Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Torch Navy

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Torch Navy
Post by Hornblower   » Wed May 20, 2015 6:54 am

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Vince wrote:
Caseyorourke wrote:I am probably being incredibly dense here, but I keep seeing the initials IIRC popping up here and there. What does this mean? Or is it as much a deep dark secret as RFC's mind and future plot twists?

IIRC: Abbreviation for If I Remember Correctly.

Thanks. I have wondered as well.
Post by Hutch   » Wed May 20, 2015 9:18 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Caseyorourke wrote:I am probably being incredibly dense here, but I keep seeing the initials IIRC popping up here and there. What does this mean? Or is it as much a deep dark secret as RFC's mind and future plot twists?

Vince wrote:IIRC: Abbreviation for If I Remember Correctly.

Hornblower wrote:[Thanks. I have wondered as well.

As one who uses this often, my apologies, I thought the term was common usage and everybody know what it meant; my bad.

I always used it as "If I Recall Correctly", although that is an inconsequential difference from Remember.

Just for the record, these are other 'quickies' I use:

IMHO: In My Humble Opinion (actually, not so humble, but it's my opinion)
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary (you may disagree with me...you'll be wrong, of course, but you might... ;) )
FYI: For Your Information (usually before making a quote from textev)
Textev: Textual Evidence, that is, a direct quote from David Weber's books to prove a point (I added this because it confused the hell out of me when I first saw it).
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SWM   » Wed May 20, 2015 10:03 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Heehee...if you thought obscure abbreviations for social media was an invention of modern teens, think again. :)

IMHO, YMMV, IIRC, and numerous others date to the original social media revolution--the dialup BBS, UNIX talk, and similar communication tools back when the internet was ARPANet. Smilies also date from back then. :D

These venerable abbreviations have been common in internet forums and mailing lists ever since the late seventies or early eighties, though it appears that they are increasingly being forgotten. :cry:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed May 20, 2015 10:07 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:As one who uses this often, my apologies, I thought the term was common usage and everybody know what it meant; my bad.

I always used it as "If I Recall Correctly", although that is an inconsequential difference from Remember.

YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary (you may disagree with me...you'll be wrong, of course, but you might... ;) )
Textev: Textual Evidence, that is, a direct quote from David Weber's books to prove a point (I added this because it confused the hell out of me when I first saw it).
Oh, and I'll chime in with two that are specific to this board - both ways to refer to David Weber

MWW: Mad Wizard Weber
RFC: Runsforcelery - David's username on this board. (He hasn't been posting in Honorverse lately, but he sometimes needs a break from writing and then we'll get a flurry of posts)
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
Hutch wrote:As one who uses this often, my apologies, I thought the term was common usage and everybody know what it meant; my bad.

Oh, and I'll chime in with two that are specific to this board - both ways to refer to David Weber

MWW: Mad Wizard Weber
RFC: Runsforcelery - David's username on this board. (He hasn't been posting in Honorverse lately, but he sometimes needs a break from writing and then we'll get a flurry of posts)

HTH: Hope That Helps
HAND: Have A Nice Day!
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by jchilds   » Thu May 21, 2015 1:38 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Also, IDK is shorthand for I Don't Know.

That one can be hard for some people to ask about.

Person A - What does IDK mean?

Person B - I don't know.

Person A - You too? Everybody I've asked doesn't know what IDK means, but they keep using it. Sooooo frustrating!!!!! :cry:

Person B - Sigh...
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu May 21, 2015 2:38 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

jchilds wrote:Also, IDK is shorthand for I Don't Know.

Person B - I don't know.

Person A - You too? Everybody I've asked doesn't know what IDK means, but they keep using it. Sooooo frustrating!!!!! :cry:

Person B - Sigh...

And Who's on First?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by stewart   » Fri May 22, 2015 9:31 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

JeffEngel wrote:"ericth"]I think there's a decent possibility that the system containing the destruct charges might get removed or at minimum discovered as part of the upgrade process.

The same would go, incidentally, for software-based suicide "charges".

In addition to being purely amusing, the possibility that the suicide devices could be removed without even being detected in the refit process would not be something the Alignment would have had to count on when they hid them from the PNE crews - that's nothing the PNE crews would have been doing, after all.[/quote]

------------

IIRC (to use a phrase) -- the refits of the captured MARS-class CA's was to bring them up to Mars-D (likely export) level; that "should" remove the susceptible fusion plants and change enough hardware that any directive code will go into never-never land or the closest bit-bucket.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Fri May 22, 2015 9:37 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:"jchilds"]Also, IDK is shorthand for I Don't Know.

Person B - I don't know.

Person B - Sigh...

And Who's on First?[/quote]

----------

What's on Second ?
I don't know Who's on Third
Why?
Because
and
I don't Give a Darn !

Oh -- He's our shortstop

-- Sorry, couldn't resist.

-- Stewart
Post by Hutch   » Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

stewart wrote:And Who's on First?[/quote]

----------

What's on Second ?
I don't know Who's on Third
Why?
Because
and
I don't Give a Darn !

Oh -- He's our shortstop

-- Sorry, couldn't resist.

-- Stewart

And it you can divert us that much, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_gSWTQKE-0 (skip to 1:30)

Perhaps the finest comedy routine ever.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse