Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 8 guests

Promotion for CWO Harkness

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Promotion for CWO Harkness
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue May 19, 2015 1:17 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

jchilds wrote:I suspect the only way to make Harkness an "officer" would be to take the example of Jonas Adcock and push it about as far as you can, ...

Harkness has a hole-card that those who wish to make him an officer can't trump -- it is called the shore patrol; Harkness would rather go to jail than be an officer; not to mention he's got more than enough time in to retire even in wartime.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Fox2!   » Tue May 19, 2015 2:36 am

Fox2!
Commodore

jchilds wrote:I suspect the only way to make Harkness an "officer" would be ... sticking said CWO (probably kicking and screaming) into a job position that carries the rank with it.

Which they essentially did by making him Scotty Tremaine's staff EWO - normally an O-4 slot.

But he's still a CW4. He just does not want to be a commissioned officer.
Post by Kytheros   » Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
jchilds wrote:I suspect the only way to make Harkness an "officer" would be to take the example of Jonas Adcock and push it about as far as you can, ...

Harkness has a hole-card that those who wish to make him an officer can't trump -- it is called the shore patrol; Harkness would rather go to jail than be an officer; not to mention he's got more than enough time in to retire even in wartime.

Harkness has reformed these days, between Tremaine and getting married.
Besides, Harkness can just hack BuPers to make the idea disappear and send whoever had it to whatever the RMN's hellhole duty assignment is these days.

But, giving him a job that effectively makes him an officer in the role he plays is, as Fox2! says, essentially what they did.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue May 19, 2015 11:57 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Kytheros wrote:Harkness has reformed these days, between Tremaine and getting married.
Besides, Harkness can just hack BuPers to make the idea disappear and send whoever had it to whatever the RMN's hellhole duty assignment is these days.

He's also promised to stop hacking the personnel computers, too. :roll: But both of those promises would last a very short time after someone tried to make him an officer.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Tue May 19, 2015 12:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If Harkness was to begin marching up the ladder with promotions, won't that naturally break up Beauty and the Beast?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Tue May 19, 2015 3:59 pm

saber964
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Kytheros wrote:Harkness has reformed these days, between Tremaine and getting married.

He's also promised to stop hacking the personnel computers, too. :roll: But both of those promises would last a very short time after someone tried to make him an officer.

S/he would probably be assigned to MARS (Manticore Arctic Research Service) and assigned to Adamson-Prescott station located at Sphinx's South Pole for a planetary year.
Post by Kytheros   » Tue May 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

I think he'd pass on the shore patrol option unless he had absolutely no other options to dodge a commission. After all, taking that option would likely irritate Iris, and Horace is bright enough to avoid getting in trouble if he doesn't have to.

Hacking BuPers, while something he's stopped doing (mostly), is something he can do and avoid getting in trouble for, because while it might be 'known' that he did it, there wouldn't be enough in the way of evidence or proof to get him for it.
Post by Gun Boat Diplomacy   » Tue May 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Gun Boat Diplomacy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

to make my point ;) here's a quote from Ashes of Victory. "Even worse, a lot of those ex-noncom warrant officers were almost certain, eventually, to wind up exchanging the warrants they ought never to have been offered in the first place for regular commissions."
Post by akira.taylor   » Tue May 19, 2015 7:59 pm

akira.taylor
Captain (Junior Grade)

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:to make my point ;) here's a quote from Ashes of Victory. "Even worse, a lot of those ex-noncom warrant officers were almost certain, eventually, to wind up exchanging the warrants they ought never to have been offered in the first place for regular commissions."

I would say the the next paragraph kind of counters that argument:
Ashes of Victory wrote:Among the undeserving souls, who, strictly on the basis of their unfair advantages in experience, training, and ability, had received warrants, however, was a surprisingly large leavening of men and women like Sir Horace Harkness. Individuals who would have been happier to cut their own throats than accept regular commissions.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Akira Taylor wrote (in part):
Individuals who would have been happier to cut their own throats than accept regular commissions.

So, instead of giving them a "Regular" commission, give them a "Reserve" commission. Them call them to indefinite extended active duty in their Reserve ranks.

Or would the equivalent of DOPMA (Defense Officer Personnel Modernization Act) play hob with that idea?

Late a "Career Reserve" officer of the United States.

Return to Honorverse