sources at prices ranging from $60 to $180. I suspect it was actually out of stock within days. Current prices from third parties on Amazon are $350-$500.

You were very lucky to get OBS at $80. The price won't be coming down.
`

Return to Honorverse